Advice on 1st time swapping engines (2F in '76 FJ40) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got this beauty from Whirlybird and will be bringing her home soon. Current 2f is seized up and I have another from an FJ60 that I'll be dropping in. This will be my second FJ40 restore but the first that I'm going to try to do as much of the mechanical myself as possible and take my time learning as I work on the stuff that's over my head.

I expect to be living on YouTube and becoming fast friends with a lot of Mudders over the next few months. I have some tools but not many and I'm planning to get a cherry picker to help swap the engines
  • What specialty tools will I need to acquire to swap engines?
  • Also, any Mudders on the south side of Atlanta that wanna come play, send me a PM - I may hit you up!

IMG_3682.JPG

Advice? No matter how long or thorough your punch list is, it's never complete. ;)

Just plan to need one more thing.

You`ll also need a high credit card limit.
JP

I did this same swap years ago with an 87 2F into my 76. I stripped the engine down to the block and head and used all my 76 era accessories as everything worked great already. Use a big engine hoist and load leveler, pull the whole drivetrain at once and separate the tranny/t case outside of the vehicle then attach the new engine and install. It's a good time to replace the clutch disc, throw out bearing and engine mounts. I did the whole swap myself in one long weekend . Good luck! :)

I did this same swap years ago with an 87 2F into my 76. I stripped the engine down to the block and head and used all my 76 era accessories as everything worked great already. Use a big engine hoist and load leveler, pull the whole drivetrain at once and separate the tranny/t case outside of the vehicle then attach the new engine and install. It's a good time to replace the clutch disc, throw out bearing and engine mounts. I did the whole swap myself in one long weekend . Good luck! :)
That’s awesome and very helpful! Thanks, brother!

Just got this beauty from Whirlybird and will be bringing her home soon. Current 2f is seized up and I have another from an FJ60 that I'll be dropping in. This will be my second FJ40 restore but the first that I'm going to try to do as much of the mechanical myself as possible and take my time learning as I work on the stuff that's over my head.

I expect to be living on YouTube and becoming fast friends with a lot of Mudders over the next few months. I have some tools but not many and I'm planning to get a cherry picker to help swap the engines
  • What specialty tools will I need to acquire to swap engines?
  • Also, any Mudders on the south side of Atlanta that wanna come play, send me a PM - I may hit you up!

View attachment 1812974

FWIW - Like Kevin, a few years ago, I replaced my '77 2F with a totally rebuilt '86 2F. I opted to use the block & head of the '86 and everything else was from my '77. I used the taller valve cover, original carb, air cleaner, and other '77 engine attachments.

I’m currently stripping down the truck (pics above). I figured once I pulled the engine I might as well keep stripping it down and get body work done (and delay getting to drive it a little longer) vs breaking it down twice! I’ve noticed my wheels don’t have hub cap clips (but my spare does). They also don’t look like any were ever on there. Anyone have an explanation or know of this type wheel to ever not have hubcaps?

Followed your advice to a “t” so far and going great I’m the short windows of time I have. Thx again.

FWIW - Like Kevin, a few years ago, I replaced my '77 2F with a totally rebuilt '86 2F. I opted to use the block & head of the '86 and everything else was from my '77. I used the taller valve cover, original carb, air cleaner, and other '77 engine attachments.
Quick question: still switching out all the accessories from 77 2F to the 86 2F; I read an older post where you said you've had no issues with removing the 86 Oil filter/cooler and installing the 77 set-up. Is that still the case? I'm planning to do the same, and also in GA...

Quick question: still switching out all the accessories from 77 2F to the 86 2F; I read an older post where you said you've had no issues with removing the 86 Oil filter/cooler and installing the 77 set-up. Is that still the case? I'm planning to do the same, and also in GA...

Still running my rig without the oil cooler, and it is doing just fine. Below are some recent shots of the area......

Thanks, Kevin! Did you swap your distributor from the older 2F too?

I did. I had a 76 era distributor that was upgraded with a pertronix so I used it. Also kept the 60 series dizzy for a backup but haven't needed it so far.

That '76 distributor is vacuum retard, but the vacuum port can be capped. From what I've read here on MUD the mechanical advance is OK. If you want to swap out the distributor from the later 2F, swap over the coil and igniter also. You can locate the coil and igniter where your '76 coil/igniter is now, you just need a slight mod at the mounting bracket location - easy. I fabricated a jumper to get the wiring to distributor because the coil/igniter is farther away than on the FJ60. Your '76 carburetor should have the vacuum advance port, you just need to reroute some vacuum lines and cap one of the ports on your VSV (drivers side inner fender).

Here are details of my jumper:

Thanks brother! Very helpful info!

That '76 distributor is vacuum retard, but the vacuum port can be capped. From what I've read here on MUD the mechanical advance is OK. If you want to swap out the distributor from the later 2F, swap over the coil and igniter also. You can locate the coil and igniter where your '76 coil/igniter is now, you just need a slight mod at the mounting bracket location - easy. I fabricated a jumper to get the wiring to distributor because the coil/igniter is farther away than on the FJ60. Your '76 carburetor should have the vacuum advance port, you just need to reroute some vacuum lines and cap one of the ports on your VSV (drivers side inner fender).

Here are details of my jumper:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom