84 FJ60 Resto, (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Talk about a real project buzzkill:frown:...I dove into the quarters today and they are a lot worse than I imagined they would be.

The left side has a dent and a tear near the wheel well and rust at the base of the well, and the right side is EVEN WORSE! The right side is completely smoked. Some asshat decided to sculpt an FJ60 out of 3/4" of Bondo along the entire bottom of the quarter. To make things worse, it looks like the reason for the panel is a huge friggin' gouge from the well to the bumper. To make things worse, said asshat did not prime/seal the metal before applying the Bondo, so now there was a dented, rusted quarter under 3/4" of Bondo.

Left:
Picture%20212.jpg

Picture%20215.jpg

Right:
Picture%20228.jpg

Picture%20225.jpg

Picture%20226.jpg

P.S. just in case the previous owner that applied the Bondo to this LandCruiser is a Mud member; :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

WOW!!! This thing is going to be sweet. Great work! :beer:

Talk about a real project buzzkill:frown:...I dove into the quarters today and they are a lot worse than I imagined they would be.

The left side has a dent and a tear near the wheel well and rust at the base of the well, and the right side is EVEN WORSE! The right side is completely smoked. Some asshat decided to sculpt an FJ60 out of 3/4" of Bondo along the entire bottom of the quarter. To make things worse, it looks like the reason for the panel is a huge friggin' gouge from the well to the bumper. To make things worse, said asshat did not prime/seal the metal before applying the Bondo, so now there was a dented, rusted quarter under 3/4" of Bondo.

Left:
Picture%20212.jpg

Picture%20215.jpg

Right:
Picture%20228.jpg

Picture%20225.jpg

Picture%20226.jpg

P.S. just in case the previous owner that applied the Bondo to this LandCruiser is a Mud member; :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Is the body only supported on the lift by the quater panel? If so, is that safe?

Zack

Looks lie those quarters a candidates to be bobed.

Really nice work overall, you are making this look easy.:cheers:

You can find a rust free set of rear quarters. Some guys Weld them back in all the way from roof to floor. :eek: I had the guy that did mine cut out the bad areas and weld in patches cut from 2 quarters I bought at a Junk Yard.

Looks lie those quarters a candidates to be bobed.

Really nice work overall, you are making this look easy.:cheers:

LOL, don't think I haven't thought about it....but unless I bobbed it to the rear door, I'd still have the rust issues to deal with.

You can find a rust free set of rear quarters. Some guys Weld them back in all the way from roof to floor. :eek: I had the guy that did mine cut out the bad areas and weld in patches cut from 2 quarters I bought at a Junk Yard.

Yeah, that's my current plan.

I'm hoping to find a clean quarter and patch mine from the door opening back and the window down. I'll drill the spot welds out at the tail lamp/hatch area, pinch weld, and door opening, and make my cuts at the C/D pillars on either side of the rear window. This would minimize the length of my welds and should allow me to patch it with minimal distortion/body work. Ideally, I would like to do this on both sides.

So, if anyone knows of a person parting out a semi-clean FJ60 body, PLEASE let me know!

Nice garage! Nice Rig, its gonna look awesome when you get it all sewn up. Nice work!

Nice garage! Nice Rig, its gonna look awesome when you get it all sewn up. Nice work!

Thanks man! Hopefully I can find quarters or else this project is really going to stall out...:mad:

I've got a perfect right side 1/4, inner and outer, part of the floor, from the rocker all the way around to the tail light and half way up the quarter window...............

can post pics when I get home Saturday(I'm in Tucson now)

I'm all the way in San Diego so I know freight would be a killer

:beer:

Yeah I bought it a few years ago(when I used to have extra cash) thinking I would need it to fix this:

clicky-clicky

that's a pole dent that was there when I got it.............

the 1/4 was a good ebay deal and it was close to me.................

but I got a lot of body guys sayin' they can fix what I got.........no rust and not really a major dent.........

I'll post some pics when I get home................

Okay, I haven't been good about updating all my individual projects on the 60 this weekend, so this is going to be a long post. First pics:

I started doing some spot rust repair on both rear inner fender wells. Even though I am planning on replacing the quarter panel skins, I don't think there is any reason to replace the wheel wells, so I am working to patch a couple small rust areas.

This is the rust in the LR wheel well. This picture is right after wire wheeling the undercoat so that I can see the spot welds better:
Picture%20240.jpg

This picture shows the intended cut area and all of the spot welds that will have to be drilled:
Picture%20244.jpg

Here is a quick pic of the spot weld cutter, in case anyone isn't familiar:
Picture%20246.jpg

This pic shows the area with all spot welds drilled out:
Picture%20248.jpg

And the section cut out:
Picture%20249.jpg

Here's how nasty it is under the rusty area:
Picture%20252.jpg

Pic after wire wheeling:
Picture%20253.jpg

After wire wheeling I found more rust and decided to expand the patch area:
Picture%20261.jpg

Picture%20256.jpg

Here are a couple pics of my patch areas in the other wheel well:
Picture%20217.jpg

Picture%20220.jpg

I'll post more pics as I start cutting and welding in patches!

My next project was to scuff the firewall with scothbrite's in prep for paint. I still need to look at the FSM for the procedure to remove the wiper motor.
Picture%20276.jpg

Picture%20278.jpg

After I got done with this, I decided to start working on the front clip. However, I was not digging the idea of kneeling over the clip the entire time. . . so I put my "paint rack" to good use and made a horse shoe shaped table to hold the front clip! Here are a couple pics of the table after stripping the front clip.
Picture%20263.jpg

Picture%20273.jpg

Of course, there are small patches of rust that will need to be fixed on the front clip too:
Picture%20266.jpg

Picture%20270.jpg

Picture%20274.jpg

Couple pics with the right side inner fender liner pulled:
Picture%20282.jpg

Picture%20280.jpg

2 e-mails coming.............lots o' pics

Done.

Looking good! The wiper motor is easier to take out than you think. 2 or 3 bolts and 1 or 2 studs.

Heads up while you have it this far down. Take a look inside the cowl (where the wiper motor attaches to the wiper arms). There are some vents that allow water/air into the cowl and the direct sunlight through them allowed the primered area to rust. You can see the rust "rectangle" that was directly below the vents inside the cowl:
100_4407.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom