78 Troopy flip top overlander (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting. I didn't realize the Defender was smaller.

However, I wholeheartedly agree, the market potential is probably much, much, smaller.

Here is a similar response, on Instagram, from them when I commented on the roof of a troopy.

View attachment 1226234

I had to check with Google, LC80 4780x1830, LR Def 110 4077x1791. Not much practical difference, LC80 is longer by quite a bit, and a tiny bit wider as well. LR Def 110 is taller, 2037 vs 1875.

I had to check with Google, LC80 4780x1830, LR Def 110 4077x1791. Not much practical difference, LC80 is longer by quite a bit, and a tiny bit wider as well. LR Def 110 is taller, 2037 vs 1875.

Good to know.

Like you said, strictly a smaller market and probably a good business decision. Oh well, I'll keep dreaming of my 80 being a pop-top.

Time to plan a custom conversion! Renago posted his custom conversion on this forum Toyota 78 pop up roof and I think he did a fantastic job. A lot of the steps he went through would be the same for a LC80 and I think a lot of the solutions to the problems he faced would be the same for the 80.

Hello Mervo, I'm guessing but I think the Defender is narrower and maybe slightly shorter. It's hard to tell without the two side-by-side to eyeball them, but I know that most vehicles designed in the late 1940s were pretty narrow by today's standards. As I'm typing this I'm half expecting a LR owner is about to flame me and put me in my place with a scathing correction.
ossewa1.jpg

Allen, I think the 80 is much narrower because of the rounded shape. Also, it is'nt good money to make one-off products like these built-in tents for too many different models. Any company like Alu-cab will concentrate on products that can be made up for the shelve, like their "Ossewa" (which means Ox wagon), which can be put on most any pick-up.

View attachment 1226317
Allen, I think the 80 is much narrower because of the rounded shape. Also, it is'nt good money to make one-off products like these built-in tents for too many different models. Any company like Alu-cab will concentrate on products that can be made up for the shelve, like their "Ossewa" (which means Ox wagon), which can be put on most any pick-up.

Looks similar to the uro camper xplora.

Well, I'll be damn. Looks like a 4Runner by the shape and style of the back windows, but I've never seen that pic either way.
Sorry, you're right! We don't get the 4Runner in SA, so I thought it was an 80. They have a tan-coloured 80 on their website also.

Hallo Alan,

View attachment 1225570 I have exactly the same RTT than you, and it was worth every cent!!! Where have you gotten those "bubbles" on your front drivers' and passenger windows from? Troopy's are not readily available in South Africa, so parts are very hard to come by :(

Your fitout in the back is also very impressive!

Hi there.
I think Alu Cab gave me your number to ask if we may impose and come view your troopy sometime when convenient ?
Best regards
Theo

Hi there.
I think Alu Cab gave me your number to ask if we may impose and come view your troopy sometime when convenient ?
Best regards
Theo
Yes Theo, Leo asked me today whether you've contacted me already :) We are at home over the weekend, so you are more than welcome to come and have a look. Just give me a call so that we can arrange a time.

View attachment 1226317
Hello Troepadoer, I agree entirely, the cost of manufacturing a "one off" is prohibitively high, and for a small to medium business trying to compete on price the development cost can only really be recouped if there is the opportunity for volume sales.

I do like the look of the Ossewa (I didn't know it translates to Ox Wagon) I see that one of car rental companies uses them in their rental fleet. If we ever get to South Africa I'd love to rent one and "go bush".

Good to know.

Like you said, strictly a smaller market and probably a good business decision. Oh well, I'll keep dreaming of my 80 being a pop-top.

Defender 110 is 4639mm + spare wheel. Also the front windshield rake is a lot steeper and there is no rear windshield rake at all....therefore the usable roof length is a lot longer. I don't have an 80 but I know from my 100 series to my LR110 the roof rack I can fit is a lot shorter

Yes Theo, Leo asked me today whether you've contacted me already :) We are at home over the weekend, so you are more than welcome to come and have a look. Just give me a call so that we can arrange a time.
Hi Troepadoer and tmarx,

I am also exploring my options for doing a similar setup as yourselves, and would love to show my wife your vehicle if not inconvenient in the near future. I would also value your advice on the vehicle, and how you kitted it out.

Maybe we should start a small Cape Town Flip-Top Troopy (wannebe) owners group ;) ?

Hallo Wildphoto!

I'm extremely excited that our Cape Town groepie is growing. You are more than welcome to come and have a look ;) You can give me a call on 0737040705 and we can set up a date and time!

Cheers for Cape Town Troopcarriers!!!

Not to hi-jack but surely everyone knows limited Alu-Cab is now available in the states
Alu-Cab Gen 3 Expedition Tent

@Troepadoer How is your fold up bed platform made? I have seen the German version and they use a composite material but your looks like frame work. Can you expand on the construction and stability?

Not to hi-jack but surely everyone knows limited Alu-Cab is now available in the states
Alu-Cab Gen 3 Expedition Tent

@Troepadoer How is your fold up bed platform made? I have seen the German version and they use a composite material but your looks like frame work. Can you expand on the construction and stability?
You are not hi-jacking LandCruiserPhil!
20160419_175409.jpg

The bed consists of 2 aluminium frames (the long one is 1750mm and the little one is 550mm). It has marine ply on-top and is covered with carpet. The factory mattress is 55mm high density foam, but we are getting a 75mm mattress asap. We have thoroughly tested its stability, and it has passed the test!

Alu-Cab Gen 3 Expedition

That ad claims that it is 3D Cad designed - if true then I fail to understand their reluctance to slightly alter their design to look more like the aussie Trakka Bushman etc - ie to follow the existing troopy lines as opposed to an all square coffin like box which clashes with all of the classic Troopy lines. It is such a good product why not make is look as good as it functions ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom