Builds 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I mean you're already waiting 24 weeks for headlights they're bumper should arrive just in time.
This is how it goes. Based on the lead times for everything, I think I need to pull the trigger on the bumper soonest. I was hoping to be in a better position to buy the front and rear bumpers, sliders, and other non-essentials simultaneously. But now that the engine is coming out, I think I need to seize this opportunity to repaint the cruiser. See my bank account just f*cking screaming in agony.

More decisions to come. I just realized I have nowhere to put the f*cking transmission. I need to grab some pallets.

It's Thanksgiving. Shouldn't you either be helping the wife/in-laws in the kitchen or laid up on the recliner drinking and watching TV?

Oh. . Happy Thanksgiving 😁

It's Thanksgiving. Shouldn't you either be helping the wife/in-laws in the kitchen or laid up on the recliner drinking and watching TV?

Oh. . Happy Thanksgiving 😁
Yeah, I am not big on Thanksgiving. I had already smoked two cigars since waking up and wrenching.
Another issue: I think I will use the new short block on this cruiser instead of the one I have parked outside. I must look up how to get a short block onto an engine stand. This is where my life is at the moment. I don't know sh*t about ****!

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving.

We need photos of your puzzle. I want to see the carnage of your engine pieces out and strewn about your shop.

We need photos of your puzzle. I want to see the carnage of your engine pieces out and strewn about your shop.
Oh and happy thanksgiving. You should be feeling some thankfulness towards yourself. Your elbows deep on a project that is new territory and you have been so patient over the past couple of years waiting on retirement. A blown HG wasn’t in the plan, but your s*** is gonna be so amazing when you are done. This is all because you are willing to do it. So raise a glass toast yourself my man. 🥃

Thanks Greg @PNWTreeOctopus wishing you, your family and all the other forum members a happy thanksgiving.

Now come over to the farm in your tryptophan induced coma and help me pull this engine.

I have whiskey and a ton of scotch.

Are the lifting rings or whatever already mounted on the short block? Could you rig up some sort of gantry? Wait, you have the engine hoist right? Fully support whatever the hoist is attached to at the moment and get the hoist attached to the new short block and lift that S.o.b so you can get it on the engine stand. Done and done. Proceed to 3rd cigar and brown water of your choice.
Happy Thanksgiving!

How the f*** do you get a short block from a pallet onto an engine stand? The Internet is no help.

Put old head studs in the top of the new short block. Lift it with your engine hoist and put it on the stand. It is easier to put the bolt on portion of the stand on the engine by itself. Then install the stand.

Cheers

Put old head studs in the top of the new short block. Lift it with your engine hoist and put it on the stand. It is easier to put the bolt on portion of the stand on the engine by itself. Then install the stand.

Cheers
Thanks, Ian. I'm a virgin. My short block came to me in a reinforced cardboard box upside-down. If I understand you correctly, you're saying to turn it upright and install the head bolts and wrap chains around those head bolts to lift it.

How do you do it to where you're not banging the bottom end around? I'm alone; I may need to recruit some strong bros to help me.

How the f*** do you get a short block from a pallet onto an engine stand? The Internet is no help.
Use the engine hoist to pick it up, then bolt it to the stand.

If needed, you can then pick up both the engine with the stand attached to move it.

Make sure you go buy the correct size bolts for the stand to the block. If they are too long, you can shim with flat washers on the back end of the bolts. Make sure they are the metric grade 8 version I think that's 10.2 or something.

Thanks, Ian. I'm a virgin. My short block came to me in a reinforced cardboard box upside-down. If I understand you correctly, you're saying to turn it upright and install the head bolts and wrap chains around those head bolts to lift it.

How do you do it to where you're not banging the bottom end around? I'm alone; I may need to recruit some strong bros to help me.
You can hang it upside down if you can rig it with decent size bolts from the bottom. Then flip it over once on the stand.

You might want to borrow or acquire one of these to verify flatness of the block deck once you have it fully prepped. I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow one from the machine shop that did my head. It’s good to see you so far along already.

Are the lifting rings or whatever already mounted on the short block? Could you rig up some sort of gantry? Wait, you have the engine hoist right? Fully support whatever the hoist is attached to at the moment and get the hoist attached to the new short block and lift that S.o.b so you can get it on the engine stand. Done and done. Proceed to 3rd cigar and brown water of your choice.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Mike, thanks for the assist and happy thanksgiving to you too.

I’m looking at this giant hunk of metal in a box. My back is already ****ed from my years of military service and I’m thinking to myself, “ugh **** that”.

It doesn’t have any hooks or anything. Just a giant ass block of metal. It has to be done though.

Use the engine hoist to pick it up, then bolt it to the stand.

If needed, you can then pick up both the engine with the stand attached to move it.

Make sure you go buy the correct size bolts for the stand to the block. If they are too long, you can shim with flat washers on the back end of the bolts. Make sure they are the metric grade 8 version I think that's 10.2 or something.
Just come over. Thanks. 🤣

Thanks for the info, I’m just afraid of messing anything up. I suppose I have to use the chains from the engine leveler that’s attached to the hoist. There is nowhere to strap it except around the whole block.
I think that is a bad idea. Metal on metal. Precision surfaces. Maybe I need to get synthetic rope or something.

Am I misunderstanding what you mean?

You might want to borrow or acquire one of these to verify flatness of the block deck once you have it fully prepped. I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow one from the machine shop that did my head. It’s good to see you so far along already.

Thanks Steve. I need to buy one of those and feeler gauges. Hope you’re well brother.

Just come over. Thanks. 🤣

Thanks for the info, I’m just afraid of messing anything up. I suppose I have to use the chains from the engine leveler that’s attached to the hoist. There is nowhere to strap it except around the whole block.
I think that is a bad idea. Metal on metal. Precision surfaces. Maybe I need to get synthetic rope or something.

Am I misunderstanding what you mean?
There are bolt holes for engine mounts on the sides. Start there.

Do not wrap around the block for any reason.

Best thing is the engine leveler with chains into fixed points. 3 points in a triangle is best. One on each side and then one on the front or rear of the engine, but not on the part where the bell housing mounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom