78 Troopy flip top overlander (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'Day everyone, I posted some of this information in reply to Renago's thread about his 78 conversion. I'm new to IH8MUD, and it would have been more appropriate to start a new threads about my Troopy conversions. Here goes. Here in Australia we get the LC70 Troop Carrier, or Troopy, with the 4.5lt V8 Turbo diesel.
DSC_0016_9.JPG
We had operated for a while with a roof top tent and a basic fit out in the back, with a dual battery system, 180w solar panel and regulator, an 80lt fridge and 60lt of drinking water. However, set up and pack away time for the roof top tent was becoming a pain if we were moving each day. We decided to have the roof cut off and have a pop top of some design fitted. There are surprisingly few options for a purpose built conversion for the Troopy available in Australia, especially if you rule out the various people who say that they can "make a Toyota Hi-Ace top fit". We found one guy in Melbourne who does great work, but offers a vertical rising pop top. The downside of the vertical pop top is lost roof load capacity, plus storage space is consumed by bedding when you're not actually sleeping. A guy in Sydney does a "European style" flip roof, again he does great work and enjoys an enviable reputation for quality. The flip top has the advantage of allowing for some loading of equipment and luggage on the roof as well as being able to keep bedding in place even with the roof down. The Sydney option lost its appeal when we were told that the vehicle would need to be with them for a few weeks - not a few days. A company in Perth, Quick Pitch Campers, offers a "European style" flip top as well, however, they offer a kit which is made in South Africa by Alu-Cab. Quick Pitch is the Australian agent for Alu-Cab. Fitting time is very quick, 1 day with 48 hours for the bonding adhesive to cure and set. The Goldilocks part of the Perth option was the speed of the conversion, but the total inclusions that come with the kit really was the icing on the cake. For slightly less than the Sydney option the Alu-Cab kit comes painted to match my vehicle, has three LED interior lights, two LED reading lights on flexible arms in the sleeping area, 25mm thick roof insulation, fit and finish to the interior trim and a very handy overhead shelf above the sun visors in the front. Watching the first cut into the roof was a gut wrenching moment of panic - after which the whole process was underway and there was no turning back.
DSC_0018_6.JPG

DSC_0053_4.JPG

AMcWilliams_Toyota_Landcruiser_VDJ78R_Conversion_6.jpg

DSC_0059_4.JPG

Envious and jealous in so many ways...Looks very nice.

Fantastic! That truck is the holy grail here, sure wish they made them for Canada! Nice build,
the first cut is the hardest I'm sure. Great idea, I just got a Maggiolina Extreme for my 60. Took a while
To get used to the feel, but sure enjoy it. I've seen Alu-Cab website, very nice stuff. good choice.
Welcome to Mud! More pics and sure would like to see all the other mods. Your fridge location looks
like you wanted it there, I prefer mine behind the front seats as well, frees up the back end.

Hello Cruiserpilot, the Troopy is pretty much the backbone of the mining industry here as well as being the vehicle of choice for remote communities, not to mention remote and regional police, fire and ambulance services. They are next to unbreakable and if they do break parts can be found in just about any town big enough to have a fuel pump. The biggest problem with buying a second hand Troopy is finding one that didn't work in a mine - they get very little TLC as a mine vehicle. As for the interior, putting the fridge behind the seat just made sense to us for the same reason you have. It is out of the way for loading and accessing the rest of the vehicle. We looked at the Maggiolina as well, but the price here in Australia is almost as much as the flip top conversion cost. The other attraction with the flip top is head room, it really does make the back feel very spacious. Here a few more interior shots of the bed space, head room and rear door table:

DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG

nice job Alano.
can you show us better pictures and mechanism of the pistons of the lift up .
I see one in the rear , and don't really understand it ??
I must be a real dummies , sorry .

bye Renago

nice job Alano.
can you show us better pictures and mechanism of the pistons of the lift up .
I see one in the rear , and don't really understand it ??
I must be a real dummies , sorry .

bye Renago
Hello Renago,

It is the access "hatch" to the sleeping area. There is a small (maybe 450 - 500 mm wide) "door" that hinges from the back of the vehicle that allows access to the bed space when open and when closed gives more usable space. This YouTube clip from Alu-Cab about they Land Rover kit (which is essentially the same as the Troopy kit) shows how it works, the pertinent part of the video is about 1:32 in:

Here is a photo of one similar to mine, but the part is not very clear:
IMG_1698.JPG

Here's a great clip on the Alu-Cab. 4xOverland

EDIT.. Try this again...

Hello Scrapdaddy, yep, it is through this guy's YouTube clips that I found Alu-Cab. He did a lot to his car that I like, and he did some things that I don't like. It is a case of having "the right tool for the job" and this guy is a movie maker, his car is designed to be part editing suite and part production office as well as great overland vehicle. I find his videos to be really entertaining and always informative.

may I ask what is the cost ex works of the pop up roof for Toyota sold by Alucab ?

the small removable hatch , is not a bad idea .... I should have thought about it before...

bye Renago

@AlanofOZ could you post more pics of the lip and how sits when closed? Love that inner sleeping platform...
Im trying to build my own and always looking for information from others..

Beautiful set up..!!

Frank

@AlanofOZ could you post more pics of the lip and how sits when closed? Love that inner sleeping platform...
Im trying to build my own and always looking for information from others..

Beautiful set up..!!

Frank
Hello Manuchao, thanks for the positive comments. I'm not sure which lip you are referring to. Do you mean the outside when closed, or the bed when it is in the sleeping position?

Both please.!!!

DSC_0033_6.JPG
Toyota_Landcruiser_VDJ78R_Conversion_1.jpg
Toyota_Landcruiser_VDJ78R_Conversion_4.jpg
Toyota_Landcruiser_VDJ78R_Conversion_5.jpg
Both please.!!!
Hello Manuchao, you've caught me getting ready to go on a ski vacation to Utah, so the Troopy is parked in storage for the next couple of weeks and not handy for me to go outside and take photos. Hopefully these photos will help. The exterior photos were taken for our car insurance - they wanted to see the car before they would underwrite the risk - and the interior shot was taken while the conversion was underway. You may have to "zoom in" to see the detail you're looking for.

Thank you..!!

Have a great trip..!!

is that Sensual Healin playin in the background of that video:lol:

I was born on the wrong island!!!

Wow very nice truck! Those Alu-Cab tops look amazing I love how you can raze the bed with the top and leave your bedding up there. Just perfect!

I can see where the insulation on the top would be a nice touch also.

Looks like you made great use of space for the rest of the interior build out, nice work!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom