Cargo Light Wiring? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to install an aftermarket interior cargo Light on the rear hatch and am looking for wiring tips. I would like to get this done as quickly as possible as I don't have much free time. Is everyone tapping into 3rd brake light wires or are there other options?

Any tips would be helpful such as wire colors, locations, potential problems, etc.

I would prefer to hook up to interior lights so the cargo light operates off the same switch, but if it's a pain or takes a while then not really worth it.

Again, short on time and am trying to knock this out during an evening after work and have the truck put back together for work in the morning.

Thanks for any help

I think the easiest plan would be to just connect the additional light to the factory cargo overhead light. You can route the wires from the hatch through the factory wiring boot and to that light pretty easily. I’m not sure what the colors are, but you can check that pretty easily with a meter. Not knowing exactly what your plans for the light itself are, probably a 1-2 hour job:beer:

I think the easiest plan would be to just connect the additional light to the factory cargo overhead light. You can route the wires from the hatch through the factory wiring boot and to that light pretty easily. I’m not sure what the colors are, but you can check that pretty easily with a meter. Not knowing exactly what your plans for the light itself are, probably a 1-2 hour job:beer:

Thanks. Is dropping the headliner required and if so how fragile is it? I've had many that were never the same after being uninstalled. I was hoping to avoid buying a meter since its just another thing to pile up in my garage and seldom be used.
The light is the same MAXXIMA M84427-A other members here have. Will probably put in on the same access panel as others. Need more light in the back for working in the very early morning before daylight. I don't expect the light to be a difficult install but was hoping more info from MUD would make it go faster. Like I said I'm trying to knock this out quickly out of necessity and not enjoying the project on a lazy Sunday (working 7-12's now)

Hmmm.....if you’re working 7-12’s, how about using a simple AA battery-powered stick-on light with a push-on/off feature? They make them with super bright LEDs and good 3M hook/loop tape. Just stick 1 (or even 2) on the inside of the hatch and then enjoy the few minutes remaining of your “free time”.

Hmmm.....if you’re working 7-12’s, how about using a simple AA battery-powered stick-on light with a push-on/off feature? They make them with super bright LEDs and good 3M hook/loop tape. Just stick 1 (or even 2) on the inside of the hatch and then enjoy the few minutes remaining of your “free time”.
I'd rather do it right once and be done with it. Also I hate changing batteries.

Thanks. Is dropping the headliner required and if so how fragile is it? I've had many that were never the same after being uninstalled. I was hoping to avoid buying a meter since its just another thing to pile up in my garage and seldom be used.
The light is the same MAXXIMA M84427-A other members here have. Will probably put in on the same access panel as others. Need more light in the back for working in the very early morning before daylight. I don't expect the light to be a difficult install but was hoping more info from MUD would make it go faster. Like I said I'm trying to knock this out quickly out of necessity and not enjoying the project on a lazy Sunday (working 7-12's now)

You shouldn’t have to “drop” the headliner; I just fished my wires from the small gap between the sheet metal and the headliner to the cargo area dome light with a “fish” wire. Obviously you need to remove that light to run the wires and to connect to the factory wires. The light is just held by plastic clips. I didn’t use the factory wires and I don’t generally recommend any connections witout verification with a DMM first, but I’m sure you could figure it out by trial and error without the meter.

And yes, the LC headliner WILL SHOW PERMANENT CREASES IF YOU STRESS IT TOO FAR...

I have a pair of these and they are amazing. Last forever and charge up via usb.

LED Closet Light , Newest Version Rechargeable 62-LED Motion Sensor Closet Light Wireless Under Cabinet Light for Closet , Cabinet , Wardrobe , 2 Sensor Mode ( Motion Sensor , Motion & Light Sensor ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0769FZSCS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SH67AbKSV3P1R

I have them on my hatch via two sided tape.

You shouldn’t have to “drop” the headliner; I just fished my wires from the small gap between the sheet metal and the headliner to the cargo area dome light with a “fish” wire. Obviously you need to remove that light to run the wires and to connect to the factory wires. The light is just held by plastic clips. I didn’t use the factory wires and I don’t generally recommend any connections witout verification with a DMM first, but I’m sure you could figure it out by trial and error without the meter.

And yes, the LC headliner WILL SHOW PERMANENT CREASES IF YOU STRESS IT TOO FAR...

Thank you for all the info. Should go smoothly
Cheers :beer:

I have a pair of these and they are amazing. Last forever and charge up via usb.

LED Closet Light , Newest Version Rechargeable 62-LED Motion Sensor Closet Light Wireless Under Cabinet Light for Closet , Cabinet , Wardrobe , 2 Sensor Mode ( Motion Sensor , Motion & Light Sensor ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0769FZSCS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SH67AbKSV3P1R

I have them on my hatch via two sided tape.

I have the same light in my kitchen and I like it a lot. Very helpful. I thought about using these in the LC before but was concerned that the motion sensor would often be activating the light when it shouldn't.....drive on lots of bad roads that vibrate/bounce some of my cargo items.

I have the same light in my kitchen and I like it a lot. Very helpful. I thought about using these in the LC before but was concerned that the motion sensor would often be activating the light when it shouldn't.....drive on lots of bad roads that vibrate/bounce some of my cargo items.

I leave mine on manual mode.

I've had the National Luna LED Touch Light sitting on my desk now for a month. I've been searching for install tips on and off. Finally went for it today. This YouTube video at 9:37 will give you some confidence in pulling off the rear hatch plastic trim:

I mounted the LED above the rear hatch release cover, fished the wires around the hatch, through the rubber gasket, and over to the rear interior light. There are 3 wires at the light: RED, GREEN, WHITE/ BLACK STRIPE. I did a quick Google search and read that white/black stripe is ground and green is power. I tried that and it didn't work so I tried red for power, worked. The LED doesn't switch on/off with the doors opening which is what I wanted since it has its own touch power button. So its seems like its hardwired. Maybe another order of those 3 wires will give you on/off with doors.

Im no electrician so if any pros see a problem with how I tapped into the rear interior light please let me know! Only thing I'm wondering now is if the touch-button standby light will drain the battery after sitting for a long period of time.

IMG_5538.JPG

IMG_5539.JPG

IMG_5540.JPG

IMG_5541.JPG

IMG_5542.JPG

Does the blue backlight light stay on even when the ignition is off? Thanks.
Yes the blue power button backlight stays on when the ignition is off. Apparently the LED unit has a low voltage meter that will shut down if the incoming voltage drops below a certain point.

It took me about 2 hours. If I had to do it again it would take less then an hour now that there is no guess work.
Super helpful write-up and great photos... Thanks!
BTW, How has the National Luna LED Touch light be working out now that you've been using it for over a year? I like to install two of these LED Touch lights and do you think the rear interior dome light can power the two units with no problem?

Its one of my favorite additions to the truck. I use it often. I'm not sure about powering 2 from the rear dome. My guess is it would be fine, but I'm no expert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom