AC Dryer Relocation kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will be doing mine with my build. I just sourced some 92-93 ac lines which brings it up the battery box.. dont really need anything else. I actually received the lines in the mail today..

When I get to this point in my build, I will post up pictures..

FloridaFJ80, our paths keep crossing!!! Seem like we have similar tastes.

Let me know if your upper connection, near the under hood relay box is the same size connection. Mine appears to be different size, but I have not taken it apart yet.

Cheers,

I have an ARB & just went & moved mine. I was easily able to get it to tuck higher than the bumper. Just an FYI.

FYI. Cool stream is not currently working in the automotive AC industry. His kits are no available. John

FloridaFJ80, our paths keep crossing!!! Seem like we have similar tastes.

Let me know if your upper connection, near the under hood relay box is the same size connection. Mine appears to be different size, but I have not taken it apart yet.

Cheers,

Yeah we definitely have similar tastes.... Let me look at it tomorrow and see if its the same i will also post up pics of the ac lines I got.

Thanks

Here's what I'm talking about, The OD of the line connection is very different from mine on the 96
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422576732.405335.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422576758.703731.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422576800.021353.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422576745.486406.jpg

What I was doing at my former workplace was to cut the ends off at the condenser inlet and the fenderwell connection and splice the R134a fittings onto the R12 lines. I'm not aware of any adapters that will allow you to convert from one size to the other. At one time, I was able to buy fittings for the condenser and drier ends but the company making them went under. If you can procure a set of R12 lines (1991-early 1993), it's pretty straightforward to cut and braze.

What I was doing at my former workplace was to cut the ends off at the condenser inlet and the fenderwell connection and splice the R134a fittings onto the R12 lines. I'm not aware of any adapters that will allow you to convert from one size to the other. At one time, I was able to buy fittings for the condenser and drier ends but the company making them went under. If you can procure a set of R12 lines (1991-early 1993), it's pretty straightforward to cut and braze.

Cut and splice..... ok, now we are talking. Are you talking about brazing them on? If so, where do I get fittings and what type of solder?

Here are my OD diminsions.

k

Here
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422650707.617998.jpg

I'll take some pictures of what mine looks like. I searched the MUD classifieds to find someone parting an early 80.

If a person goes with the cut and splice method, what is the advantage to using the old lines and condenser? Wouldn't it be as simple to cut the lines that run to the condenser, and up top where they head down, and splice in a section that bends to where you want it? It made sense when you were working to sell a "kit" that was bolt in, so you could sell something that had the factory bends in it. If a person (or shop) is fabbing it up on the spot, I don't see the advantage of mixing the R12 and R134a systems.

I personally like splicing the R134a fittings onto the factory R12 lines since they allow the drier to mount in the stock R12 location and the lines follow the factory routing. I did build some lines from scratch and found it very difficult to bend the lines to follow the factory routing. By changing the condenser fitting on the line, you retain the stock R134 condenser. If you use the R12 condenser, you'll then have to change the outlet fitting-easier to change the inlet line and keep the R134 condenser. I'll post a couple pics that will hopefully clarify.

Thank you for explaining that. As I guy with virtually no experience bending lines, I don't have much sense of what work I want done, or the challenges different routes raise. I'll look forward to the pictures.

You also get the correct mount the bolts up by the battery when you salvage lines from an older landcruiser

Some pics of my cut-n-splice. You can see the tight 180 degree bend off the top of the drier, I couldn't find a bender that could duplicate that radius.
DSCN1589.jpg

DSCN1584.jpg

DSCN1579.jpg

Very cool. In fact Ice Cold! :)

Did you find splices for the pipe, or did you find a way to expand the original pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom