Aftermarket Black Hex Grille Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had one of these grilles for about 2 years now. The plastic looks horrible now. It fades and becomes dull relatively quickly. I've tried to "renew" it to no avail. It has held up, but needs to be replaced every couple years.

I'm switching to one of Kelly's grilles. He's working on a 200 grille now landcruisergrilles.com

He's working on surrounds to allow 7" round headlights as well. There's a lot of really nice LED's with great cut off and light.

Last edited:
Here’s some photos of mine after 2 years. I got the emblem made by the same company that made my bumper.

If you have questions about the emblem, grille or anything else let me know...

C4D92574-374A-4707-9CF8-70D2244C1964.jpeg

FC00C51E-ABB8-4973-AFE7-3E137171EC9C.jpeg

288BEBD1-1886-4ABC-AFF4-E3BDEEF39ACB.jpeg

When you originally got it was it gloss or matte?
Also, you think if it were primed and painted it would hold up better?

It was gloss black when I got it. It's hard to prime and paint plastics. With the bug/debris and dirt impacts, I worry it would look worse quicker with paint

Looks good. I've been thinking something similar w/a black tint on the chrome. I think the 80 series name plate would look sharp on a truck this size. It is a little bigger and more spread out. Just a different look. Dunno if one can get it without buying an 80-series grill, so it may not be feasible. Haven't looked.
View attachment 1966189

This. I hate to say it but I think the black hex grilles are a bit off. They just don’t flow with the lines of the truck. Those with the bull bar and lights help to break it up a bit and look better. Otherwise it looks like an inverse Rudolph - just a bulbous black thing on the front. And I mean that in the most loving, Christian way possible. 😊

I’ve been looking for a better option but there doesn’t seem to be much out there beyond the black hex. Something more like the early 80 series style might look really great but I’d need to see it installed to know for sure.

Anyone aware of any other options out there.

I was playing around with Photoshop today and got inspired by many of the retro-style grilles you've installed on your '08-'15s so I mocked up a partially smoked out front grille with the retro-badging and Bentley-style mesh (thanks, Markuson). Take a look:

Can you mix that with the silver/gray bar behind ‘Toyota’? Like
View attachment 1966015

Feasibility aside, what do you think of the look? I'm somewhat on the fence. Might feel differently if I had done it on a darker truck (whoops) and if the headlights were blacked out.

Can you take that and add the silver/gray bar behind ‘Toyota’ like what dirtnap has in his picture? I think that would blend the whole thing a sh!t ton better.

This. I hate to say it but I think the black hex grilles are a bit off. They just don’t flow with the lines of the truck. Those with the bull bar and lights help to break it up a bit and look better. Otherwise it looks like an inverse Rudolph - just a bulbous black thing on the front. And I mean that in the most loving, Christian way possible. 😊

I’ve been looking for a better option but there doesn’t seem to be much out there beyond the black hex. Something more like the early 80 series style might look really great but I’d need to see it installed to know for sure.

Anyone aware of any other options out there.

To each their own...but I can tell you that in all honesty, I probably get more strangers commenting on how much they like the grill as anything on my truck. Doesn’t make it “right...” but its a look that generates a huge number of positive, uninvited comments.

I do think this larger TOYOTA is more balanced than the much smaller TOYOTAs that can be mounted. I like it. But meh.....tastes very.

67F5DD9D-A1CC-4CF8-8A33-CE3C1C2368EC.jpeg

Last edited:
To each their own...but I can tell you that in all honesty, I probably get more strangers commenting on how much they like the grill as anything on my truck. Doesn’t make it “right...” but its a look that generates a huge number of positive, uninvited comments.

I do think this larger TOYOTA is more balanced than the much smaller TOYOTAs that can be mounted. I like it. But meh.....tastes very.

View attachment 1980610
I agree. I just wish I could find the emblem in silver vs white. I bought the white version but to paint it correctly, while keeping the black outline, will take some time.

I agree. I just wish I could find the emblem in silver vs white. I bought the white version but to paint it correctly, while keeping the black outline, will take some time.

I hear ya.
Would be super easy to paint...
Give it a go! :)

I didn’t like the piano black of the grill… So I painted it.

View attachment 1980610

I do like the larger Toyota emblem a lot
Ore

View attachment 1980610

I do like it with the larger emblem a lot more. And I’ve never seen one in person so I might like it a lot more than I think I do. Either way, I’m obviously in the minority on this one.

I really appreciate everyone’s perspective.

My understanding is that metal in front of the millimeter wave radar sensor is what buggers it up. Even a metal badge from a 40 series grille seems to be enough to mess it up. I don't think that radar cruise and a metal grille could be compatible.

I've wondered if it might be possible to to relocate the sensor to behind the bumper and recalibrate it for that location. The bumper skin is pretty thin plastic, there wouldn't be any metal in the way.

I put decals from TVD Decals on my 70 series badge to change it from the stock white to grey. Putting them on took me about 20 minutes.

My understanding is that metal in front of the millimeter wave radar sensor is what buggers it up.

On his website, it looks like you can get the oval cutout. I think the oval emblem on the 18+ is the radar sensor. If that is accurate, the sensor would then be either:
a. flush with the metal grill
b. slightly in front of the metal grill

Is that accurate or am I just plagued by wishful thinking?

On his website, it looks like you can get the oval cutout. I think the oval emblem on the 18+ is the radar sensor. If that is accurate, the sensor would then be either:
a. flush with the metal grill
b. slightly in front of the metal grill

Is that accurate or am I just plagued by wishful thinking?
Edit: on my vehicle (a 2013 land cruiser) the radar sensor is not the oval, it is a box located behind the grille.

It is the square box in the center of the grille opening below.

F3ABD8D0-208F-41D5-BE7B-1D9A38071346.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom