97' FZJ80 heated seat install with Toyota horizontal low/high switches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You should only have three connections, right? I don't remember the colors, but under the seat, one (#1) should be ground all the time, one (#2) should be +12V on low and grounded on high, and the last (#3) should be +12V on high and not connected to anything on low. So, assuming your elements are each 2 wires, you should connect #1 and #3 to one element, and #2 and #3 to the other (both elements share #3). This puts the elements in parallel on high, and in series on low.

You should only have three connections, right? I don't remember the colors, but under the seat, one (#1) should be ground all the time, one (#2) should be +12V on low and grounded on high, and the last (#3) should be +12V on high and not connected to anything on low. So, assuming your elements are each 2 wires, you should connect #1 and #3 to one element, and #2 and #3 to the other (both elements share #3). This puts the elements in parallel on high, and in series on low.

Ok, that, I think, makes sense. This is where I was lost. My elements are 2 wires each. I think what was throwing me off is that (#2) goes to ground when the switch is on High. Which, I could've checked with the multimeter, but it didn't occur to me. Thanks for your help, I'll give it a shot this week.

I’m currently planning to add heated seats to my 1997 LX450. I’ve been looking for the Japanese horizontal switches (Toyota 84751-60030 and 84751-60040). Reluctant to see that you guys have struggled to find heated seat plugs in the factory harness. I thought they would be found behind the dash as well. I still want to run the horizontal switches to keep the dash looking original. I would consider the vertical switches, however, i’m Keeping the factory Subwoofer/Console.

Thanks for all the good info and keeping this thread alive. If anyone knows where I can get the horizontal switches, please let me know.

131450C3-715A-4361-9D5D-999C569654C2.jpeg

0E5AC9FF-C103-4D03-BB10-C65599A64E7A.jpeg

450D7EED-A6CE-468D-BF5E-22BF4A80FDD0.png

I want to do this in my 97. I had aftermarket units installed in my 94 and they’re wonderful.

Get in line, I've already got a WTB in the classifieds for these switches :flipoff2:

Actually I'd prefer the vertical switches. I've found them online overseas but they aren't cheap. Haven't looked into how reputable those sites are either. I have new leather from LSeat in route, so now is the time to do it for me too. Let me know if you stumble across a hoard of these switches.

Get in line, I've already got a WTB in the classifieds for these switches :flipoff2:

Actually I'd prefer the vertical switches. I've found them online overseas but they aren't cheap. Haven't looked into how reputable those sites are either. I have new leather from LSeat in route, so now is the time to do it for me too. Let me know if you stumble across a hoard of these switches.

where overseas? i've been raiding every couch in the house.

I’m currently planning to add heated seats to my 1997 LX450. I’ve been looking for the Japanese horizontal switches (Toyota 84751-60030 and 84751-60040). Reluctant to see that you guys have struggled to find heated seat plugs in the factory harness. I thought they would be found behind the dash as well. I still want to run the horizontal switches to keep the dash looking original. I would consider the vertical switches, however, i’m Keeping the factory Subwoofer/Console.

Thanks for all the good info and keeping this thread alive. If anyone knows where I can get the horizontal switches, please let me know.

View attachment 1598561

View attachment 1598562

View attachment 1598563

For some reason, I have one horizontal switch... Brand new in the bubble wrap, a left hand switch with a P/N of 84751-60040. Let me know if you're interested!

@Demonic92 has sourced another set of switches that will work, here's the link to the thread: Heated Seat Switches RX300

Since these switches do not come with the harness like the 80 series ones, is anyone able to help find out the connector part numbers for either the end that goes into the RX300 switch (84751-48040) or the male end that connects into the factory 80 series harness? I will be doing some posting on the Lexus forums as well for the switch side. As for the harness end, I'd prefer to keep it OEM, but worst case I could cut off the end and wire in a new plug...

Incredible! I ordered a bezel lodes with two of these switches for $13.99 shipped on eBay. Thanks for the heads up!!! I will most likely wire directly outside of the factory harness.

Incredible! I ordered a bezel lodes with two of these switches for $13.99 shipped on eBay. Thanks for the heads up!!! I will most likely wire directly outside of the factory harness.

Clearly I did not search hard enough yesterday! I paid around $40 for mine and that was the cheapest I could find for one with the hi-low switches.

@Demonic92 has sourced another set of switches that will work, here's the link to the thread: Heated Seat Switches RX300

Since these switches do not come with the harness like the 80 series ones, is anyone able to help find out the connector part numbers for either the end that goes into the RX300 switch (84751-48040) or the male end that connects into the factory 80 series harness? I will be doing some posting on the Lexus forums as well for the switch side. As for the harness end, I'd prefer to keep it OEM, but worst case I could cut off the end and wire in a new plug...

Clearly I did not search hard enough yesterday! I paid around $40 for mine and that was the cheapest I could find for one with the hi-low switches.
FYI to all of you, and thanks @BayArea80 for the mention

If anyone wants to buy just the pins for the harness rather than the Toyota repair wire with the pigtail :

They have the Toyota 1.0 , 1.3 and 2.3mm pins in both male and female for .20 a pin.

Beats $7 for the repair wire and it's one less spice under my ass.

Best crimper for these I've found is the Engineer PA-20 available at amazon.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the Toyota FSM Electrical Wiring Diagram for the entire heated seat system they could post? Thanks!

FINISHED PRODUCT
View attachment 1179339

I also just did some base line testing with a non Contact infrared thermometer from Harbor freight.
Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer With Laser Targeting
Here are the results:

It was 30 degrees outside.
I sat in the back seat for all testing, so I was not sitting on the elements.
The truck was cold and this was the first time I turned the truck on for the day.
The heat or ac was turned off.
Truck was running in park in my driveway.
I ran the test for 10 minutes.
The before temperature was before I turned the truck on, so I was sitting in the back seat and took some quick readings.

Driver side seat switch was turned to the low position:

Drivers Side (Set to Low)
Before
Bottom Element - 24.7 Degrees
Back Element - 25 Degrees

After
Bottom Element - 30.1 Degrees
Back Element - 34.0 Degrees

Passenger Side (Set to High)
Before
Bottom Element - 30.1 Degrees
Back Element - 34.00 Degrees

After
Bottom Element - 55.1 Degrees
Back Element - 59 Degrees

I know that isn't the most scientific way to test/show the temperature... but it at least gives you an indication of the difference between Low/High.

I hope this is useful to everyone. There are a lot of great threads that I read through to help pull this all together. It is rather easy once you get into it.
If there are any questions or comments fire away.

For the High/Low pins, does it matter which pin is next to the ground? I installed mine with the high connector next to the ground. However on a diagram it looks like the low pin should be next to the ground wire.

1593453323925.png

@GOTLOCKED96 @Congo Cruiser did you guys ever end up figuring this out? I am a total electrical noob! I have some Scheel Mann seats and that is what I am trying to hook up.

Everyone else: I basically have two elements (back and bottom) is the objective to just combine the ground for each element and combine them into one ground wire and connect that per the instructions of the very first post by @jwilliams ?

Do I then combine both the 12V+ wires together and split them back into two wires to each of the respective switch wires?

The wiring connectors that came from my seat each have a separate ground wire (one is black and the other is black with yellow stripe) THEN on one connector the 12V+ (black with red stripe) loops over to the other connector and then comes out as one wire.

Does this make sense? Haha.

20201219_152033.jpg

@Delta VS hey Dave, it's Brian from the FB 80 group. Does my question above make sense?

In order to make this as clean as possible, should I go cut the connector off my old seats? Is that needed or can I splice into the wires on the switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom