'91 fj80 manual seats into '95 with power seats (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for advice on those that have swapped fj80 manual cloth seats with their leather power seats. From what I've read, looks like they bolt right in, with some minor differences in overall seat height.
What I am looking for, is how you have dealt with the seat belt issues. The ones I am looking at have non integrated seat belts on the seat like my current leather ones. The Manuel ones have a floor mounted seat belt.
@LS1FJ40, My search on this had a post from you where you were swapping in manual seats into your fzj80, how did you deal with the lower seat belt attachment? Or was yours bolted to the manual seat? Any advice from you guys that did this would be much appreciated!

The cloth seat are not as comfy as the leather seats, I would not do it

Unless you already have the seats – and perhaps even then – my own advice would be forget about 91 to 92 seats and use 93 up. Otherwise, my understanding is that you must fashion your own floor mounts. The question then becomes: would you bet your life on their integrity? And if one should fail on somebody, your insurance company will have some interesting things to say about The intentional removal of a factory safety device...

whoa whoa whao..... talking folks out of mods these days. What has mud come to? :D

the 91-92 use a seat belt receiver that is bolted to the floor at the rear inner seat mount I believe.
Unfortunately the male end of 93-97 will not work so if you swap seats make sure to get the corresponding belt (91/92) or be willing to cannabalize the old (95) seat to reuse the receiver. You would have to somehow safely weld/attach it to the new seat frame.

I swapped in non OEM so am sort of in same boat and vendors want what seems to be too much or arent willing to split out just the receivers of a set or the whole set rivals new cost. I would like to sell my 95 seats so would rather not rob the receiver to mount to my procars. Likely, after 20yrs it is safest and smartest to buy a new set of seatbelts but they arent cheap once you get a DOT rating. Heres one spot to start browsing. THey dont have an 80 specific set but have good custom dept and offer the floor or stalk mounted receivers as well.
Lap Shoulder Belts - Seatbeltplanet | The Worldwide Authority on Aftermarket Seatbelts

I thought I recalled they bolted right up but thinking some more I believe it may be easiest to swap the slide mechanisms and think this is what LS1FJ40 did. Remove your slide mechanism off the power seats and secure it to the bottom of the manual seat and viola.... bolt it back in.

They will bolt right in. I haven't gotten around to it but they will.

The seat belt is different so you need to source that and the receiver mount to the floor.

91-92 cloth seats are far more comfortable than 93-97 leather. Not even close. And they will give you a couple of inches in height and leg room.

It is night and day when I drive my 92 compared to my 93. I never hit my knee on my column clam shell on my 92. I've broken two on my 93 in the past year.

Dive in. Do it. Enjoy!

Oh, and post pics!

Hmmm, advice is all over the spectrum, from "do it it's the best" to "do it and you may die"! I don't have the seats yet, but they came up for sale here locally (which may not happen again on my tiny island in the pacific!). Guy wants $50 each, so sounded like an ok deal to replace my old tired power seats. I should mention I have brand new leather seat covers coming in the mail next week, so the plan was to rehab the old torn cloth manual seats with new fresh leather. OEM manual seats with brand new leather sounded so good!
Here is the manual seats for sale, there crusty, gross and ripped, but would be getting a full new cusion and leather makeover!
IMG_5446.JPG

The cloth seat are not as comfy as the leather seats, I would not do it
Well they would have new seat cushions and new leather covers on them, so that may help the comfort level.

Unless you already have the seats – and perhaps even then – my own advice would be forget about 91 to 92 seats and use 93 up. Otherwise, my understanding is that you must fashion your own floor mounts. The question then becomes: would you bet your life on their integrity? And if one should fail on somebody, your insurance company will have some interesting things to say about The intentional removal of a factory safety device...
You make a good point, does open up some liability if I went that route.

whoa whoa whao..... talking folks out of mods these days. What has mud come to? :D

the 91-92 use a seat belt receiver that is bolted to the floor at the rear inner seat mount I believe.
Unfortunately the male end of 93-97 will not work so if you swap seats make sure to get the corresponding belt (91/92) or be willing to cannabalize the old (95) seat to reuse the receiver. You would have to somehow safely weld/attach it to the new seat frame.

I swapped in non OEM so am sort of in same boat and vendors want what seems to be too much or arent willing to split out just the receivers of a set or the whole set rivals new cost. I would like to sell my 95 seats so would rather not rob the receiver to mount to my procars. Likely, after 20yrs it is safest and smartest to buy a new set of seatbelts but they arent cheap once you get a DOT rating. Heres one spot to start browsing. THey dont have an 80 specific set but have good custom dept and offer the floor or stalk mounted receivers as well.
Lap Shoulder Belts - Seatbeltplanet | The Worldwide Authority on Aftermarket Seatbelts

I thought I recalled they bolted right up but thinking some more I believe it may be easiest to swap the slide mechanisms and think this is what LS1FJ40 did. Remove your slide mechanism off the power seats and secure it to the bottom of the manual seat and viola.... bolt it back in.
Thanks for the link, new seat belts to go with my new seats may be the call!

Oh, and post pics!
Cmon @LS1FJ40, have I ever been one to not post pics?! On that posting pic subject, the inspiration for this manual seat conversion came from rolling around in our 60 with all manual everything....just seems so much more practical. Here's me being practical and super comfy in my 60 manual seats, would be a nice setup in my 80!
IMG_5056.JPG

I'm in the middle of putting different seats in my 97 and the older seat belt recievers snap right in like they're supposed to. Is it only certain years that don't work together?

Hmmm, advice is all over the spectrum, from "do it it's the best" to "do it and you may die"! I don't have the seats yet, but they came up for sale here locally (which may not happen again on my tiny island in the pacific!). Guy wants $50 each, so sounded like an ok deal to replace my old tired power seats. I should mention I have brand new leather seat covers coming in the mail next week, so the plan was to rehab the old torn cloth manual seats with new fresh leather. OEM manual seats with brand new leather sounded so good!
Here is the manual seats for sale, there crusty, gross and ripped, but would be getting a full new cusion and leather makeover!
View attachment 1453461

Well they would have new seat cushions and new leather covers on them, so that may help the comfort level.

You make a good point, does open up some liability if I went that route.

Thanks for the link, new seat belts to go with my new seats may be the call!

Cmon @LS1FJ40, have I ever been one to not post pics?! On that posting pic subject, the inspiration for this manual seat conversion came from rolling around in our 60 with all manual everything....just seems so much more practical. Here's me being practical and super comfy in my 60 manual seats, would be a nice setup in my 80!
View attachment 1453460

Your leather seat covers WILL NOT work with manual seats. The patterns are different.

Manual seats are the best. Anyone that says otherwise has a) never had them or b) never had the power seat gears go bad with the front seat all the way forward.

Power seats make zero sense to me. They give you less height, less leg room, more stuff to go wrong.

Your leather seat covers WILL NOT work with manual seats. The patterns are different.

Manual seats are the best. Anyone that says otherwise has a) never had them or b) never had the power seat gears go bad with the front seat all the way forward.

Power seats make zero sense to me. They give you less height, less leg room, more stuff to go wrong.
Depends on where you get them. Land Cruiser Heaven has leather covers for manuals.

While we're picking on power seats: they're slower to adjust and--mortal sin--HEAVY...

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of putting different seats in my 97 and the older seat belt recievers snap right in like they're supposed to. Is it only certain years that don't work together?
To my knowledge, all 93-up seats use seat-mounted belt receivers.

Seatbeltplanet is awesome. I have a post somewhere with their entire color range.

As to seat mounts and slides, there is a company called wedge that makes just about everything. Somewhere on Mud I have a link to their cruiser specific mounts. Probably quicker to just check their website.

To my knowledge, all 93-up seats use seat-mounted belt receivers.
That's what I thought. I'm pretty sure the floor mounted recievers I bought are from a 91-92 and the male belt in my 97 snaps right in.

I had seen you post about manual cloth seats and thought you were full of crap........until I sat in a set.

I have a friend with a 94 with manual cloth seats. He's taller than I am and he didn't realize what he had.

I sat in his truck and was AMAZED and how much more comfortable the manual cloth seats were compared to the power leather seats in mine. I LOVE power seats. However, to get this level of comfort, I WILL change them out.

I would recommend the 93+ manual cloth seats if at all possible.

They sit a little lower and a little farther back so they give more legroom too.

@Aloha Jen I have manual cloth seats in my 94 like the poster above mentioned. If you could find some locally out there I would go for that option, very comfortable and practical.

Why you got to be a dream killer!

I have had both, and gear failure ( easy fix ), if you drive long distances a leather is 100x more comfortable than a manual seat, unless you are putting new foam in the manuals I see no point JMHO

I'm currently swapping out my '91 cloth seats with '94 cloth seats. '94 Seat belt receivers (female end) are built into the seat. I could take a picture, tomorrow to confirm or deny, whether the '94 has a capture nut on the floor to attach the seat belt receiver if you go with the '91's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom