Fitting 37"s on my FJ80 (lots of Pictures) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.aplusjapaneseautorepair.com
UPDATE: We just put up our new site.... I will be adding the pictures back... PITA! but think its worth it...

I have been lurking for a while. Done a lot on the 80 due to good write ups here. The one thing I havent found to much about was cutting the front fenders to fit 37" tires. Decided to sign up and add some more info. Hope somebody finds this useful. Based on the pictures and threads this is a start to finsih somewhat based on Marks FJ80 @ Metal Tech.

Before we go any further this is my setup:
Fronts: OME850J with 2" metal tech spacers
Rears: OME863J

I already feel top heavy so the MY GOAL was to fit 37" and not go higher.... And make it look as stock as possible...

Here is the deal. I put 37"s on 17x8's with one more inch of backspacing. The still rubbed everywhere... removed fender flares and the still rubbed at the rear of the front fender & slider. Before any cutting this is how the tires/truck looked:
35" tires VS. 37" tires:
FJ80%20before.jpg

tipping%20and%20tripping%20the%2080.jpg

37"s with fender flares removed, no cutting yet & rubbing everywhere!:
Land%20Cruiser%20FJ80%2037%20Inch%20Tires%20(1).jpg

So... I pulled the 80 in the shop and pulled both front fenders off the front. I felt for my needs I would trim 3" off the fender lip:
Land%20Cruiser%20FJ80%2037%20Inch%20Tires%20(4).jpg

So here is the passanger side fender back on the rig.... Notice the factory fender lip laying on the tire. I seperated this from the 3" I cut off. I am going to weld this back on and use it to attach the fender back to the innner fender well.
Land%20Cruiser%20FJ80%2037%20Inch%20Tires%20(10).jpg

Next Step: Dealing with the inner fender well. Pizza cut it metal tech style. (credit where credit is due... could have used more pics Mark!! :mad:) The Next three pcitures go togethor... Check out the progression...
Land%20Cruiser%20FJ80%2037%20Inch%20Tires%20(12).jpg

Land%20Cruiser%20FJ80%2037%20Inch%20Tires%20(15).jpg

Close UP....
Land%20Cruiser%20FJ80%2037%20Inch%20Tires%20(16).jpg

Both sides look the same now. I plan on spending Saturday hammering, molding, welding, and will post more pics soon. :wrench: Now I am wondering if I should have got 39"s!!!:hillbilly:

Last edited:
If your going to wheel it you are going to need to trim the ARB bumper also. It will bind up with the tire bad under compression. Not sure if you can tell by this photo. Will try and find another
IMG_0286.jpg
DSC08768.jpg

If your going to wheel it you are going to need to trim the ARB bumper also. It will bind up with the tire bad under compression. Not sure if you can tell by this photo. Will try and find another....

Did you tear that tire off with your bumper cut that much!?! If so F#$K

I will measure my rig to the top of the RTT when I head back to the other lot not quite sure

No, lost the bead on a extreme off camber turn. Just trying to show how much we trimmed. With out it would catch the tire when yo stuff and turn.

Once you trim the front and the bumper its not bad up there. The rear is really stuffed in though.
IMG_0287.jpg

If your going to wheel it you are going to need to trim the ARB bumper also. It will bind up with the tire bad under compression. Not sure if you can tell by this photo. Will try and find another
1) I like what you did with your sun roof
2) I am surprised that part of the ARB can lift the vehicle.

[/hijack]
If your going to wheel it you are going to need to trim the ARB bumper also. It will bind up with the tire bad under compression. Not sure if you can tell by this photo. Will try and find another....

Did you tear that tire off with your bumper cut that much!?! If so F#$K

I will measure my rig to the top of the RTT when I head back to the other lot not quite sure

I appreciate it, I have been looking for a height to reference when thinking about what size garage door to plan for.
37s + RTT should be enough to be on the safe side.

Ok, perfect. Breathing easier now. :clap: I am planning on cutting bumper and sliders when I can get fenders fitted.

(just because / Thread Jacker):
I took the tape out there and measured... 99.5 inches. Heres the details... Loaded drawers(always ready to go) & 63 Quart fridge in the back. Also, full tank of gas.... Factor that in... for what its worth.

"2) I am surprised that part of the ARB can lift the vehicle."

ARB is tough. That truck was upside down at 70mph on the highway. Ground down big chunks of the bumper. NO issue. Do wish we would have welded a plate on the ends where it was trimmed as that has weekend the structure of it.

Sunroof was gone and the roof was laid down pretty good. Used hydro jack to force it back up. Lexan windshield also

Welcome bro! :flipoff2:

Nice entrance! Where in SFBay do you live?

I'll be following this thread since i think this is the best option to keep your CG low. :cool:

Now the fenders.... getting done up

Ok, so I got my guys setup and went to work on the fenders today... couldnt wait unitl this weekend. Patience issues.... Both fenders were done this way here are the details.

1. Cut the original fender inner lip and fit it to the fender. (I needed about 20 more inches of sheet metal to finish this lip.)
2. Added sheet metal bent/snipped/tacked/ sanded and primed with self etch..
3. Reinstalled fender and started banging on and amrking inner fender to get it to line up.

Here are the pics from this process:

Tacking on original fender lip and additional sheet metal to get an (OE) syle fender lip:
Land%20Cruiser%20FJ80%2037%20Inch%20Tires%20(17).jpg

Land%20Cruiser%20FJ80%2037%20Inch%20Tires%20(18).jpg

Here is the other side of the fender:
http://www.aplusjapaneseautorepair.com/Files/images/carImages/Landcruiser_Tires/Land Cruiser FJ80 37 Inch Tires (19).jpg

Different Angle:
Land%20Cruiser%20FJ80%2037%20Inch%20Tires%20(21).jpg

And Finally back on the car... Does it look somewhat factory? I think so... Now I have to weld pizza shape sheet metal into the gaps of the inner fender well.... I will be saving this for tomorrow... back to the desk work :crybaby:
Land%20Cruiser%20FJ80%2037%20Inch%20Tires%20(22).jpg

Last edited:
Nice work. Its going to look great all finished up and painted.

Nice job, and yes, it does have the factory look. That's why I like it !:beer::beer:

I only trimmed an inch on my fenders and have more than enough room for my 37's. You should be fine with your trimming. What lift are you running? I am on 3.5" with 2" MT spacers up front and a 1" BL.

I only trimmed an inch on my fenders and have more than enough room for my 37's. You should be fine with your trimming. What lift are you running? I am on 3.5" with 2" MT spacers up front and a 1" BL.

I have 850j up front with 2" Mt spacer and no body lift. I am trying to keep CG as low as possible due to my rig being top heavy. Plus i have two 140+pound Cane Korsos that wheel with me. i dont want to lift them into the truck if i dont have to.

A couple of us run the same lift and tires and still have the flairs.:meh:

I realize this. But my tires were rubbing/binding so bad in my driveway against the rear of the front fender & slider there must be something different between our rigs?! I would assume yours rubs like crazy too? If not maybe we dont drive the same!?

I just want to limit my rubbing. Im going back to pismo in 2 weeks to check rubbing. This is from the last time i was there. I just dont want to be limited in the ways i can use my rig.
highres_189228982.jpeg

... I would assume yours rubs like crazy too?

Under certain conditions, I can make them rub, but nothing that causes damage or stops the rig, so :meh:. Imho, if their not rubbing, should have bigger tires.:hillbilly:

If not maybe we dont drive the same!?

True, I don't jump it, not a big fan of bent axles, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom