Aluminum Tab Weight Benefit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know that main benefit of the Aqualu Aluminum Tab is no rust, but did anyone actually look at the weight benefit of the original parts vs. aluminum?
I'm referring to:
- Tab - 195 lbs (Aqualu) - xxx (stock)
- Cowl - xxx (Aqualu) - xxx (stock)
- Windshield Frame - 25 lbs (Aqualu) - xxx (stock)
- Apron - 8 lbs (Aqualu) - xxx (stock)
- Fenders - 30 lbs (Aqualu) - xxx (stock)
- Front Bib - 6 lbs (Aqualu) - xxx (stock)
- Hood - 15 lbs (Aqualu) - xxx (stock)
- Tailgate - 27 lbs (Aqualu) - xxx (stock)
- Doors - 48 lbs (Aqualu) - xxx (stock)
Total - ~454 lbs (Aqualu) - xxx (stock)

____2565122_orig.jpg

____1133506_orig.jpg

____4130820_orig.jpg

_____9924356_orig.jpg

____5857231_orig.jpg

___5359855_orig.jpg

____6874203_orig.jpg

The drivetrain is from a forklift. I doubt that it even notices the extra 1000#.

this is an aluminum tab, at least here in the lower 48..

gwLIQxqy.jpg

I don't think weight reduction is always a good thing. Wet road handling, resilience when towing, momentum to get through boggy situations are a few areas where weight can be helpful. I say that in the stock 40 context. Anyway, when the trend is to bolt on bumpers, sliders, a winch, roll cage, big tires etc., body weight savings can have a real impact on how a vehicle handles, gas mileage, etc. as a way to offset all the added pounds (0.453592kgs) in a clean, practical way.

It's the lack of detail in the aluminum tubs that turn me off. No ribs in the floor and sharp corners. I'll take the extra weight of steel.

Sure it's lighter but it also has less character than the original sheetmetal

Well from those pix it's hard to tell. #5 is the steel tub. You and i both know one look into the interior and there will be no doubt which is which. It's all good. I am not bashing by any means just pointing out the facts.

Well from those pix it's hard to tell. #5 is the steel tub. You and i both know one look into the interior and there will be no doubt which is which. It's all good. I am not bashing by any means just pointing out the facts.
I know man just messing around. I'm bored today.

But concerning the op post, less weight equals more hp per lb. But only probably minimally noticeable when driving it with aluminum. The aluminum tub is lso significantly stronger than the steel because aqualu used really beefy construction. But u do lose some inside floor details as far as the ribs. I've always run carpet though because I like the ability to remove and shake out the carpet vs cleaning out the dirt that's collected in a tub. So the ribs weren't too noticeable in my case. Once the seats and roll bar and tank cover in its less obvious.

But concerning the op post, less weight equals more hp per lb. But only probably minimally noticeable when driving it with aluminum. The aluminum tub is lso significantly stronger than the steel because aqualu used really beefy construction. But u do lose some inside floor details as far as the ribs. I've always run carpet though because I like the ability to remove and shake out the carpet vs cleaning out the dirt that's collected in a tub. So the ribs weren't too noticeable in my case. Once the seats and roll bar and tank cover in its less obvious.

Do you carpet the sides and top of the wheel wells too? Generally looking at the gas pedal area towards the heater it's shaped different as well. Aluminum cowl your can tell looking at the firewall under the hood. @JackA and myself live on AZ so for the most part rust is a very minor issues. Still need to do a certain amount of preventative maintenance but nothing like the rust belt.

Do you carpet the sides and top of the wheel wells too? Generally looking at the gas pedal area towards the heater it's shaped different as well. Aluminum cowl your can tell looking at the firewall under the hood. @JackA and myself live on AZ so for the most part rust is a very minor issues. Still need to do a certain amount of preventative maintenance but nothing like the rust belt.
No I don't. Just the floor. I only have a 3/4 tub. I'm not in the rust belt but we do have some rust. My thing is that the only ones who notice are you and me die hard mud guys. And I'm ok with that haha. Even your average day to day 40 owner doesn't really notice my tub is aluminum.
IMG_20160730_224232678.jpg

Last edited:
The aluminum tub is lso significantly stronger than the steel because aqualu used really beefy construction.

just because the material is thicker, doesn't mean its stronger.
pound for pound, in general conversation, steel and aluminum are of nearly the same strength...but in order to meet pound for pound you'll need 3 times as much al as steel.

No I don't. Just the floor. I only have a 3/4 tub. I'm not in the rust belt but we do have some rust. My thing is that the only ones who notice are you and me die hard mud guys. And I'm ok with that haha. Even your average day to day 40 owner doesn't really notice my tub is aluminum.View attachment 1575425
Talk to me about those rear seats! Details please!

just because the material is thicker, doesn't mean its stronger.
pound for pound, in general conversation, steel and aluminum are of nearly the same strength...but in order to meet pound for pound you'll need 3 times as much al as steel.
I have a full aluminum aqualu cruiser with gozzard fibreglass hardtop, things rust here. Not sure of the gauge (close to 3/16 thick) it’s at least.. three times the material of the steel body these are no pop can. It’s the body a cruiser should have come with!

Soon to buy a second aqualu body for my troopie project. They do custom work as well as offer a couple lengths of body’s.

Agreed with white stripe about the aqualu hood...:frown:

Last edited:
Couldn't tell you stock weights... but 1/8" steel half tub with the hardtop:

950 kg (2100 lb) - front axle with SBC

1150 kg (2535 lb) - rear axle with FF 45 axle.

Rear is a tad heavier now with a Con-Fer/Man-A-Free type aux tank. It'll run circles around most domestic vehicles in the snow (even though the 40 only has open diffs). Haven't compared it to another 40 though.

Last edited:
Rust belt means im going aluminum on my 42! Id rather have a chance to drive it every now and then over the winter then have it parked nov-may...

Rust belt means im going aluminum on my 42! Id rather have a chance to drive it every now and then over the winter then have it parked nov-may...

Steel of the same thickness has been doing the job for the last 26 years... just need to do the door sills and a couple other corners that I haven't done yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom