Builds An Accidental Frame Off.................. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dang that’s nice looking water. What you fishin’ for? I finally got a few days on the Salmon River here in Idaho between Stanley and Challis (one run below Challis). Good action on the western cutties, especially swinging soft hackles with my custom bamboo trout Spey rod (built by Dave Dozer - bamboopursuits, whom I highly recommend if your in to classic gear) and restored silk flyline. I like a challenge. That’s why I use cruisers around the ranch.

Oh yeah, tech. Well, given these are steel rigs I use a vac-rac (magnetic) for carrying my rod - only ones that are being used. Others are in their tubes hidden out of sight in the rig. (Full disclosure - I used my GMC Sierra plus camper on this trip, too far for the beaters).

I'm going to look into that Bamboo guy, I have been doing some research lately on making rods, I might just give it a shot.

I'm

A thought hit me in the head yesterday on the drive home, a total Cpt. Stupid moment.

My speedo is off by approximately 10%
Speedo says 60, I'm doing like 65 ish.

I never thought about mileage, until yesterday.

I drive 1 mile, I roll over about 9/10ths of a mile on the odometer.

Sooooo, if I'm off ABOUT 10% on the odo, I'm putting on about 10% more miles between fill ups.

Which in turn should mean that I'm getting better than the 12.5ish MPG that I calculate every time. (11-14) depending on driving style and forest service roads.
You can do 65 in your jalopy!? Mine sounds like it’s revved out at 43. Steering at 45 gets quite touchy. Ive never been faster than that in it. I like living.
I’ve kept record of every gallon of fuel I’ve put in mine since I bought it (not including during the restoration) and I average an amazingly impressive 9.8 MPG. I’d take 11-14 any day of the week!

Oh, and my Speedo bounces and says I’m doing between 5 and 35 until you get around 40. My speedo also is also off on actual speed at 40 it’s about 2200 RPM and real speed is 44 on my GPS phone app.

You can do 65 in your jalopy!? Mine sounds like it’s revved out at 43. Steering at 45 gets quite touchy. Ive never been faster than that in it. I like living.
I’ve kept record of every gallon of fuel I’ve put in mine since I bought it (not including during the restoration) and I average an amazingly impressive 9.8 MPG. I’d take 11-14 any day of the week!

Oh, and my Speedo bounces and says I’m doing between 5 and 35 until you get around 40. My speedo also is also off on actual speed at 40 it’s about 2200 RPM and real speed is 44 on my GPS phone app.

My engine will do better than 70 mph, but I get enough vibration from the tires and rear driveshaft that I keep it under 65 mph most of the time. I try to stick it right at 60 going down the highway, I get the best mileage right around there.

I also keep a log of every bit of fuel I put in it, mileage, gallons, price, date, and MPG. I also make a small mark when I put ethanol free high test in it, although I think I might get better mileage with the lower octane ethanol crap. I need to review that still.

Based on my last bit of math, I got 13.9 out of the last tank, based on the odometer mileage, with the extra 10% added in it's safe to say I'm getting about 15 mpg if I keep my foot off of the floor.

20190802_184713.jpg

20190802_183605.jpg

My engine will do better than 70 mph, but I get enough vibration from the tires and rear driveshaft that I keep it under 65 mph most of the time. I try to stick it right at 60 going down the highway, I get the best mileage right around there.

I also keep a log of every bit of fuel I put in it, mileage, gallons, price, date, and MPG. I also make a small mark when I put ethanol free high test in it, although I think I might get better mileage with the lower octane ethanol crap. I need to review that still.

Based on my last bit of math, I got 13.9 out of the last tank, based on the odometer mileage, with the extra 10% added in it's safe to say I'm getting about 15 mpg if I keep my foot off of the floor.

View attachment 2047755

View attachment 2047754
I should start including the prices in mine too.

7D497EFD-5257-416A-8CA6-AF9EAB80CB61.png

View attachment 2047755

View attachment 2047754

Dave teaches classes, here’s his website BambooPursuits
If you do connect with him tell him Paul Metcalf passed along his reference - that might get you a cup of coffee, lol. He’s in Sisters Or., his wife Mary Ann is a guide. Can you say Deschutes?!

I know, tech, but fly fishing trumps everything.

Dave teaches classes, here’s his website BambooPursuits
If you do connect with him tell him Paul Metcalf passed along his reference - that might get you a cup of coffee, lol. He’s in Sisters Or., his wife Mary Ann is a guide. Can you say Deschutes?!

I know, tech, but fly fishing trumps everything.

I've been looking into Tom Morgan Rodsmiths over in Bozeman, reading about his method of building rods is interesting, it's a little different than most other rod builders. Tom Morgan passed away a few years ago now but his shop is still maintaining the same level of quality. He is one of the R.L.Winston legends, also worked with Glenn Brackett back in the day at Winston. Glenn Brackett now runs Sweetgrass Rods in Butte.

I've been doing some homework.

Edit-the Tom Morgan way is a larger up front investment for the hand mill, vs the old traditional method of the planing mill. For a home shop, amateur like myself I don't think the TMR method is the best plan up front. I think I'll start with a standard Bellinger planing mill.

View attachment 2047755

View attachment 2047754

I used to keep a spreadsheet of all my fill-ups, just wrote my indicated mileage on every gas receipt. The best mileage I ever got was 14 mpg if i recall correctly, and that was on a road trip with moderate speeds and a tail wind.

Don't know why I stopped doing the spreadsheet; probably just got behind on keeping it up.

When I drilled the 4" hole for the heater hoses I compromised the integrity of the base. Today I pulled it out to fix it.
20190804_172422.jpg
20190804_172419.jpg

Left it out in the yard until a bird flew by and s*** on it.

20190804_174820.jpg

Shot it with some matte black and bolted everything back together.

Then I noticed that the seat could slide back about another inch, bit the Tuffy base was stopping it from going back all the way.

So I fixed it by raising the rear up about a half inch. Now it slides back all the way! I already flipped the brackets around and moved the seat back a few months ago. Now there is almost too much legroom!
20190804_205949.jpg

Seriously man... your photos of the cruiser out fishing are out of control. Gorgeous...

Unfortunately the season is winding down, kids sports are starting soon and the heat has set in now.

On the other hand, sounds like I should go up in the mountains and find some cold water!

Changed the oil today, I can't remember when I changed it last, but I haven't put more than a few thousand on it in the last year, figured today was a good day.

The tranny took 2 quarts of lube, I guess the transfer case drinks it and then spits it out of the parking drum, one dribble at a time.

018.jpg

Last edited:
In a more serious note, I noticed when I removed the oil filter the oil did not drain back into the engine, or cooler, whichever way it should go. I'm thinking I may need to look into that someday in the future.

That and the 60lb of oil pressure.

Skalkaho!

The thread was deviating away from the fishing.

Hhhmmmm, there probably aren't many people that know Skalkaho, where ya located?

I lived in Zoo-town (as the kids call it) for a number of years. Still go back as often as I can to see family and friends. Stuck out on the I-5 corridor these days.

I used to fish 75-100 days a year mostly on upper Rock either via Skalkaho or P-burg or straight up from the mouth depending on my inclination - i.e. - time constraints/fuel level in the 40/horniness to fish.

I'll move back permanently in a few years. Your photos aren't helping my home sickness one damn bit...

...but thanks for posting them!:beer:

It all came together today.
20190909_121937.jpg
20190909_120936.jpg
20190906_170655.jpg
20190815_201418.jpg

Next up is Simms. I'm going to inform them that no trout bum in their right mind would drive a 40 with ugly ass wheels like that.

I mean they look like they were stolen from a 90's model Ford Explorer.
20190901_121338.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom