Builds A Troopy Finds Its Owner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello Damienperu,

Wow, that's fantastic; how to thank you?
Now then, sooner or later i'll strap my ass to a printer and get busy. Hats off, folks.

Yes they do, trust me i've checked; which is why i'm leaning towards improper design of the reservoirs as an issue (i don't know any better). Whatever the cause, the result is less than satisfactory.
Do you want an factory tank out of the rear of a BJ74 to try? At least get rid of the two, and also verify filler is proper
and vented properly as well.

Hello Cruiserpilot,

That's an awesome offer, thank you. One of the reasons i haven't added anything to Mud for a while is because i am currently unable to do anything to my car, apart from drive it and keep it maintained. So i'd be glad to take you up on that, however i've no space to work in.

Damienperu and Airheadnut,

This is, uh, a little embarrassing: i had looked up the PTO winch in my manual months and months ago, and had forgotten what i'd seen. Thought i'd have a sniff at it again today and, well, the PTO winch IS in there.
What i had been hoping to find in there all those months ago was something about how to dismantle the PTO winch handle, the one inside the vehicle: that info is missing, and that's what i should have asked for ('cause of the damned whine/buzz emanating from it at most speeds).
Apologies to the both of you for going to the trouble, from a forgetful ding-a-ling.

man is there anything on that truck that doesn't have a problem?

You mean apart from the driver and owner?

I am a picky bastard, i'm happy to admit. I'll never be happy until it's god's own Troopie. Having said that, i use it as my daily driver, long distance trips, everything, just drove the most challenging 4x4ing i've done so far (in Arizona, sorry the pictures are boring), and it is a damn fine car. The off-roading demonstrates to me that it is a much, much more capable off-roader than i am as a 4x4 driver (lack of experience).
Blablabla, the car just does what i want and never complains. Perhaps i should accentuate the positive more often, huh.

Hello Mudders,

I found that one of the two tiny bolts at the bottom of the PTO winch handle was missing. One is located at the front of that handle, and the other at the rear. Pictured is one of those tiny little bastards.
I hoped that the installation of the missing one would be useful for the PTO winch handle's buzzing type of sound; it made little if any difference.
All the same i'm happy that a missing piece is no longer so.
Dan, at the LC Heritage Museum, found the numbers and the parts for me, and a BIG thank you to him; a very pleasant sort to deal with, and i'm not looking for favours. The part number is 90149-40004, and the star washer comes with it. He had a look at his own Cruiser's PTO handle and found one bolt missing also, as well as in two of the museum's Cruisers, suggesting to me that this is not an uncommon issue. So i'll also wrap a bit of black tape around that part of the winch handle, in case those little bolts have a habit of getting vibrated out. By the way, installation (or removal, of course) requires a 2.5mm Allen key.
I wanted to post this on a thread in the 70s forum dealing with just that issue, but cannot find it again. Yet.

20180417_124501.jpg

20180417_124452.jpg

There was a bit of confusion about the washer. The catalog did not show it and all the vehicles we looked at (with missing screws) had the washer "stuck" to the knob. That made it appear that the washers came with the knob. Not so, the new screws included the washers and the old washers were easy to pop out of the knob with the tip of a knife blade.

I had not looked through this thread before. That is a bummer to read about the build and Wayne. I remember the build thread, even commenting in it and I liked Wayne on the forum years back.

I am sure it is history for you now but the thread and story brought back memories for me of a very similar experience I had back in the early 2000's. I had a 712m 6x6 Pinzgauer that was in need of a lot of work. On the Pinz forum was a guy, Dennis, who owned Linden Engineering in Colorado. I was in Wyoming so he was kind of close. He seemed like a nice British chap, contributing on the forums, seemed very knowledgeable and he was well traveled and supposedly had worked on a lot of Euro trucks most his life like the MAN, Pinz, Volvo's and others. So I booked a $18+k build with him and took him my truck. Five months later when I got my truck back it was the 4th of July so I jumped in it and went camping. Got it stuck one night, new winched burned up super fast trying to get it out. Clutch froze up the next morning. So I towed it home and started tearing into it. Come to find out many things I paid for like all new brakes on the truck we not done, there wasn't even new parts anywhere in the brakes and I had paid for new gear from master cylinder to brake springs.

I called up Dennis who gave me the run around and a fat line of BS and blamed it on his employees. He continued this way for some time (perhaps hoping I would just go away) until I went public on the Pinz forum as well as threaten to turn him in for fraud. Within a week of me going this route he had come to my shop in Wyoming with every part I request in the build that was not right. He then himself, spent a week installing all the stuff in my truck while I supervised. He regained a lot of my respect for this, as much as he could after many months of BS. And since I had went public with my negative experience I certainly gave him props on the Pinz forum for manning up and making things right. I actually even bought a body off him after this so we did some more business although he never touched a truck of mine again. I did hear from others during my experience with Dennis and for a few years after that they had very negative experiences as well.

I only did on build after this that I paid for before going the route of doing all my own work.

I like your Troopy! :grinpimp:

Cheers

Hello,

Some guys will not do their work properly unless they are closely supervised, or under a serious threat.

Sadly, these people tend to be everywhere these days. What ever happened to commitment and to doing things right the first time?

Juan

Some guys will not do their work properly unless they are closely supervised, or under a serious threat.

Sadly, these people tend to be everywhere these days. What ever happened to commitment and to doing things right the first time?

Competition...It's happening here too. The price has become so important that quality takes a back seat and is considered a luxury, this model is mostly profitable through volume. Commitment and doing things right the first time is expensive, low volume and requires a reputation.
These successful competitors also do work for customers who want quality.
Successful and Quality does not go hand in hand anymore that's for sure..........................my 2c......and last beer.

Competition...It's happening here too. The price has become so important that quality takes a back seat and is considered a luxury, this model is mostly profitable through volume. Commitment and doing things right the first time is expensive, low volume and requires a reputation.
These successful competitors also do work for customers who want quality.
Successful and Quality does not go hand in hand anymore that's for sure..........................my 2c......and last beer.

Hello,

Sad but true.

This model is complemented by the always-too-clever service adviser obsessed with finding everything "wrong" with your car. By the time he has "done his job" the billing amount has quadrupled. This specimen makes the honest used car salesman look like an angel.

Brave new world...

Juan

I had not looked through this thread before. That is a bummer to read about the build and Wayne. I remember the build thread, even commenting in it and I liked Wayne on the forum years back.

I am sure it is history for you now but the thread and story brought back memories for me of a very similar experience I had back in the early 2000's. I had a 712m 6x6 Pinzgauer that was in need of a lot of work. On the Pinz forum was a guy, Dennis, who owned Linden Engineering in Colorado. I was in Wyoming so he was kind of close. He seemed like a nice British chap, contributing on the forums, seemed very knowledgeable and he was well traveled and supposedly had worked on a lot of Euro trucks most his life like the MAN, Pinz, Volvo's and others. So I booked a $18+k build with him and took him my truck. Five months later when I got my truck back it was the 4th of July so I jumped in it and went camping. Got it stuck one night, new winched burned up super fast trying to get it out. Clutch froze up the next morning. So I towed it home and started tearing into it. Come to find out many things I paid for like all new brakes on the truck we not done, there wasn't even new parts anywhere in the brakes and I had paid for new gear from master cylinder to brake springs.

I called up Dennis who gave me the run around and a fat line of BS and blamed it on his employees. He continued this way for some time (perhaps hoping I would just go away) until I went public on the Pinz forum as well as threaten to turn him in for fraud. Within a week of me going this route he had come to my shop in Wyoming with every part I request in the build that was not right. He then himself, spent a week installing all the stuff in my truck while I supervised. He regained a lot of my respect for this, as much as he could after many months of BS. And since I had went public with my negative experience I certainly gave him props on the Pinz forum for manning up and making things right. I actually even bought a body off him after this so we did some more business although he never touched a truck of mine again. I did hear from others during my experience with Dennis and for a few years after that they had very negative experiences as well.

I only did on build after this that I paid for before going the route of doing all my own work.

Cheers

Sorry to hear about your experience. I see Dennis is very active on the sprinter forum and seems to be respected there. I’ve never personally had any dealings with him. Was small world syndrome to see his name here and remember the other reference.

Cheers
Hello RMP&O,

Appreciate your reply, as well as the following commentary. You certainly got done by that Dennis chap, huh. At least he made good, although well after the fact and after much bitching and threats (christ it drives me up the wall when you have to behave like a posterior perforation to have people do what they are supposed to, and say they will, do).
I've no such possibilities with that crushers clown, and i'll be fixing his crap for a long time yet. But i think i've said that a few times on this forum already.
Nice to get all that feedback, kinda like getting an online hug from the community, hey!

@Seth S and @61Mk+ my story is from 2003 so 15yrs ago. Dennis made right by me, it just caused me a lot of grief getting there and I had to get nasty with him to get what I paid for. I have no idea what he is doing now or if he is still slim shady, I have had no dealings with him in nearly 15yrs.

It is good to see you charging ahead @61Mk+, some people would let this ruin the truck for them and would just unload it for a big loss.

Cheers

20180518_135102.jpg
Hello Mudders,

My power steering gearbox has been leaking at the sector shaft. I ordered and received the gasket kit for that, and here's a picture with a parts number. Just a number of O-rings, steel rings, a circlip, etc; not cheap at 368 bucks (shipping and taxes included), but that is Canuck dollars.

I have got the same nightmare experience with Profitt's cruiser on a hzj79 build. the truck stayed there for almost 2 years and when i got it back after 67 000$ CAD worth of paid bills, i had to go over 100% of the electrical-mechanical work they performed. They gave me a quotation of 35 000$ and a 6 month window for the total work.... ended up almost 2 years and 67 000$. I will leave alone all that was incorrectly installed and everything they screw up , it would take 3 hours writing :) . Cruchers was one big mouth here sneaking into all kinda threads most of the time with B.S. and calling out people for no reasons most of the time. I am Glad i read this thread entirely as this confirms he is what i thought he was. thanks for this thread.

I have got the same nightmare experience with Profitt's cruiser on a hzj79 build. the truck stayed there for almost 2 years and when i got it back after 67 000$ CAD worth of paid bills, i had to go over 100% of the electrical-mechanical work they performed. They gave me a quotation of 35 000$ and a 6 month window for the total work.... ended up almost 2 years and 67 000$. I will leave alone all that was incorrectly installed and everything they screw up , it would take 3 hours writing :) . Cruchers was one big mouth here sneaking into all kinda threads most of the time with B.S. and calling out people for no reasons most of the time. I am Glad i read this thread entirely as this confirms he is what i thought he was. thanks for this thread.

Yet Profitt wants $225K for another 79 build it seems.

@supraturbo .... "I have got the same nightmare experience with Profitt's cruiser on a hzj79 build".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your experience seems to be a recurring theme with many of their builds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom