Andy's Taco build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am ready for CMCC!

Did some final prep items this morning. Still dragging my feet on the turn signals....

• Cut off ubolts
  • Cut off tailpipe where it could get crushed
  • Installed a new PS pump
  • Changed the front of the skid plate to make it stronger and painted it
  • Flipped the bracket on the PS cooler to raise it out of harm's way
  • Pounded the body seam flat on the firewall for tire clearance
  • Removed the swaybar

20160711_101133.jpg
20160711_101952.jpg
20160711_095150.jpg
20160710_130526.jpg
20160711_120510.jpg

Last edited:
Take some vice grips and a hammer in case you need to add just the fender too

I have turn signals!

I used 1st gen 4runner front marker light sockets, drilled a 0.600 hole in the back of my corner lights and cut the slots with a utility knife.

The 168 bulbs were not bright enough and didn't draw enough current to make the flashers go the normal speed. , I found some 15 watt bulbs (921)that fit and they are nice and bright and work perfect!

20160711_182827.jpg
20160711_204445.jpg

Last edited:
Can you give us a report on the truck after wheeling it last week? Any overheating issues? Did your skid plate hold up? How did it work overall? I just took in my newly acquired 03' Tacoma to the dealership on Wednesday. They inspected and failed the frame. They gave me a loaner car to take home, and called this morning. Said new frame was ordered today, and i should expect a 6 - 9 month time frame!!!!

The truck did great! Still wishing I had the funds for a rear locker and dual cases. Really, the only issue was situations were wheels lift - and traction is minimal.

The motor does not lug quite like an F engine, but it does ok. I appreciated the light weight - climbs almost anything!

It goes everywhere my 40 went, and much more comfortable. Once I get the A.C. going it will be a Caddilac ;)

No issues with temp - problem solved with new radiator and coolant flush.

With the toolbox in the truck, the bed seems small! Need to come up with a system to organize my gear. Still contemplating a bed bob.

Congrats on the frame replacement! Hope to see another Taco on the trail in 9 months!

I just took in my newly acquired 03' Tacoma to the dealership on Wednesday. They inspected and failed the frame. They gave me a loaner car to take home, and called this morning. Said new frame was ordered today, and i should expect a 6 - 9 month time frame!!!!

With all that waiting I'd be a little pissed. Maybe you could talk them into getting it galvadipped for you. It would last you the lifetime of the truck. The only drawback would be welding to it. Galvanizing is bad news to weld and likes to give off lots of toxic smoke. Also any threaded holes would need a tap run through them.

I figured it was going to be a long process, and am okay with it. Its not my everyday driver-- yet, plus now I'll have the rental car Toyota warranty dept. is paying for until my taco is done. They gave me a new Rav4---maybe i'll have to take it wheeling and see how it does- haha.

Finally something to update on this thread!

Jamarquardt welded my sliders on this weekend! As usual, he did an outstanding job.

Got them all painted up nice yesterday.

Otherwise, driving the truck daily and enjoying it much. Still looking for a used winch and a rear locker.

20161107_140245.jpg

20161107_140258.jpg

It is my understanding that these are useless without the elocker housing.

Gary, nope. We are headed to the cabin this weekend to enjoy what's left of the fall foliage. Have a good time!

Andy
Andy -
Congrats on the Taco love. I am a Land Cruiser owner (and parts vendor) that diversified the fleet with a 2002 Tacoma.
It is my understanding that these are useless without the elocker housing.

Gary, nope. We are headed to the cabin this weekend to enjoy what's left of the fall foliage. Have a good time!

Andy
Andy -
Congrats on the Taco love. I am a Land Cruiser owner (and parts vendor) that diversified the fleet with a 2002 Tacoma. Let me know if you would like to hear about an elocker option for your rear that will not require changing or modifying your carrier or axle housing. We have worked with Harrop to develop a replacement elocker for North American 12 bolt / 8.4" non-locker axles. Need some test rigs besides my shop truck. Details on the Harrop at www.yotalockers.com

Best regards, Ward

Andy -
Congrats on the Taco love. I am a Land Cruiser owner (and parts vendor) that diversified the fleet with a 2002 Tacoma.

Andy -
Congrats on the Taco love. I am a Land Cruiser owner (and parts vendor) that diversified the fleet with a 2002 Tacoma. Let me know if you would like to hear about an elocker option for your rear that will not require changing or modifying your carrier or axle housing. We have worked with Harrop to develop a replacement elocker for North American 12 bolt / 8.4" non-locker axles. Need some test rigs besides my shop truck. Details on the Harrop at www.yotalockers.com

Best regards, Ward

Heck yeah I am interested! I don't mind being a guinea pig so long as it is not for a pharmaceutical company ;)

To add a little tech here.
No it won't fit. The open rear found in tacos is very different from the 8" and e locker found in most mini trucks and 4runners. It's actually not too bad of a conversion from a non taco 8" to a elocker. Some housing modifications need to be made and it is well documented online.
What prevents this in a open taco rear is the 3rd member flange,diff cover, stud size and the hole centers for the studs.
Can it be done. Sure. Is it worth doing. No.

Heck yeah I am interested! I don't mind being a guinea pig so long as it is not for a pharmaceutical company ;)

No drugs required, PM sent.

To add a little tech here.
No it won't fit. The open rear found in tacos is very different from the 8" and e locker found in most mini trucks and 4runners. It's actually not too bad of a conversion from a non taco 8" to a elocker. Some housing modifications need to be made and it is well documented online.
What prevents this in a open taco rear is the 3rd member flange,diff cover, stud size and the hole centers for the studs.
Can it be done. Sure. Is it worth doing. No.
This is what we found during due diligence research on the way to development of the 12 bolt / 8.4" Harrop Eaton ELocker

Heck yeah I am interested! I don't mind being a guinea pig so long as it is not for a pharmaceutical company

Off topic from trucks...but I did MANY drug studies in the early 90's for multiple big pharma companies. I had a few friends who basically did it for a living. I did one for a ten day stay once, it was brutal, but it paid $4K! Some of the studies were very strange. A friend of mine, seriously, NOT me, did one where he had his prostate electronically stimulated to orgasm. I wish I could remember exactly what they were "testing". I participated in a study once where they tested the effects of how Valium reacted with some other trial prescription med. THAT was a fun study, the effects of the Valium were greatly intensified!
I think my psyche was rewired during this period of my life :confused:

Back to truck stuff...for the record, Ben @fireball has a Harrop in his BJ74. I believe he's quite pleased with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom