Attic racks made cheap and easy - 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If someone was down to make the brackets (angled iron/something) that someone could remove the 3rd seat grab handles and bolt in, I'd be game for purchase.

Somebody was making and selling these on the forum a few years back. That's where I got the ideas for mine.

Crap. Something else for my to-do list...

Crap. Something else for my to-do list...

I just realized the nearly useless Home Depot hanging garage shelf thingie I have sitting around is 16" x 4'. Gunmetal powdercoated.

:bounce2:

I just realized the nearly useless Home Depot hanging garage shelf thingie I have sitting around is 16" x 4'. Gunmetal powdercoated.

:bounce2:

Well that was easy.

:lol:

IMG_3991.JPG

Great Idea, if you want to sell something or do a group buy, please post a separate thread in Merchandise storefront.

It would be OK to post the link here, but keep this thread tech and direct all sales to the other thread

Much appreciated

Alrighty then.

That's sexy. Do you have a part nber or specific sizing. Also will this work without 3rd row seats removed

I tried looking it up and they probably don't sell it anymore because it sucked. It's just your general 16" x 4" vinyl-coated garage or closet shelving. No idea about the third row thingie.

went to home depot yesterday and picked up a few racks I thought might fit along with some angle brackets. I need to go grab some fender washers today and get it installed. I test fit one of them and it fits perfect. 16x4 and it is beige and matches the headliner perfectly. Pics to come later today.

Noah

perfect for extra bedding. im gonna do this before pismo!!

Nice cheap solution! If you have a welder and want something more permanent, you can make this for about $8 in scrap metal:

First off you need a grid panel. After doing some searching online this was the cheapest I could find. Lots of places wanted too much for shipping. 2x4 grid panel in black for $28 shipped. Perfect, don't even need to cut it down to size. http://www.fireflystoresolutions.com/p-7856-black-grid-panel-2x4.aspx

On to the brackets. Scrap pieces of 3/16" plate. Cut to size, welded and drilled to fit the existing grab handle bolt holes.

14586864936_d8453d0e5c_h.jpg

Ground the welds down cause I felt like being fancy

14607830814_00eee5e76c_h.jpg

Bolted in

14423267298_66f6712455_b.jpg

Mock fit

14423297589_4c017dbf12_h.jpg

Panel is attached to the brackets using some u-bolt screw clamp thingamajiggers. I forget they're actual name at the moment

14423474647_e6112e9117_h.jpg

Genius. Any idea how many degrees that bend is since it's too Fawkin hot in my truck to crawl back there?

Great Idea, if you want to sell something or do a group buy, please post a separate thread in Merchandise storefront.

It would be OK to post the link here, but keep this thread tech and direct all sales to the other thread

Much appreciated

Uh, where was anyone trying to sell something in this thread, or did I miss something over the past couple of days?

I've been wanting to do exactly this for a long time. But then I installed drawers that are 9" high which cuts down the headroom for sleeping in the back quite a bit. There goes sitting up in bed... (I'm 6'1")
To make matters worse the air mattress I got is 15" high! It's gonna feel like sleeping in a coffin already. I know I'd bang my head into the darn thing.

I still want to make an attic rack, but it would have to be easily removable.

Right now I have an overhead boat storage bag that's about 40" x 30", tightly bungee'd to the four grab handles. I use it for things like clothes and towels. It doesn't really sag, but bulges downward when full of things like sweatshirts, rain gear and beach towels, but not enough to block the rear view mirror.

Uh, where was anyone trying to sell something in this thread, or did I miss something over the past couple of days?

In the threads that have been deleted about doing a group buy and buying two etc

went to home depot today. found a piece of the wire shelving 4'x12" fits perfectly. I'm just going to use some sturdy zip ties to attach until i can get a hold of some angle iron and make a stronger mount. this will only be carrying my pillows and some light stuff that i don't want to get dirty or smashed. Ill post pics after work tonight.

image.jpg
image.jpg
I couldn't find any shelving with a lip front and back so I picked up a single shelf. Secured it with metal zip ties. Only thing I don't like is that the corners dig into the headliner a little so I put some rubber in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom