80Series Full-time tcase in a minitruck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Box Rocket

SILVER Star
Threads
Yeah I’ve never heard of that either probably because it’s a dumb idea

Not behind a W56 trans, but if you go for a R151 trans you could get one from a HZJ105 with full time transfer. Although locating one of those could prove to be a challenge...

well ok then. 'ppreciate ya!

Assuming you were referring to 78-95,
why would you exchange a known strong lightweight gear drive T-case with a plethora of aftermarket support in the form of gearing options, doublers, strength upgrades, and is already bolted to your transmission for one that doesn’t offer any of that and will run into the gas tank because of the offset rear output and doesn’t bolt
to your transmission? I am actually wondering what you are thinking.

Just brainstorming. While it might not be as lightweight, its definitely a strong case and there are low range gearing options for it too so it's not as bad as you describe. I'm not determined to do it, which is why I asked the original question, to see if anyone else had gone down this road and had any insight.

The other things you mentioned... If I actually did it it would likely be behind a turboed 3RZ/W59 and use 80 series axles so the offset output wouldn't be an issue.

If MarlinCrawler would make a Toybox to the 80 series t-case (or, at all...), that might be a great way to go.

Just bolt an a440 and hf1a to your 4 banger

A couple years ago Toyota made a retro tacoma with 80 series drivetrain. let me see if I can find some pics.

Interesting idea, up here the notion of a full time case for winter roads, especially a case from a heavier duty vehicle is kind of attractive for an older lightweight truck. would be good for windy logging roads in the winter over 4WD.

too bad to hear about all the conflicts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom