85 PickUp: Patina or Paint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got my old 85 sr5 back! I bought this truck out of El Paso in 2010 iirc and put quite a few miles on it, in 2006 a good friend expressed interest in purchasing it and me needing money for some other project let it go but not without the understanding that if he was to ever sale I would have first option. Last week I received the phone call I had been waiting for and now the 85 is in my driveway!

The truck is solid but a bit rough around the edges, she's basically rust free except for where the paint and primer have burned off in the west tx sun. I doubt the interior has been properly cleaned in the last 12 years, I know I never really cleaned and it doesn't look like my buddy did either so there is at least 12 years worth of ranch, dog hair, spent brass and beer caps floating around inside.

Mechanically speaking she's pretty sound. My bud blew the headgasket on the interstate and installed a reman stage2 engine. He also fit new suspension, ac compressor and numerous other parts, will get a comprehensive list next time we talk.

Anyways, I guess the point of the thread is to get opinions regarding the exterior. Should I preserve the patina or have it resprayed the original color?
20220201_100928.jpg
20220201_100948.jpg
20220201_100906.jpg
20220201_100915.jpg
20220201_101031.jpg

20220201_101215.jpg

20220201_101236.jpg

20220201_101152.jpg

20220201_101205.jpg

20220201_101039.jpg

More pics
20220201_100958.jpg
20220201_101013.jpg
20220201_101132.jpg
20220201_101050.jpg
20220201_101141.jpg

I want to know what varmint is pissing on your wheels.

I hate to see these old girls look like this. They are beyond sexy when looking good. But, I also realize that getting this princess back into shape will clean out your bank account. I would tackle anything mechanical first. Then the interior. Then the exterior.

depends what your plans are for it
I'm thinking an occasional daily, would be a great rig to drive to town for hardware store duties and errands, would also be a great fishing rig for surf trips and carrying the kayaks, could also use it as a hunting rig again... The ac (which works great) will be nice during the summer, still haven't sorted out the ac in my 75.

I guess my current plan is a dependable daily, mechanically it's pretty much there outside of a small coolant and oil leak.

Advice from the department of hypocrisy:
- Clean the *$#@ out of it.
- Ditch the camper shell and rack
- Find a rattle can light gray/off white that matches the stripes and shoot the tailgate and wheels. Shooting it gray will look just as out of place, but look like you actually thought it was going to match.
- Drive it and worry about restoring it another day.

Genuine, rust-free patina is so rare. Striking a balance between that and neglect can be awesome.

Advice from the department of hypocrisy:
- Clean the *$#@ out of it.
- Ditch the camper shell and rack
- Find a rattle can light gray/off white that matches the stripes and shoot the tailgate and wheels. Shooting it gray will look just as out of place, but look like you actually thought it was going to match.
- Drive it and worry about restoring it another day.

Genuine, rust-free patina is so rare. Striking a balance between that and neglect can be awesome.
This is pretty much what I'm thinking at this moment. The interior is driving me nuts, guess I'm getting old or something! I kind of like the old camper though, my buddy drove the truck from West Texas to Colorado to pick it up, he paid $75 for it...

Definitely thinking some 4.56 I or 4.88 gears are in its future.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking at this moment. The interior is driving me nuts, guess I'm getting old or something! I kind of like the old camper though, my buddy drove the truck from West Texas to Colorado to pick it up, he paid $75 for it...

Definitely thinking some 4.56 I or 4.88 gears are in its future.

I dig the camper too!

As stated above it depends on what you're using it for. If you plan on just wheeling it and keeping it as an off-road toy, leave the patina!

If you plan on daily driving it, or don't plan on wheeling it at all it might be worth it just to get a Maaco paint job or something to keep it presentable. If you want to restore it, well then you know how that goes!

Sweet little truck by the way!

Obviously look after the mechanicals 1st, then the creature comforts that make a difference daily (interior ect..)
I'd try to preserve what you have and keep it from deteriorating more. Personally unless you plan on a doing a restoration like @Manhattan, then anything less would be an injustice for an original survivor like yours.
This is what I'd do: Thread 'Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks' Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/preserving-patina-how-to-tips-and-tricks.1097611/
Good luck, keep us posted 🤙🏼

Obviously look after the mechanicals 1st, then the creature comforts that make a difference daily (interior ect..)
I'd try to preserve what you have and keep it from deteriorating more. Personally unless you plan on a doing a restoration like @Manhattan, then anything less would be an injustice for an original survivor like yours.
This is what I'd do: Thread 'Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks' Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/preserving-patina-how-to-tips-and-tricks.1097611/
Good luck, keep us posted 🤙🏼
I read all 38 pages of that thread, it's the main reason I'm considering the patina option. The only portion I would like to touch up is the rear quarters where someone long ago started body work and maybe the junk yard tailgate. Does anyone know where I can buy a spray can or two of the Toyota 138 dark gray paint?

Does anyone know where I can buy a spray can or two of the Toyota 138 dark gray paint?
My local NAPA paint shop will mix anything I want, if I have the paint code. They will put it in a rattle can, pint, or quart.

My local NAPA paint shop will mix anything I want, if I have the paint code. They will put it in a rattle can, pint, or quart.
Will look into this.

Went to town today and picked up some fluid film from home depot, already have clr and rust converter, now if this darn cold front would leave... oh, also ordered a new throttle cable.

Below is a list of things I need to locate to get started on the refresh.

Quality seat covers
Shifter boot
Ac/heat bezel and vents
Dash pad or cap
Plastic trim piece behind passenger side window
Windshield washer reservoir

Patina usually looks great. Here is a thread about preserving patina etc. Do those first, and if you don’t like the look, go for paint.

I really dig the truck as-is. Just like others have mentioned, mechanical issues, interior refresh, preserve the patina. Especially since the side decals are still kinda there.

An automotive paint shop near me will mix any color based on a OEM color code and put it in spray cans, about $150 for 6 cans plus the extra in a regular can. Pretty convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom