@Ayunes Overhead mount for ScanGauge. Excellent. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rigged up a crude mount for my Scangauge while we wait for @Ayune to come up with small opening Homelink adapter.

Some sheet metal bent as a backstop, pinned down with the stock screws. Velcro holding the Scangauge to the sheet metal. Not super clean or factory looking, but I have my ashtray back to hold my change again.

IMG_20191003_144954-01.jpeg
IMG_20191003_144338-01.jpeg
IMG_20191003_145238-01.jpeg
IMG_20191003_145250-01.jpeg

Rigged up a crude mount for my Scangauge while we wait for @Ayune to come up with small opening Homelink adapter.

Some sheet metal bent as a backstop, pinned down with the stock screws. Velcro holding the Scangauge to the sheet metal. Not super clean or factory looking, but I have my ashtray back to hold my change again.

View attachment 2098021View attachment 2098022View attachment 2098023View attachment 2098024
Nice job! Hanging down like that, does the ScanGauge block much of the view through the mirror?

View attachment 2098021View attachment 2098022View attachment 2098023View attachment 2098024
That looks great. Mine is currently clipped to the headliner behind my sunvisor and I can't wait to get it out from under there. This might be a good stopgap measure until the 3D printed piece is ready. Got any kind of template for the bent sheet metal bracket?

That looks great. Mine is currently clipped to the headliner behind my sunvisor and I can't wait to get it out from under there. This might be a good stopgap measure until the 3D printed piece is ready. Got any kind of template for the bent sheet metal bracket?

I had some thin steel I cut into a long rectangle, then hammered it to a 90 in my vise. Tin snips up the fold, to the corners of the Scangauge and then just bent with pliers until in was close. Some heavy duty velco and looks good from the internet.

Last edited:
dgdg.PNG

Guys, is this the correct spray for the tan interiors? Ordered the mount and it arrived this week, excellent quality!!!

Thanks!!!

Nice job! Hanging down like that, does the ScanGauge block much of the view through the mirror?

I do see the bottom of the SG in the mirror sometimes. I really don't notice though, just disappears unless I'm looking for it.

I think a better application for these "mini homelinks" would be to remove it all together and use a template to cut the correct sized opening for a the standard mount. It would probably be difficult to have clean cut lines though.

Finally got mine installed.

I might have routed the cable wrong, it won’t sit all the way back. Might try to reposition the cable but there was a metal bracket behind there.

A3F4367D-B774-4A27-AF53-243719A58DCE.jpeg

Finally got mine installed.

I might have routed the cable wrong, it won’t sit all the way back. Might try to reposition the cable but there was a metal bracket behind there.

View attachment 2157302
Looks good! The face of the ScanGauge should be flush with the sides if the Velcro behind it is the same thickness as supplied with the gauge. The bottom corners should be protruding a bit like it looks in the pic. But no biggie if it’s slightly forward or back as long as it’s secure in there.

That is probably what it is, I couldn’t find the velcro because I had sent the unit back to SG for a software update. I used double sided tape. Just found that velcro so I am certain it will fit fine once a swap it in.

Can anyone let me know what general area the LEDs illuminate at night?

I want to relocate my SG2 and this mount would be awesome, I have a 2000 LC so no factory “mood/courtesy” lights. But would do a set of red LEDs if they worked well.

TIA,
Zack

^^^^

Pretty much the area of the center console (mostly just aft of the shifter). There is some 'blend' of the light but distinctly separated beams towards the driver's and passenger side. I would recommend going with 'green' instead of red. Red will be too subdued if you are trying to read anything, but would be OK if you just need to softly illuminate the area and preserver your night vision.
Map Lights1.jpg
Map Lights.jpg

Last edited:

I want to relocate my SG2 and this mount would be awesome, I have a 2000 LC so no factory “mood/courtesy” lights. But would do a set of red LEDs if they worked well.

TIA,
Zack
The mount that’s for sale at Shapeways doesn’t have the two LEDs anymore. They weren’t really bright enough and got in the way of the HomeLink control boxes.

A brighter solution is to stick a 4” LED strip above the ScanGauge and run the wires above the mount through a small hole. I have a few of these self-adhesive LED strips if you’d like me to send you a couple to try out.
B4BE8E1C-9240-4E60-84BC-AAA9D98AB5B6.jpeg
D664E3A9-9BFE-4C9C-8E41-C065B944CB38.jpeg
CF6E50A6-745B-4C74-B1DB-4726F4F36E6D.jpeg

Excellent!! Cant wait to see what you come up with for the smaller Homelink panel! 🤙🏼

@Ayune Sorry to bring up an old thread, but did the mount for the smaller homelink opening ever get made? I checked the website, no joy. Just looking for an update!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom