A343 Transgo Reprogram Kit Install - 1995-1997 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How tight are the bolts holding them together? How hard are they to get apart? What exactly is the question?
Whats the torque spec when putting them back together? FSM doesn't have it that I can see.

So having some trouble that I think is tied to the installation of the shift kit. Finally getting my rig running again and its like its missing a gear. pulled the shift linkage off and I can only move the lever through 4 positions. Have a spare tranny in the garage so I know it should have 5. Engine starts fine in park like usual but once placed in reverse it still only moves forward. To get neutral to shift the transfer case it has to be in drive. When I set the shift linkage up as per the fsm I cant get into 1 or L, which I believe is the lever pushed all the way forward. Any thoughts before I drain it and drop the pan? So far I have only done a cold fill because it cant get out of the garage to drive it and check the level hot without reverse.

Sounds like you didn't get the shift linkage lined up with the rod on the valve body.

panoff.jpg

So having some trouble that I think is tied to the installation of the shift kit. Finally getting my rig running again and its like its missing a gear. pulled the shift linkage off and I can only move the lever through 4 positions. Have a spare tranny in the garage so I know it should have 5. Engine starts fine in park like usual but once placed in reverse it still only moves forward. To get neutral to shift the transfer case it has to be in drive. When I set the shift linkage up as per the fsm I cant get into 1 or L, which I believe is the lever pushed all the way forward. Any thoughts before I drain it and drop the pan? So far I have only done a cold fill because it cant get out of the garage to drive it and check the level hot without reverse.

Sounds like you didn't get the shift linkage lined up with the rod on the valve body.

View attachment 2474382

Figured so. Thanks. Should be able to fiddle with it with the pan off until it pushes through all positions.

Yup. shift lever wasnt connected to the valve body rod. Works now.

Last edited:
Doing this today and thank god for the pics here of where the little “check balls” should be.
I may or may not have had a few too many beers during this project and I straight up dropped all little balls and s*** go 😂

Huzzah! It worked.
I definitely notice more crisp shifts than prior to the install. Trans has 183K on it and this brought it back to how I imagined it drove 100K ago.

~6 qts of ATF to refill.

this is truly a super simple kit to install, a little messy but not as bad a rebuilding an axle (yuck 0/10 - would not recommend)

Attaching a photo of the final location of the check balls (after removing the 2) in case anyone else happens to lose all them.

- yellow is the small size (.212 I think)
- Orange is the large size (.248 I think but there’s only one big one so you can just play “one of these things is not like the other” to identify it).

911DDCDD-05AC-4C61-8C32-FD9531B4453A.jpeg

I may finally do this I have to go to the transmission place and get the kit

I adjusted the "line pressure" cable per FSM and do have firm shifts but I'm still wondering if I should go this route.....

I adjusted the "line pressure" cable per FSM and do have firm shifts but I'm still wondering if I should go this route.....
I would/have. It’s worth it. Just chill on the 3-4 shift. Don’t go much over a step bigger than it already is. Mine is harsher under light loads than I’d like.

I love it. N/A, it has a nice little bump at gear changes. I would say it had confidence now. I can't remember if you have a turbo, but if N/A, I would set your adjustments back to stock if doing the kit.

I would/have. It’s worth it. Just chill on the 3-4 shift. Don’t go much over a step bigger than it already is. Mine is harsher under light loads than I’d like.
You might try and adjust your pressure detent down one....?

I love it. N/A, it has a nice little bump at gear changes. I would say it had confidence now. I can't remember if you have a turbo, but if N/A, I would set your adjustments back to stock if doing the kit.
Yup, got a turbo

Installed the transgo shift kit in an A343F out of a 1997 Fzj80 today in preparation for the new motor and turbo going in. Drilled out the 1-2 2-3 3-4 shift holes, removed the balls it said to and replaced with the ones supplied. Was easy and straight forward

Upper valve body, one check ball removed, nothing added.
PXL_20240108_183343127.jpg

There was some confusion about this one earlier in this thread. The ball the screw driver points to stays, if there is one in the square to the right remove it. This one did not have one there.
PXL_20240108_183348983.jpg

Lower valve body, one ball removed and spring replaced with the blue one of the same diameter.
PXL_20240108_184942455.jpg

PXL_20240108_185639716.jpg

Pictures of the accumulator springs after changes have been made
PXL_20240108_190119442.jpg

If you are doing a bunch of these for turbo customers, it might be worth contacting ATFSpeed and buying the billet Accumulators with the better seals.

If you are doing a bunch of these for turbo customers, it might be worth contacting ATFSpeed and buying the billet Accumulators with the better seals.

Noted! Thank you for sharing those. I'll definitely look into them. Have you installed them in your transmission? Impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom