Andy's Taco build thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slow going, and spending too much!

Most parts are here - still waiting on wheel bearings. New backing plates and all new brake parts including ebrake bell cranks and wheel cylinders.

20170914_195527.jpg

The diff cover is here and tacked in place. I don't trust my welding skills enough to make it leak-proof. I had to grind a bunch out of the inside because it hit the back of the diff at 2 bolts on the sides.

20170915_072020.jpg

Found this elocker diff on Craigslist for free! It was replaced because of a bearing noise. Going to use the motor from this one as mine is.pretty crusty.

20170914_195504.jpg

Still looking for a rear axle housing I can cut up to make a bearing puller. If I can't find something I'll try to whip something up.

Last edited:
Slow going, and spending too much!

Most parts are here - still waiting on wheel bearings. New backing plates and all new brake parts including ebrake bell cranks and wheel cylinders.

View attachment 1537505

The diff cover is here and tacked in place. I don't trust my welding skills enough to make it leak-proof. I had to grind a bunch out of the inside because it hit the back of the diff at 2 bolts on the sides.

View attachment 1537507

Found this elocker diff on Craigslist for free! It was replaced because of a bearing noise. Going to use the motor from this one as mine is.pretty crusty.

View attachment 1537504

Still looking for a rear axle housing I can cut up to make a bearing puller. If I can't find something I'll try to whip something up.
I saw that on cl! I don't think it was free at that time though.

No if only you knew a professional welder that could weld that leak free.

It is welded now. Going to try to leak test it today to be sure. Took it to my "Amish weld shop" yesterday. They did ok I think.

Remember to take it to 1.5 times its mawp. Specs call out any other ndt on it, ut or pt?
Your pressure gauge have a current calibration date? Manufacturer of the cover provide an mtr for the steel? I dont see a heat number or po number on it, thats going to make traceability an issue.going to need a copy of the welders wqr as well.

Holy cow, that's cheap!!!

That is for sand blast AND powder coat. They do a good job - this thing is a little pitted because of the rust but that isn't their fault!

I went there from Blair's house this AM and it took me about 40 minutes.

Thanks again to Blair for lending me the press fixture! It worked like a champ.

Nope. Truck should be done, but my wife is working that weekend and I am home with the kids.

"In my day we'd wheel and just let the kids bounce around in the bed!"

IMG_0357.JPG

Well, just shy of a month and a half and the truck is back on the road....

I need to cut off the ubolts and wire up the locker. I know the locker works fine as it was engaged when I took it for a test drive! I had to pull the motor and unlock it manually.

I didn't do a ubolt flip as one of the brackets I bought from Ruff Stuff was bad. I opted to just take the housing for sand blast and powder coat without the shock mounts.

No one but me will ever see it, but it makes me feel good to know it is all fresh and not rusty!

Shafts pressed on

20171004_222258.jpg

Spiffy new brake parts

20171005_163249.jpg

The final product

20171006_084105.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom