Aftermarket Black Hex Grille Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Modifying with the black Bentley-style Hex Grille and FJ40 emblem badge seems to be a pretty common thing to do, so I thought I would start a thread for others who may be considering giving it a try.

I ordered the following items from eBay:

OEM Toyota 1969-1974 Land Cruiser BJ40 FJ40 Front Grille TOYOTA Emblem Badge New

Bently Style Matte Black Front Badgeless Hex Grille for 08-15 FJ200 Land Cruiser

Although the grille I bought was claimed to fit the 08-15, it does not accommodate the camera found on ’13 and later. Modification of the grille and fabrication of a camera mount will be required. I ultimately decided to go without the camera. I covered the connector, and secured it.

Mounting the Toyota emblem to the grille was fairly simple. The emblem does not come with any mounting hardware. I ended up using stainless steel machine screws, external star lock washers, and finishing washers that I flattened with a hammer. Sorry, but I forgot the metric size and length of the screws. They were pretty short. As you can see, I had to take the Dremel to the grille in order to fit the emblem. I placed a little glue gun in the Dremeled slots for a snug fit. Although the picture shows double-sided tape on the back of the emblem, I ended up not using it.

Prep.jpeg

I actually purchased the grille for an '08 LC, but in the interim and after mounting the badge on the grille I got a ’13. So, unknowingly, I had mounted the “TOYOTA” FJ badge in a position that blocks approximately the bottom 1/3 to 1/2 of the Pre-Collision Sensor (PCS), which I think also works with the adaptive cruise control. In that spot the badge looks well centered, but I'm getting an occasional “PCS Unavailable” warning on my display. If I had to do it over, I would drop the badge down a row on the grille, although it will still cover part of the sensor

Removal.jpeg

Removing the old grille is pretty straightforward. It’s very helpful to have auto trim removal tools to remove the panel above the grille and the tabs on the bottom of the grille itself. I have this kit purchased from Amazon:

CAPTR11 - 11Pc Auto Trim Door Panel Window Molding Upholstery Clip Removal Tool Kit by CTT

There are two small grill clips that you need to carefully remove and hold onto. They hold the grille on snug (#2 on the parts diagram below). The aftermarket grille does not come with any hardware. Beware, the clips are plastic and brittle.

Grille Parts.jpeg

There is a subtle difference in the weather strip mounting on the aftermarket grille (see image) which is easy to overcome, in that there is no mounting for the outermost portion of the strip on either side. I just removed those retainer clips and used a glue gun to secure that portion of the strip to the new grille. Otherwise, the aftermarket grille lined up with all of the mounting holes and tabs on my ’13.

Removal 2.jpeg

Despite the issue with the PCS, I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Framed.jpeg

Oh man I like that!

(Rigger heads to the computer, and pulls out his wallet)

FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
Here is the same grill, but painted flat black & with a larger TOYOTA:

Where'd you find that Toyota emblem?

Here ya go... This is by FAR the most reasonably priced Source . Some sites charge almost $100 for the exact same thing...
...only 32.99 here, and it's OEM:

I decided to attach it via strong, black zip-ties...which I challenge you to detect without close scrutiny. Also means I can change it, or re-paint someday without messing up the emblem or the grill...

Front Grille Emblem 85-90 7x series [75311-90K00] - $32.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 2.08.09 PM.png

Last edited:
Here ya go... This is by FAR the most reasonably priced one. Some sites charge almost $100 for the exact same thing...
...only 32.99 here, and it's OEM:

I decided to attach it via strong, black zip-ties...which I challenge you to detect without close scrutiny. Also means I can change it, or re-paint someday without messing up the emblem or the grill...

Front Grille Emblem 85-90 7x series [75311-90K00] - $32.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

View attachment 1445970
Smart move on the zip ties! Wishing I had done the same.

These grills look fabulous!

Well written thread. Added to the FAQ

How long did it take you to make the modification?

BTW - when you get an ARB bumper you relocate the camera to the bumper

Markson did you sue the same Bently Style Matte Black Front Badgeless Hex Grille for 08-15 FJ200 Land Cruiser

or one of the less expensive ones on ebay. Not sure the difference

Markson did you sue the same Bently Style Matte Black Front Badgeless Hex Grille for 08-15 FJ200 Land Cruiser

or one of the less expensive ones on ebay. Not sure the difference

I bought it here:
-Comes in Piano Black, which is fine if your Cruiser is black.
For other colors, I think matte looks better. I used Krylon plastic fusion paint and it comes out nice.

NOTE that it says 08-09. I am uncertain of the significance there for later models.
Toyota Land Cruiser 08-09 Black Front Upper Hood Mesh Grille Grill | eBay

IMG_0556.jpg

That looks like what I just bought from another seller.

Emblem mounting:

Highly recommend using Zip-Ties instead of screws--especially if you use the larger TOYOTA emblem (see above). Screws have a history of coming loose...and even worse--the placement of the screw receivers tend to force the emblem to either be crooked in this grill...or force you to dremel into the grill to carve out a space, which means you are forever committed to that particular emblem. With zip-ties, you simply cut off the screw receivers on the back of the emblem...zip-tie it securely, and voila! Done, and completely reversible if you decide to change it at some point in the future.

There are two small grill clips that you need to carefully remove and hold onto. They hold the grille on snug (#2 on the parts diagram below). The aftermarket grille does not come with any hardware. Beware, the clips are plastic and brittle.

Can you provide more details on carefully remove and how you did it?

Well written thread. Added to the FAQ

How long did it take you to make the modification?

BTW - when you get an ARB bumper you relocate the camera to the bumper

Thanks. Including mounting the emblem to the grille (with screws as shown), it took about 3-4 hours including beer and interruptions.

I did note that there were cheaper grilles, but this one already had a matte finish and I assumed (time will tell if I was right), that the "factory" matte finish would outlast matte spray paint on the front of the vehicle. Mine will probably chip in a month :)

Regarding the removal of the plastic grill clips: To get the grill off of the vehicle, I removed the three screws on top, then focused on the grille clips. To get them to release you have to squeeze both sides of them. I think I used needle nose pliers for that. Then I used a trim removal tool to carefully release all of the side and bottom tabs. To get the grille clips off of the grille there is a tab on the back of each clip that you push to one side and they slip right out. Once you look at the back of the clips, it will be self evident. Just be careful with them. If they were to break, I think you could still mount the new grille temporarily and order the grille clips to add later:

Grille Clip- Toyota (90467-13075)

Grille Clip - Toyota (90467-13075)

Good luck with it!

Last edited:
Paint is cheap and works well...but only time will tell if it holds up to abuse. I think $206 might actually be a worthy upgrade to get matte black that is permanent. I might have gone that route if I had not come up empty when Grill hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom