Andy's Taco build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Taking advantage of a completely clear calendar this weekend. I kinda like having no commitments - life on hold.....

New steering rack - old one leaked and kept destroying inner rod ends. The last straw was a clicking noise the last few months.

View attachment 2239946

Did you source a factory unit or aftermarket? and if aftermarket who did you go with?

Also looks like the old style rack, I will be doing this to my 4Runner, something to consider down the road.

It is a rebuilt factory rack from Rack Doctor. Tacomaworld has had mixed experiences with them, but It looked to me like they were more positive than negative....

Yes, it has the old style guide. I have the updated parts from my old rack to change it, but I don't want to void the warranty just yet!

Taking advantage of a completely clear calendar this weekend. I kinda like having no commitments - life on hold.....

New steering rack - old one leaked and kept destroying inner rod ends. The last straw was a clicking noise the last few months.

View attachment 2239946

Also installed a new Toyota transmission mount

View attachment 2239949

My skid plate is holding up pretty good!

View attachment 2239947
Was just reading back and noticed you had already replaced the guides in your old steering rack... Did that improve things? Is this just part of Taco ownership?

Was just reading back and noticed you had already replaced the guides in your old steering rack... Did that improve things? Is this just part of Taco ownership?

I think this is more a part of me catching up with the maintenance on a vehicle with nearly 300k miles! While it is not as robust as a steering box, I don't believe it is a chronic issue with the Taco...

While swapping in the updated guide did improve things, I believe the rack itself was just too far gone. I've replaced inner tie rods 3 times since buying the truck and only have around 10k miles on it! PS fluid was leaking into the rack boot and washing the grease out of the inner joint.

I am hoping it was just because the old rack had a LOT of miles and crossing my fingers that a new one will last me at least a few years without issue.

Once I get a few miles on this one and know it is not defective I will probably swap in my updated guide.

Question on the rack- the old style guide cap has a nut while the new takes a hex?

New style:

20181216_211408.jpg

Old Style:

20200315_193134.jpg

Internal difference:

Roller is old style, delrin pad is newer
rguide0012_70043d872ebd20f54b3caf2950aed3c1868cb055.jpg

Been a long time since I posted here! Truck has been down for a while. I had an issue with stumbling on startup and coolant disappearing.

I put a new head on it. Also had the injectors serviced, and did an EGR delete.

Starts faster and runs smoother than I remember!

Hoping to make it back to the trails soon!

PXL_20220128_013003948.jpg

PXL_20220131_011350327.jpg

Truck is currently for sale HERE.

I've got a new teen driver and need to get a more practical (automatic) vehicle.

Sorry to see it go, it is a great little truck!
What's more practical than a 4x4 toyota pickup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom