Attic racks made cheap and easy - 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very clever use of "wasted space".:cheers:

I quite like the paper towel rack as well......:grinpimp:

How is the headliner holding up? I presume you are using that space for soft stuff only.

Dont see any issue with the headliner but mine has been recovered.
Yes light and soft stuff mostly

What about using something like this instead? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C7DSIK/?tag=ihco-20
They sag a lot. I would prefer the shelf. Thanks for # 8 post...I have been trying to figure out a system for a shelf myself. I am thinking about a light ply wood shelf and covering it with a material like the head liner has and moving the dome light on the bottom of the shelf.

I also would be open to purchase the bracket if someone can produce them.

Sweet setups guys... really digging the permanent solidity of #8, @jcardona1

You could easily put vacuum line caps on the ends of the Ubolt.

My homebrew, metal closet shelving, welded two pieces of it together, kept the "lip" up to hold crap in. Works fine but I do like the look of the display metal, I was searching for something like that locally and came up empty.

Attached to the bracket for the Speski barrier with a little stiffening piece underneath as it was a bit saggy in the middle without it.

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

WARNING - The rack can become a headache rack and cause injury to your passengers head in the second row.:eek:

This has been on my to-do list for a while, just waiting to find some CL (cheap, local) grid wall, but you have me re-thinking. How much overhang is there at the second row? I almost always have passengers there when not commuting (i.e., when having fun) and I don't want to introduce a hazard. Would trimming one grid (~4") off the 2'x4' work to get it clear of the second row? I was thinking of turning up the front a little anyway.

Does anyone with this mod have pictures from the side that show the second row seat and the rack for clearance?

Nice guys. I like the plate idea. Ill probably just go to home depot and grab some aluminum angle and mount to those unused handcuff mounts.

This is what I did.

I don't have a side view but maybe you can take measurements from my pic #1 from the handle bolt. I do remember my older son hitting his head a couple of times getting up to dig around behind the seat, so it's pretty close to right over the headrests.

IMG_20140606_171053854.jpg

IMG_20140607_170614284.jpg

How much weight do you think these would be able to hold? Not planning on putting a ton of heavy crap on one but curious how sturdy the rack and hand hold threads are.

How much weight do you think these would be able to hold? Not planning on putting a ton of heavy crap on one but curious how sturdy the rack and hand hold threads are.

Mine is loaded with towels, shower tent, blankets, sleeping bag, shoes, fishing gear, and a few odds and ends that get unpacked at camp. All in all... 40 pounds +/-

I also strap the fishing poles underneath and through the cargo barrier.

It gets all the bulky light items out of the way.

I have noticed in some of these pictures there is no "barrier" or "lip" at the front or rear which can make slamming on the brakes like playing dodge ball... something to think about as I have lost stuff over the 1" lip of mine out the rear while climbing hills and hitting bumps etc... ;)
highres_189228982.jpeg

Last edited:
This new 80 of mine is just getting a longer and longer list of to dos. Did anyone figure out a way to have the attic storage pivot as mentioned earlier in the thread?

This new 80 of mine is just getting a longer and longer list of to dos. Did anyone figure out a way to have the attic storage pivot as mentioned earlier in the thread?

Look at the XTERRA forum... I could not find the link but remember a guy over there had a simple bracket the ran the span down both sides. The front and rear were connected with carabiners and he could drop the front or rear... cheap and easy.

My homebrew, metal closet shelving, welded two pieces of it together, kept the "lip" up to hold crap in. Works fine but I do like the look of the display metal, I was searching for something like that locally and came up empty.

Attached to the bracket for the Speski barrier with a little stiffening piece underneath as it was a bit saggy in the middle without it.

ahhhhh, thx for this! I have the speski barrier in my truck and was wondering how to get this fitted with it. Does anyone know of a shelf that is available at home depot that will work? I would like to have something that is rubber coated.

Found the next thing on my list of growing things to do... Does it block the view of the rear view mirror at all?

Guppie, that's exactly what mine is. The rubber had to be stripped off at the welds and some more of it burned off from the welds, but most is still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom