ARP hub studs failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i finally decided to get a simple torque wrench calibrater i stick in my vise. cheeep ,easy, and a bad wrench is worse than no wrench.
those husky wrenches are known to be fairly hit or miss if i recall, just look up the reviews.
people snapping bolts..and drastic spec changes one use to the next.
but barring that scenario i feel for yah..i just used toyota oem and locktite.

Which calibration device did you get? I was researching those tonight but saw a bunch of super suspect methods like locking your torque wrench in vise and hanging weights off it... I'd rather go buy a new one - or get an actual measurement device.

So Cruiser Outfitters is super legit and one of my favorite places to get stuff. Really, Kurt and his guys are top notch.

Trail Gear though, in my opinion, is HIGHLY SUSPECT (typically China copies of real parts) and I'm surprised that Cruiser Outfitters deals with them. But I am sure that CO will make things right.

I hear you, I like them a lot, and they came highly recommended by a few of my buddies.

They sent me an incomplete axle rebuild kit - totally out of their control, it was a packaged kit from Japan that was missing a rubber seal. I called, and they overnighted a full replacement kit for me at no cost. So I trust that they stand by the customer... but the reply they sent me above, vouching for the Trail Gear "ARP" kit doesn't sit well.

I guess I will find out once I email ARP and see if these are really their parts or not, or whether this is a Fail Gear kit from China.

Which calibration device did you get? I was researching those tonight but saw a bunch of super suspect methods like locking your torque wrench in vise and hanging weights off it... I'd rather go buy a new one - or get an actual measurement device.
Yah brother i hear yah. I was all about these youtube methods with a tape measure and junk but when it came down to it i was like just get the stinking calibrater. I got the ac Delco heavy duty unit and its only about 2inches by 2inches square and comes with a beefy case.

I have 4 torque wrenches and i believe i checked the ac delco unit with an old solid bar type that doesn't go out of tune cuz there is no spring.It was dead on.
Now its real nice to know that i know what torque im using.

Yah brother i hear yah. I was all about these youtube methods with a tape measure and junk but when it came down to it i was like just get the stinking calibrater. I got the ac Delco heavy duty unit and its only about 2inches by 2inches square and comes with a beefy case.

I have 4 torque wrenches and i believe i checked the ac delco unit with an old solid bar type that doesn't go out of tune cuz there is no spring.It was dead on.
Now its real nice to know that i know what torque im using.

Can you post a link?

Fine then here yah go..lol..this is the actual copy and paste you will need. Have fun:clap:
ACDelco 3/8” Digital Torque Adapter (5.9-59 ft-lbs) with Audible Alert ARM602-3

I used the same TRAILGEAR "ARP" studs same packaging and they are soft. Again striking them with a brass hammer bent them, I would bet the black ARP studs are legitimate and are much better. Knowing Trailgear they will probably just tell you that ARP 2000 is their name, not where they come from. lol

FWIW, the ARP hub studs I just installed are black and look very similar to OEM.
Jon, did these come with cones, lock washer and nuts or just locking nuts...the frontrange offroad site looks like they are supplying locking nuts.

Man that is super frustrating!

Jon, did these come with cones, lock washer and nuts or just locking nuts...the frontrange offroad site looks like they are supplying locking nuts.
They came with nuts that I did not use. There's a limit to my use of non-OEM parts ;)
I had a full set of new cones, flats, and nuts that I used from my parts stash.
Truth be told, I would have simply used the OEM studs that I have as well, but I thought that this would be a reasonable upgrade. Maybe I fell pray to marketing.

@jonheld hit the nail on the head in the first reply. You shouldn't be torquing studs, as it will strip threads. You're essentially torquing the stud to the bottom of a blind hole, all the forces from the bottom of the stud are transferred directly into the threads.

@jonheld hit the nail on the head in the first reply. You shouldn't be torquing studs, as it will strip threads. You're essentially torquing the stud to the bottom of a blind hole, all the forces from the bottom of the stud are transferred directly into the threads.

I did not torque the studs - I snugged them into the holes in the hub. This happened when i torqued the flange nuts in place, to the factory spec of 26 ft lbs. See my reply a few posts up.

Ok guys... was at the last mile of my knuckle rebuild tonight when two of the fancy new hardened ARP studs gave out and stripped while I was tightening them to the 26 ft lbs spec. Fortunately I was able to extract them all without damage to the hub by using the ends. Obviously very disappointed in these, they were not cheap, and now have to replace them with OEM on all four corners.

Wild, that is a first for us and an unfortunate first. We'd be happy to refund you for them. I see Bryce replied about a warranty, that is standard policy particularly in a rare circumstance like this. But as mentioned I'm more than happy to refund them and we'll work it out on our end. LMK

We have hundreds of the OEM kits here in stock so should you choose to go that route, I'd be happy to set you up with a couple of sets of these:

1586564092387.png

those are either not not real ARP's or you did something wrong.

Fwiw I personally verified with ARP directly that they do in fact make these for Trail Gear. I met with them at SEMA 2018? and they were 100% up front about making them. Now, that certainly could have changed and I'll definitely be looking into that. We have sold hundreds of them without any issues including locals rock-racing, etc... I'll have to ping them and see if they are running into issues with them.

On the Trail Gear note, they do make a huge amount of products in the US or have US companies make them, some here in Utah. No doubt they have a huge amount of parts made in China/India too. We try and steer clear of any of those items or items we can source from the US or Japan. They've purchased Longfield Axles, All Pro, Low Range Offroad and now Wheelers Offroad, all massive Toyota manufactures/vendors so their product offerings are pretty massive for Toyota's and many of those are unique products that they or those companies they purchased developed and are not available outside of them. There are items of theirs we won't stock... hub studs might soon be on that list :(

It’s good to know that ARP makes, or at least, used to make these Trail Gear brand studs because I installed a set of them back in 2017. They have survived rock crawling on 37’s and breaking a Nitro rear axle shaft. Still, I wonder.......

i finally decided to get a simple torque wrench calibrater i stick in my vise. cheeep ,easy, and a bad wrench is worse than no wrench.
those husky wrenches are known to be fairly hit or miss if i recall, just look up the reviews.
people snapping bolts..and drastic spec changes one use to the next.
but barring that scenario i feel for yah..i just used toyota oem and locktite.

Even worse, Harbor Freight TW.

Cheers

I used the same TRAILGEAR "ARP" studs same packaging and they are soft. Again striking them with a brass hammer bent them, I would bet the black ARP studs are legitimate and are much better. Knowing Trailgear they will probably just tell you that ARP 2000 is their name, not where they come from. lol

Agreed.. ARP makes hardware that's on spacecraft. That being said even the strongest M8 bolt or stud is still an M8.. aka, tiny

Something that occasionally seems to happen with companies that have mixed supply lines is that they get crossed and some of the garbage can end up in the "good" bin. Cruiser outfitters is obviously legit, so is ARP. TG has proven to be hit or miss and just the fact that they put their name on an ARP product seems weird.

I just put new ARP extended studs on my track car axles and the feeling of opening an ARP package from a reputable supply (in my case Summit racing) isn't worth the hassle and potential failure.

Wild, that is a first for us and an unfortunate first. We'd be happy to refund you for them. I see Bryce replied about a warranty, that is standard policy particularly in a rare circumstance like this. But as mentioned I'm more than happy to refund them and we'll work it out on our end. LMK

We have hundreds of the OEM kits here in stock so should you choose to go that route, I'd be happy to set you up with a couple of sets of these:

View attachment 2267849

Fwiw I personally verified with ARP directly that they do in fact make these for Trail Gear. I met with them at SEMA 2018? and they were 100% up front about making them. Now, that certainly could have changed and I'll definitely be looking into that. We have sold hundreds of them without any issues including locals rock-racing, etc... I'll have to ping them and see if they are running into issues with them.

On the Trail Gear note, they do make a huge amount of products in the US or have US companies make them, some here in Utah. No doubt they have a huge amount of parts made in China/India too. We try and steer clear of any of those items or items we can source from the US or Japan. They've purchased Longfield Axles, All Pro, Low Range Offroad and now Wheelers Offroad, all massive Toyota manufactures/vendors so their product offerings are pretty massive for Toyota's and many of those are unique products that they or those companies they purchased developed and are not available outside of them. There are items of theirs we won't stock... hub studs might soon be on that list :(

Thanks Kurt. Saw your message on Facebook too - appreciate the offer to refund me for the kit. Happy to send the parts back to you guys so you can analyze them. They are definitely soft and dented very easily when I was trying to get the cone washers to pop out. Definitely did not feel "hardened".

I tested my torque wrench against a friend's brand new wrench, and it is spot-on, if not slightly under - so I was not over-torquing when this happened. I torqued to 26 ft lbs with the brand new wrench, and then used my regular wrench and it clicked on every stud.

I got my ARP studs from Valley Hybrid over the weekend, and installed those. They are the same style/size as the OEM studs, no hex heads, and are black in color. Definitely felt a lot more sturdy, like a real ARP product (I ran ARP studs on my track cars back in the day, and remember what they looked and felt like). They installed and torqued down without any issues, so fingers crossed this is the end of the experience.

Kurt, it would be great if you could update the thread once you talk to ARP to confirm whether they are still making this "gold" kit so folks know whether it is still a true ARP product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom