@Ayunes Overhead mount for ScanGauge. Excellent. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have ScanGauges for both my 80 Series and LX470. Finding a good spot to mount the unit in my 80 Series was no problem but for the 100 Series things were not as easy. Yes, there are several viable spots that folks already use (Behind the steering wheel on the clamshell. In front and to right of the Trans shifter on the console or sitting on top of the ashtray (when pulled out).

All of these locations allow for easy mounting and generally provide a good view of the ScanGauge. But I wanted something that didn’t look quite so ‘added on’.

Something more ‘factory’ looking….. if you will.

Enter @Ayune:

Seems one of our Forum members had already come up with a solution for my wants. An insert that takes the place of the Sunglass holder in the factory overhead that will house the ScanGauge. It also provides map lights and up to two switches. Perfect!

So I ordered one and received it a short time later. The 3D printing is excellent and it fits well in the factory overhead. The unit (at present) is white in color and requires painting to match your interior color scheme.

I found that for those with the ‘Ivory’ interior that Krylon Khaki Camo # 4291 is a very close match. I chose to paint my entire overhead since I already had it down.

The ‘insert’ comes as a kit and includes all the wiring and connectors to make it as plug & play as is possible. Once assembled… you need only splice two wires into the existing factory wires. It all makes for a very tidy package.

Also included in the kit are very simple to understand instructions…complete with illustrations and tips. It is professionally done at every turn. If you can’t install your ScanGauge using this kit then you shouldn’t be driving.

Overhead Raw Mount1.jpg

Overhead Raw Mount2.jpg

Overhead Paint2.jpg

Overhead5.jpg

Overhead6.jpg

Additional pics provided next post:

Last edited:
Was looking at scan gauges today. This is slick. How can we order the Mount? @Ayune ?

I just ordered a ScanGauge a few days ago. How much is this mount?

You will need to contact @Ayune for current pricing and availability.

The installation is not difficult. Although the instructions show/recommend removing the drivers side sun-visors in order to pull the headliner down enough to route the RJ45 cable, I found that there is room in the headliner (just in front of the moon-roof) to fish it through there while leaving the visors in place.

Even though I'm discussing it with Ayune, I'm curious about other members. I was originally going to do an overhead switch panel in that same location, but with one of these, it (obviously) won't work. Has anyone come up with an alternative to the overhead or the blanks in the side panel for accessory switches? (I saw it discussed briefly in other SG threads but figured I'd start it here too)

Talking with Ayune, doing what I originally wanted (modifying his mount) won't work out too well, and I'd have to create a whole replacement that gets rid of the factory map lights and sunroof switches (not a fan). So I'm kinda looking for alternatives and figuring out what I prefer more (right now, it's this).

And just a reminder. The insert will not work with overheads equipped with Lexus 'HomeLink'.

Last edited:
Not at the very tip top of my list, doing AHC baseline first. But I'm definitely going to be needing one of those early next year. I hope they aren't crazy expensive. Had thought real seriously about putting a detachable face mobile up there, but that looks so clean with the scanguage.

And just a reminder. The insert only works with overheads that have the Sunglass holder. Some have a garage door opener and it is not designed to work with that. But...if you have one with the garage door opener (as mine was) an overhead with the sunglass holder snaps right into place...(same attachment points for the clips).

If you don't mind, where'd you end up finding a new overhead panel w/ sunglass holder?

Not at the very tip top of my list, doing AHC baseline first. But I'm definitely going to be needing one of those early next year. I hope they aren't crazy expensive. Had thought real seriously about putting a detachable face mobile up there, but that looks so clean with the scanguage.

Woot actually had them for $81 last week. Thats the cheapest I had ever seen them. Several of us on here got one. Normal price on amazon is $160. I wish I could do the mount up top on mine because that just looks slick, but I have the stupid Lexus Link on my 06.

If you don't mind, where'd you end up finding a new overhead panel w/ sunglass holder?

I was able to find one on Ebay...but any auto wrecking yard with a 100 series might be able to fix you up.

The one I found was gray...but covered nicely with two light coats of Krylon Khaki Camo. It is almost a dead match for the rest of the plastic interior parts (Ivory).

If you are in Austin, there is a guy out in Cedar Park that sells used Land Cruiser parts. (name escapes me right now).

Is there any way that an insert can made to fit a garage door version? I always assumed that the whole “module” just popped out. Can you give us an idea why it won’t work and maybe if there is a way that @Ayune could modify? I doubt I am the only one interested.

Woot actually had them for $81 last week. Thats the cheapest I had ever seen them. Several of us on here got one. Normal price on amazon is $160. I wish I could do the mount up top on mine because that just looks slick, but I have the stupid Lexus Link on my 06.

I actually have a Scangauge, I was talking about the expense of the mount. Hoping those aren't crazy expensive.

I have a 2000 Toyota 100 series with the garage door opener and @Ayune SG piece worked just fine. I don’t know what the issue is, or if it is a Lexus issue. I love mine, very clean looking, factory look.
upload_2018-11-25_16-15-15.jpeg

Just a cursory look at the overhead with the Lexus Link looks to be the same shape and size as overheads with the sunglass holder. But someone would need to measure both and confirm. Also look on the back and see if the screw holes are the same. IF they are...you would still be able to use the insert.

I have a 2000 Toyota 100 series with the garage door opener and @Ayune SG piece worked just fine. I don’t know what the issue is, or if it is a Lexus issue. I love mine, very clean looking, factory look.
View attachment 1839546

Possibly a difference between the L/C and an LX (mine is an LX) but that would seem unlikely? Year models also might show differences.

There is NO way the insert would work with the overhead I removed (99 LX470 with garage door opener). The openings are completely different (both in size and location). The unit with the sunglass holder is much wider and taller (going nearly to the edges of the overhead). So this is something that must be sorted out.

GDO1.jpg

GDO2.jpg

I actually have a Scangauge, I was talking about the expense of the mount. Hoping those aren't crazy expensive.

I don't know what @Ayune is charging for them at present and I don't want to disclose what I paid for mine since it was a 'one off' order at that time. I can tell you however that there is a good amount of time involved in 3D printing of an item like this. I have a lower end 3D printer and it would be 8-10 hours printing out on mine....and then there is clean up of the part.

IF there were great enough demand for something like this (and there won't be) then injection molding would be the way to do it. The beauty of 3D printing is that you can make small numbers of obscure items without too much initial cost. But design time, writing the files and then printing the part can run into many hours of effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom