Registry 8x Series V8 Swaps

Vehicle Registries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This conversion is as expensive enough, i decided to go with the Toyota radiator and toyota air box up untill they proved to not be up to the task.

Radiator is doing great hum along at 195-200, however the toyota air
Filter barrel (housing) is kind of bumpersome.

Would some folks mind posting up some pictures of how you elected to do your air cleaner in stalls ?

View attachment 4217737

Radius Fabrication out of Australia. 4" intake with snorkel. Not low cost.

Some with Safari type snorkels like yours do upgrade, but will have an additional fender hole that will need to be covered since the fender cuts are not the same.

1790163296305.webp


1790163324178.webp
 
Also not low cost but Torfab has a nice conversion airbox they make

 
Here is mine. It has a cone filter inside. I like the cone filters because they dont take up a lot of real estate under the hood. If I had to do it again I would just make my own enclosure for the cone filter rather than adapt one to fit. I would avoid installing a air filter that isn't enclosed and ducted to cold air. Ive noticed significant better feel in power with colder intake air personally.
20260923_113811.webp
 
This is how I fixed mine and it seems to work well.
IMG_8497.webp
 
That's a nice setup! What's the plastic intake 90 at the throttle body from?

P600325 Donaldson Original Rbr Elbow. The other two pieces are a 4" to 3.75" reducer and a 4" elbow(I forget what angle it is, it came from an Airaid AIR-100-400 UBI (U-Build-It) Intake Kit)​

Another nice thing about using the H2 air cleaner is that it already fits the GM MAF.​

 
That's a nice setup! What's the plastic intake 90 at the throttle body from?
Those are known as a “cobra head” 90. There are a few different styles.
 
Those are known as a “cobra head” 90. There are a few different styles.
Yep, I'm using one at the filter can. 4" all the way to the throttle body. Still need to trim the hood webbing a bit even after a fair amount of massaging with a hammer. Probably can trim down at the filter can some more too.

That H2 one looks more compact than the silicone one I have though.
PXL_20260819_181200996.webp
 
Updates on two issues I was dealing with (no ac and P2135 code limp mode). @NeverFinis you are right. The aftermarket evaporator that I got from rockauto, the thickness is smaller than the stock LC. It fits fine and works great. Don’t think it makes much of a difference. Caused of warm air and no AC, either bad expansion valve or evaporator. Now I have AC. P2135 code, after I replaced with a brand new Hitachi throttle body and new pigtail.. Have not ran into limp mode after a month of driving. Taping up the connector was a great idea. Thanks @White Stripe.

IMG_2913.webp


IMG_2914.webp
 
Last edited:
Well, 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Got everything running, working through the usual, getting fluids warmed up and checking powersteering/hydroboost lines, making sure trans has fluid throughout the system and is working. Found that the CDL wasn't working and the 4WD indicator was staying on. So, a side quest...position sensors all bad, the CDL motor was oxy/hydrogen welded and no recovery from that. Got new sensors, and found a working CDL motor. All good now.

As I was doing checks on things and logging the engine, found that I was getting no readings from the MAF. While the engine/trans is a 2009, it must have been an early one as it has the 2008 tube/card hybrid MAF. Got a Delfi replacement easy enough. Once I figured out how to get the card out, sure enough the thermister for the IAT was burned out, made me feel good about just throwing the parts cannon at it and buying a new one. No joy. Then thought the cheap wiring harness may have had LS7 wiring to it, so swapped it. Again no joy. The original wiring showed a IAT of 67 (actual temp was ~63, close) but never moved. The rewired connector then showed 117, not close, and also never moved. Neither wiring showed frequency or any airflow. Found the connector on the original harness and the new harness was wired correctly, also checked it at the ECU.

In the process of gong through these checks while logging, I checked for DTCs, of course there were some (no O2s, the MAF, and AC pressures). I went ahead and cleared them, instant engine shutdown. Tried starting again, fires, then shuts right off. Tried multiple times with/without throttle, wait a few minutes, same results.

I've had this happen a few times now. First start did this and after a reflash of the ECU. At some point it would start again and be fine. Don't know if it's a wiring problem at this point or if it's a problem with the ECU or ?? Basically original stock tune, just a few things turned off (VATS, fuel pump set to static, starter diagnostics turned off). My fuel pressure gauge is wonky so getting a new one today so I can be sure the pressure is good. Doesn't seem fuel related, it doesn't starve for fuel, it just shuts off after firing.

Oh well, this is what makes these projects fun, right ;)
 
Well, 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Got everything running, working through the usual, getting fluids warmed up and checking powersteering/hydroboost lines, making sure trans has fluid throughout the system and is working. Found that the CDL wasn't working and the 4WD indicator was staying on. So, a side quest...position sensors all bad, the CDL motor was oxy/hydrogen welded and no recovery from that. Got new sensors, and found a working CDL motor. All good now.

As I was doing checks on things and logging the engine, found that I was getting no readings from the MAF. While the engine/trans is a 2009, it must have been an early one as it has the 2008 tube/card hybrid MAF. Got a Delfi replacement easy enough. Once I figured out how to get the card out, sure enough the thermister for the IAT was burned out, made me feel good about just throwing the parts cannon at it and buying a new one. No joy. Then thought the cheap wiring harness may have had LS7 wiring to it, so swapped it. Again no joy. The original wiring showed a IAT of 67 (actual temp was ~63, close) but never moved. The rewired connector then showed 117, not close, and also never moved. Neither wiring showed frequency or any airflow. Found the connector on the original harness and the new harness was wired correctly, also checked it at the ECU.

In the process of gong through these checks while logging, I checked for DTCs, of course there were some (no O2s, the MAF, and AC pressures). I went ahead and cleared them, instant engine shutdown. Tried starting again, fires, then shuts right off. Tried multiple times with/without throttle, wait a few minutes, same results.

I've had this happen a few times now. First start did this and after a reflash of the ECU. At some point it would start again and be fine. Don't know if it's a wiring problem at this point or if it's a problem with the ECU or ?? Basically original stock tune, just a few things turned off (VATS, fuel pump set to static, starter diagnostics turned off). My fuel pressure gauge is wonky so getting a new one today so I can be sure the pressure is good. Doesn't seem fuel related, it doesn't starve for fuel, it just shuts off after firing.

Oh well, this is what makes these projects fun, right ;)
Have you check your grounds? Check your fuel pressure if you can. And of course vat is deleted.
 
Well, 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Got everything running, working through the usual, getting fluids warmed up and checking powersteering/hydroboost lines, making sure trans has fluid throughout the system and is working. Found that the CDL wasn't working and the 4WD indicator was staying on. So, a side quest...position sensors all bad, the CDL motor was oxy/hydrogen welded and no recovery from that. Got new sensors, and found a working CDL motor. All good now.

As I was doing checks on things and logging the engine, found that I was getting no readings from the MAF. While the engine/trans is a 2009, it must have been an early one as it has the 2008 tube/card hybrid MAF. Got a Delfi replacement easy enough. Once I figured out how to get the card out, sure enough the thermister for the IAT was burned out, made me feel good about just throwing the parts cannon at it and buying a new one. No joy. Then thought the cheap wiring harness may have had LS7 wiring to it, so swapped it. Again no joy. The original wiring showed a IAT of 67 (actual temp was ~63, close) but never moved. The rewired connector then showed 117, not close, and also never moved. Neither wiring showed frequency or any airflow. Found the connector on the original harness and the new harness was wired correctly, also checked it at the ECU.

In the process of gong through these checks while logging, I checked for DTCs, of course there were some (no O2s, the MAF, and AC pressures). I went ahead and cleared them, instant engine shutdown. Tried starting again, fires, then shuts right off. Tried multiple times with/without throttle, wait a few minutes, same results.

I've had this happen a few times now. First start did this and after a reflash of the ECU. At some point it would start again and be fine. Don't know if it's a wiring problem at this point or if it's a problem with the ECU or ?? Basically original stock tune, just a few things turned off (VATS, fuel pump set to static, starter diagnostics turned off). My fuel pressure gauge is wonky so getting a new one today so I can be sure the pressure is good. Doesn't seem fuel related, it doesn't starve for fuel, it just shuts off after firing.

Oh well, this is what makes these projects fun, right ;)
Well, the good news it started up no problem this AM. The bad news, have no idea what the problem is/was. Wish it hadn't started so I could track it down. Very confident it will rear it's ugly head again at the worst possible time.

Did get the MAF figured out to0. The 2008 MAF card is wired differently than 2009. So even the original harness wouldn't have worked on the replacement card. Ahh, GM so nice of you to use random parts, and just about every possible bolt head size known to man in random places...
 
Back
Top Bottom