Builds A Troopy Finds Its Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am always searching the #troopy hashtag on instagram. A familiar looking front end showed up this time around....
IMG_3802 copy.jpg

I take part in none of the social networking sites, so this picture is news to me; thank you, Scoobs! I've no idea who took that one, but i am familiar with the precise location.

I take part in none of the social networking sites, so this picture is news to me; thank you, Scoobs! I've no idea who took that one, but i am familiar with the precise location.
I must admit, I was pretty sure it wasnt your account haha. I was surprised the kid knew it was a troopy. Obviously he is a fan though!

It's happened to me a few times that people take pictures of my car; it also happens when i'm not around, i see.

More wood to be dragged home for the woodstove. I used one of those chains with a hook attached to each end. Cannot get enough firewood at this time of the year. You should be here, Rosco, -15 to -20C, snow everywhere. Will be going for a little 4x4 drive soon, will try to remember to take pictures for you.

DSCN2323_LI.jpg

Had a play today. It's been cold enough for long enough that the ice on the lake is thick enough, although i am chicken to get in the middle of the lake. Funny to see cars parked (parked!) on the lake, next to all the ice fishing shacks, including full-size four-door Yankee pick-ups. I take these drives just to engage the front hub locks as well as the diff locks, just to make the little devils work and keep them active. And yes, just because it's a good day when i can give the Troopie a good bash in the snow.

DSCN2326.JPG

DSCN2327.JPG

DSCN2332.JPG

DSCN2333.JPG

DSCN2334.JPG

Last edited:
Rosco! Enough snow here for you? These pictures show a spot i got stuck in; the snow was fairly deep, and i had forgotten to lock the right front hub, for which i deserve all the beatings Mudders wish to hand out. A shovel, a spade, a few minutes, and that sorted us. If one has a peek at the second-last picture (one pic too many, sorry), one can see the imprint from the front diff and leaf spring bolts (i backed out of that spot). A heavy car, the Troopie, to me it's a sinker. Great fun, when are you coming to visit Rosco?
On ice (like on the lake, solid ice underneath the snow), by the way, i don't give a damn how good one's 4x4 is or how good the tires are, without studs you ain't goin' nowhere. The snow provides, if i understand correctly, something for the tread blocks to grab. I got through no problem (not that it was a challenge), even as to walk on the snow-covered ice was something one had to do minding how one placed and moved one's feet. And yes i had long johns on.

DSCN2328.JPG

DSCN2330.JPG

DSCN2331.JPG

DSCN2329.JPG

Hello,

I forgot to mention that i had the brake proportioning valve disconnected, as DamienPeru suggested a while back. After, say, 550 km, i haven't noticed any difference. So far it's all been with only a very light load in the car. I appreciate your mentioning it, Damien.

Hello,

I forgot to mention that i had the brake proportioning valve disconnected, as DamienPeru suggested a while back. After, say, 550 km, i haven't noticed any difference. So far it's all been with only a very light load in the car. I appreciate your mentioning it, Damien.
If you cranked it up and disconnected it from the axle and you noticed no improvement whatsoever under light load then your rear brakes might need adjusting. Or maybe the valve was positioned and working correctly and your vehicle is very heavy unloaded due to all the mods and they were already working at 100% all the time.

Food for thought, Damien, and thanks again.

More wood to be dragged home for the woodstove. I used one of those chains with a hook attached to each end. Cannot get enough firewood at this time of the year. You should be here, Rosco, -15 to -20C, snow everywhere. Will be going for a little 4x4 drive soon, will try to remember to take pictures for you.

View attachment 1371622

Rosco! Enough snow here for you? . Great fun, when are you coming to visit Rosco?

Anyday now ,its getting too hot for the beach now unless you go before 10am .
This is the snow I have to put up with. I think is was 44c that day. I had to wait for the Bush Fire Brigade to put that fire out and reopen the main road

Grey 007.JPG

Last edited:
The fire fighters were using their new V8 diesel 79 series to fight the fire and they liked them.
It was the Landcruiser's "baptism of fire" LOL.

44C, holy crap. I don't think i've seen that since i was in the Great Sandy.

Its lovely ,isn't it:ban:
Well it was bloody handy to hang up laundry to dry - a soaked pair of jeans, no wringing at all, would be dry in one hour. And the photo of your pick-up on the beach has me missing Oz.

A silly question, but i don't know where i can find an answer (which can be interpreted as, Mudders are so good at providing answers i can't be bothered to look elsewhere): is it safe to assume that, if a Troopie had no factory-mounted spare on the rear door, it was of necessity installed underneath the rear of the vehicle (were any ever put inside the car)? Is there a way to tell, say, by the VIN?

Ah yes, logic; once again i forgot to apply that. Cheers, Coldtaco!

A silly question, but i don't know where i can find an answer (which can be interpreted as, Mudders are so good at providing answers i can't be bothered to look elsewhere): is it safe to assume that, if a Troopie had no factory-mounted spare on the rear door, it was of necessity installed underneath the rear of the vehicle (were any ever put inside the car)? Is there a way to tell, say, by the VIN?

If they weren't bolted to the door they went inside under the bench seats closest to rear door. I cant remember if it was LH or RH. Now I'm guessing that if it was sold without any rear seats or if it had a front facing rear, then it would be on the rear door.
The door mount might have been extra $$$ because the RV models all had the door mount, at least in oz anyway.
I never saw one close up but I think there was a hole in the floor for it to bolt to.
It was an awkward position for rear passengers.
I tried to find a pic but nothing on google images.

EDIT. I couldn't find the parts for how I described it but I know Ive seen them there. I went and had a look at mine and the RH inner fender has an indentation where it looks like the tyre goes.
The parts diagram does show an under body system like the 60 series but a troopy with the sub tank wouldn't have the room for the tyre as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom