Another Cargo Area Lighting Solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are many excellent cargo area lighting solutions on the forum but being a bit of a flashaholic I wanted to go another route. Also, I’m still averse to drilling holes into any large, difficult to replace panels. So, here is what I came up with:

I had a small (1.875”) polymer Picatinny rail (that I mounted to the back hatch “hole cover”) and an offset, quick-release rail mount laying around. I then ordered several right-angled flashlights. The flashlight criteria were that the UI (the switch) was easy to operate and access when mounted, that it accepted 18650 (rechargeable) and CR-123 batteries, and that it looked cool. As a bonus, it needed be charged directly with a USB cord.

It's insanely bright as you can see (note that I’ve also replaced the cabin lights with LED’s).

One real plus of this setup is that you can quickly unmount the light for charging or to use for another application.

I ended up ordering 6 lights to try, and the first one I mounted (the ThruNite TH30) was as good as any could possibly be for the job. Yes, I went a little nuts, but will send back most of them…someday.

From left to right in the picture: ThruNite TH30, Nitecore MT21C, SkilHunt H03, and Nitcore HC33. These are all sold as headlamps except for the MT21C. They differ mainly in terms of modes and the UI. En route are the ArmyTek Elf C2, and the XTAR Warboy H3 (purchased from Mountain Electronics).

Of all 6 only the ThruNite TH30 and the AmyTek Elf C2 can be charged directly via a mini USB. I really think that’s an important feature for the road, because it spares you from carrying around an 18650 charger.

If you decide to do this, be sure to order a polymer Picatinny rail so you can shave off the M-lock lugs on the back if present. It needs to mount flush on the hole cover. Lastly, the flashlights all differ in diameter, and some may need a shim to fit snugly in the rail mount.

IMG_6600.JPG

IMG_6608.JPG

As a follow up, the ThruNite TH30 already stopped working, so back it goes.

Cool idea. Any recommendations on where to pick up a similar picatinny rail and quick release? With a few well placed rails, you could use it as a utility light in other places (like a food prep area) when camping. I also like the idea that can can pop it off and use it as a flashlight, as and when needed.

I think these Amazon items are a good value for the setup. The hole cover panel measures 3 5/8 x 2 7/8 so the first two rails will fit. Whichever rails that you purchase make sure that they are polymer so you can shave off tabs underneath if they have them, or if aluminum rails ensure they have no tabs beneath. They need to mount perfectly flush. It would also be ideal that the bolts that came with the rails are long enough to be used with the setup, and that they come with corresponding nuts that will work. Don't forget to use some blue Loctite.

For the flashlight, right now I'm using the Nitcore MT21C because it tightens into the rail snugly without shimming. It's a very versatile light because the head tilts and it can be used like a regular flashlight. It's insanely bright, and It also has a magnetic base so after detaching you can mount it all over the vehicle. The beam is a bit more focused on the tailgate than some of the others I tried, but it definitely serves the purpose, and it looks cool :)

Some folks were looking for a lights to illuminate far behind the vehicle for a campsite. Well, if you loosen the angled flashlight in the mount, your can point it backwards, or just have another one ready for that purpose.

If you're like me and it's unsettling to drill holes into things in the vehicle you can order an extra hole cover here for 10 bucks. Make sure you get the right color.

Finally, I found a good use for one of the other 90 degree lights I bought (see last image). It's the ultimate map light!

Last edited:
Pretty awesome idea. Wonder if you can tap a power source in the hatch to have USB power available to keep it charged at all times?

I think these Amazon items are a good value for the setup. The hole cover panel measures 3 5/8 x 2 7/8 so the first two rails will fit. Whichever rails that you purchase make sure that they are polymer so you can shave off tabs underneath if they have them, or if aluminum rails ensure they have no tabs beneath. They need to mount perfectly flush. It would also be ideal that the bolts that came with the rails are long enough to be used with the setup, and that they come with corresponding nuts that will work. Don't forget to use some blue Loctite.

For the flashlight, right now I'm using the Nitcore MT21C because it tightens into the rail snugly without shimming. It's a very versatile light because the head tilts and it can be used like a regular flashlight. It's insanely bright, and It also has a magnetic base so after detaching you can mount it all over the vehicle. The beam is a bit more focused on the tailgate than some of the others I tried, but it definitely serves the purpose, and it looks cool :)

Some folks were looking for a lights to illuminate far behind the vehicle for a campsite. Well, if you loosen the angled flashlight in the mount, your can point it backwards, or just have another one ready for that purpose.

If you're like me and it's unsettling to drill holes into things in the vehicle you can order an extra hole cover here for 10 bucks. Make sure you get the right color.

Finally, I found a good use for one of the other 90 degree lights I bought (see last image). It's the ultimate map light!

View attachment 1917559

View attachment 1917568
For me personally that approach would conflict with packing, on long trips I've almost always got something super close to the rear hatch. And plenty of trips across the desert I've had something dislodge on a bump, that thing would get ripped off and cause more issues. I'd say go flat, or mount up in the concave space where the rear window is.

That particular light does not have a USB port, but some do. I think if you keep a spare 18850 or some CR123's in the truck, you're good to go. You can actually charge some of the 18650's directly via mini USB which you could do in the truck as well.

Incidentally, there is a thread with a light one of the mud members developed for the hole cover. I think it might be hardwired, and it is a very clever setup.

For me personally that approach would conflict with packing, on long trips I've almost always got something super close to the rear hatch. And plenty of trips across the desert I've had something dislodge on a bump, that thing would get ripped off and cause more issues. I'd say go flat, or mount up in the concave space where the rear window is.

I can definitely see where that would be an issue, and mounting where you suggest would be more protected but a bit more technically challenging.

IMO this is one of the better solutions that I've seen:

...and this thread suggests a method to get some voltage back there:

Last edited:
Bright light in my eyes is less than ideal.
Insects love it too...

That’s why I like the window sill mount...
View attachment 1917734
or the red/white option from National Luna to avoid bugs in camp (nice for night vision too)...
(Looks a bit odd here bc my drawers were removed in this shot)
View attachment 1917738

Can you post pics of the lights themselves installed?

Can you post pics of the lights themselves installed?

Yes. I think I have shots... & May have posted a thread on them but can’t remember now. Will post something soon.

There are many excellent cargo area lighting solutions on the forum but being a bit of a flashaholic I wanted to go another route. Also, I’m still averse to drilling holes into any large, difficult to replace panels. So, here is what I came up with:

I had a small (1.875”) polymer Picatinny rail (that I mounted to the back hatch “hole cover”) and an offset, quick-release rail mount laying around. I then ordered several right-angled flashlights. The flashlight criteria were that the UI (the switch) was easy to operate and access when mounted, that it accepted 18650 (rechargeable) and CR-123 batteries, and that it looked cool. As a bonus, it needed be charged directly with a USB cord.

It's insanely bright as you can see (note that I’ve also replaced the cabin lights with LED’s).

One real plus of this setup is that you can quickly unmount the light for charging or to use for another application.

I ended up ordering 6 lights to try, and the first one I mounted (the ThruNite TH30) was as good as any could possibly be for the job. Yes, I went a little nuts, but will send back most of them…someday.

From left to right in the picture: ThruNite TH30, Nitecore MT21C, SkilHunt H03, and Nitcore HC33. These are all sold as headlamps except for the MT21C. They differ mainly in terms of modes and the UI. En route are the ArmyTek Elf C2, and the XTAR Warboy H3 (purchased from Mountain Electronics).

Of all 6 only the ThruNite TH30 and the AmyTek Elf C2 can be charged directly via a mini USB. I really think that’s an important feature for the road, because it spares you from carrying around an 18650 charger.

If you decide to do this, be sure to order a polymer Picatinny rail so you can shave off the M-lock lugs on the back if present. It needs to mount flush on the hole cover. Lastly, the flashlights all differ in diameter, and some may need a shim to fit snugly in the rail mount.

View attachment 1914931

View attachment 1914933

Building on your excellent idea, I made some small changes to better suit my use case.

I already have several 1,000 Lumen+ lights so I decided on one that would be better suited for general illumination at night (150 Lumen on High / 17 Lumen on Low), easy to use (one button push ON, one button push OFF), would strobe (3 quick button pushes), would have excellent battery life on CR123A batteries since I already carry a bunch of spares for my other lights and the PowerFlares (PowerFlare Site ), and had a 1-Inch body to fit the QD mount. Settled on the Streamlight 88834 PolyTac 90 (PolyTac 90) available on Amazon ($44.34 on Amazon ):

CargoLight3_07MAR19_zpshxujsbse.jpg

I chose a longer rail so I could position the lamp dead center.

Lights up drawer interiors well:

CargoLight1_07MAR19_zpsrocsj1ba.jpg

And provides a good work space light:

CargoLight2_07MAR19_zpsl2bwrwcx.jpg

Great idea! I should have done this long ago.

HTH

Building on your excellent idea, I made some small changes to better suit my use case.

I already have several 1,000 Lumen+ lights so I decided on one that would be better suited for general illumination at night (150 Lumen on High / 17 Lumen on Low), easy to use (one button push ON, one button push OFF), would strobe (3 quick button pushes), would have excellent battery life on CR123A batteries since I already carry a bunch of spares for my other lights and the PowerFlares (PowerFlare Site ), and had a 1-Inch body to fit the QD mount. Settled on the Streamlight 88834 PolyTac 90 (PolyTac 90) available on Amazon ($44.34 on Amazon ):

HTH

That looks great! Did that flashlight fit tightly in the mount without any shimming? Only one of the several that I bought for this did. Of course, This whole excercise made me go on another flashaholic bender, and I ended up with a few more Streamlights.

Did you ever wonder how many flashlights you really need? Well, it’s always f=n+1, where f is how many flashlights you need and n = how many you have currently. That’s the case for me anyway!

That looks great! Did that flashlight fit tightly in the mount without any shimming? Only one of the several that I bought for this did. Of course, This whole excercise made me go on another flashaholic bender, and I ended up with a few more Streamlights.

Did you ever wonder how many flashlights you really need? Well, it’s always f=n+1, where f is how many flashlights you need and n = how many you have currently. That’s the case for me anyway!

Yes, the light fits snugly in the mount with no shimming - diameter spec'd at 1.0 inches, so no problem.

I passed the "need" equation a long time ago when I moved to "want" equation where it's much simpler: fw=f, where fw is the flashlight you want and f is the flashlight you get.

Some really great ideas here.
I love flashlights...

I can see how it might be nice to have a focused beam. I usually like diffused floods, but the clearly defined circle on your flashlight lens might be especially cool/appreciated by avoiding “light pollution” while tinkering near other campers in the dark... :hmm:

Here are all the specs for this little light:

This versatile, right angle, compact, tactical flashlight can clip onto turn-out gear, an ACH or onto our elastic head strap for a headlamp. It can be easily operated with gloves.
  • 3 modes:
    High – 170 Lumens; 3.75 hours runtime; 167m beam distance; 7,000 candela peak beam intensity
    Low – 17 Lumens; 30 hours runtime; 53m beam distance; 700 candela peak beam intensity
    Strobe – 6 hours runtime
  • Two 3 Volt CR123A lithium batteries with a shelf life of ten years.
  • Head mounted push button switch provides one handed momentary or constant on operation. Fast double click from off to activate Strobe mode; fast triple click from off to activate Low mode.
  • Features a 90° head and an integrated carabiner style D-ring for a variety of attachment methods. Fully rotatable/reversible/removable clip to allow a variety of mounting positions.
  • IPX7 rated design; waterproof to one meter for 30 minutes; 1 meter impact resistance tested
  • Glass lens, gasket sealed.
  • LED Solid State Power Regulation provides maximum light output throughout battery life. Individually serialized for positive identification.
  • Optional Gear Keeper® system for attaching the light to turnout gear or other clothing or equipment
    • Gear Keeper features a retractable attachment system with a high-strength nylon tether with a 36" extension and 6 oz. of retraction force
  • LED technology with a 50,000 hour lifetime.
  • L x W x D: 5.22" x 1.25" x 1" (13.3 x 3.18 x 2.54 cm)
  • 4.1 oz (116 g)
  • Meets requirements of NFPA 1971-8.6 (2013)
  • Available in Black, Yellow or Orange
HTH

HTH
Thanks to you and @Recon Aircrew for posting your ideas and execution. I'm getting ready to flat out copy this great idea. Are you still running the streamlight 88834? Happy with it? Thanks

Thanks to you and @Recon Aircrew for posting your ideas and execution. I'm getting ready to flat out copy this great idea. Are you still running the streamlight 88834? Happy with it? Thanks
Cool. Of note, the Nitecore MT21C that I was using just stopped working the other day, so another right-angled flashlight from the original lot bites the dust. Probably should go with the Streamlight IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom