Agonizing over Tub- Fix, or buy Aqualu? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After owning my rig for more than 3 years, I'm beginning my FJ40 build/refresh/restofresh whatever the proper term is. It's a '76 with a SBC 350... so the "factory original ship" has long sailed. I want a nice looking, low-maintenance, fun rig that will hold its value reasonably well. I don't do a lot of wheeling (that's what my J**p TJ is for).

A PO installed a herculiner bedliner in it, which I couldn't hate more. He did a crappy job, and it was coming up in a few places. So I got ambitious over the last few weekends and I have about 90% of it removed. Sharp chisels and an angle grinder with a wire wheel were my weapons of choice. What a PITA.

I uncovered more rust than I expected. There was a surprising amount of surface rust hidden underneath areas where the bedliner looked perfect... There's a hole on one of the rear wheel wells (where the fender support is), a fair amount of pitting here and there, really bad pitting on the front floors on both sides, a few holes in the front floors, etc. The PO's solution to the deep pitting was bondo. There's also a lot of rust in the seams where some panels are spot welded together... for example, where the front floors are welded to the rocker panels, etc.

The rear fenders have been cut, and I want to restore them to the factory look. Also, the rear sill was replaced-hillbilly style with square tube, and the cover was very poorly welded on (he didn't even bother to grind all of the welds down!:doh:).

I've priced out the cost of all of the patch panels from real steel and CCOT. Long story short, to get the tub as nice as I want it, I'm looking at about $2,200 worth of patch panels and tons of labor. I'll need to scrape all of the undercoating off before sandblasting- I'd rather stab my own eyes out.

I'm considering just buying an Aqualu 3/4 tub. Financially it's roughly a wash- my tub is in good enough shape that I could sell it for probably $500-$1,000, and buying a new tub would save me from having to pay to get the tub sand blasted.... not to mention the massive labor savings:

Keep tub and repair it:
Patch panels: $2,200
Sand Blasting: $500
Total: $2,700
Labor (rust repair, scraping undercoating off, filler and sanding): ~200-300 hours?

PROs: closer to original
Cons: tons of labor; rust is an ongoing concern based on the design of the original tub

Buy Aqualu 3/4 tub:
Tub: $3,200
Shipping: $500
Sell old tub: <$500 -$1,000>
Total: $3,200 - $2,700
Labor: ~40 hours?

PROs: major labor savings, won't have to worry about rust, "brand new", highly recommended quality and customer service, etc

Cons: doesn't look original on the inside, doesn't appear to have the captive nuts/etc I would need for things like the seats, etc so lots of drilling etc and self-tapping screws (yuck!); potential corrosion due to dissimilar metals. I've read some negative comments about hard top fitment.

I know nobody can make this decision for me... But I'm curious about everyone's thoughts.

For example,
-Do you think the Aqualu 3/4 tubs are ugly?
-Would it be better for resale to keep the original look, or do people like the rust free aluminum tubs?
-Is fitment a pain?
etc

Thanks in advance for your input!
Peter

Put a aqualu tub in and be done forever. It does suck about no captive nuts-but nothings perfect. Curious Ive never heard about hard top fitment problems. What have you heard? You got any links to threads relating to such?

Thanks. Man I'll have to do some searching. I must've read 50 threads on it yesterday. But the issues seemed to generally relate to alignment around the front doors. The vast majority of posts say that it fit fine with no issues, but there were a few where there was a gap between the hardtop sides and the upper half of the front doors.

Very well could be user error. I've read that you need to take your time aligning things before tightening down all of the bolts.

Iron Pig Off Road has what looks like the same tubs as EBI for about $100 less. Unfortunately, they're out of the mid-years '75 - '78 last I checked. I think these are all made in Central America (Panama?). I haven't seen them myself but pictures look good.

If your rig isn't original anyway, I'd patch the tub and floors with sheet metal which you can get for a LOT less than $2200, and have a lot of $ left over for a nice little Lincoln MIG.

I've never had an aluminum tub but I know it is not nearly as easy to repair dents in as steel.

Got to see an installed Aqualu tub on a cruiser in person the other day, it was pretty nice. I will be going with one some day. The hard top seemed to fit fine too.

1) I've seen Aqualu tubs in person... I'd be happy with one, and if I needed a tub, I'd likely go that way.

2) I've met Steve in person, he's a bonified Cruiser head, and has an excellent reputation with all who know him locally. I'd call Steve at EBI and discuss all the Pros and Cons of steel vs Aqualu, as he's installed both.

I happen to be in Seattle, and know you're very near.

I just purchased an aqualu tub and it was recd on Monday. I am not installing due to time constrictions and having never handled a body replacement like that. It does solve a lot of issues at once. My rear sill was gone, as were the rear corners. The rear floor also had been covered with heavy diamond plate, but not well done. I tuned up the motor and started body work on the front end which was in very good shape already. Within a month, I should be back on the road and then I can address the other minor issues. The aqualu is expensive, but your time is worth money also. I took a few side jobs at work, to help pay for it. I've have almost never had any work done by anyone else on my old vehicles but this one seemed like a good decision. The labor cost to install is minimal but the result will be a great return. With a 3 year old and another kid on the way, my free time is scarce.
I think the aqualu is a good investment if it's an option.

I had the same choice, cut/patch/repair and heaps of labour required to use original tub or use an aqualu tub. In the end I got the aquala tub shipped to Ireland. The cost of the tub plus shipping was still better that a repair to original. There were no fitment issues that caused any problems. The quality of the tub it super. The workshop that did the rebuild had nothing but good things to say about the aquala tub.

@jimkyser on here has an awesome looking mustard 40 with an Aqualu 3/4 tub and with his floor covering you cant even tell it's not original. After seeing his truck made me want to go with a full Aqualu bodied 40 for durability against all our salty winters. If you plan on keeping it and wheeling it to some degree, I would go with Aqualu.

Go with the Aqualu. I have an Aqualu on my 1974, installation was easy. Installing the seats and bracketry involved some drilling, but they include all necessary stainless hardware, and is simple and straightforward. Hard top fitment shouldn't be an issue: set it on the tub, drive it around the yard to get it settled in to place, then mark & drill the mounting holes, bolt it up and you are done. It should take you less than 2 hours if you are slow and meticulous like me. You won't be disappointed.

Brian

Thanks SSCR. I really like my Aqualu tub. As Don says, the interior is coated with some form of black bed liner. The only problem with that is that whoever put it down didn't scuff up the smooth aluminum enough and it's peeling in the driver side footwell and a few places in the bed. Since it's aluminum, I don't need to worry about rust from that, but do I need to patch the liner to make it look better.

I can't take any credit for how nice my truck is, btw, as it was built a couple of years ago by MUD member phrogg4evr. I think there is a build thread on here from when he still owned it. I do get to enjoy it, though.

Last edited:
Maybe you could epoxy on the nuts..... Worth a thought.

Sounds like you made the right choice for you situation. Make sure and post up about the tub as you get going on it.

Pete

You might check out Rust Bullet to prime the Aqualu tub.

I'm slowly working towards a 27" stretch Aqualu 3/4 tub.

After reading up on it that's what I plan on using.

Rust Bullet has aluminum in it.
Has crazy good adhesion also.

Just a thought.

can we see pictures of your current tub... it honestly doesn't sound that bad!

can we see pictures of your current tub... it honestly doesn't sound that bad!

I'll take some pictures tomorrow. And you're right, it really isn't that bad.

It's in a sweet spot where I could go either way (replace or repair) and neither would be a bad decision. That's why I think I could get decent money for it if I sold it.

If I wasn't anal, I would just make my own patch panels, bondo over the pitting, hammer out dents and skim coat them etc. But even then, I'm looking at a metric sh*t ton of labor, and it could just rust out again in the future. The labor is what tips the scale in favor of Aqualu for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom