Builds 78 body off restore (cruiser #2) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What kind of a tumbler are you using? Some specs and pictures of the tumbler would be great. Thanks!

$35 Harbor Freight special. Only bad thing is I wasn’t supposed to use liquid in it. I put in a simple green mixture and this worked for about 3-4 tumble loads before I fried the motor (assume leaked into it). So just picked up another.

Monthly update :rolleyes:. Things have been largely on hold, due to the construction of my new shop(!). Can't wait to move in and have a proper place to do this stuff.

In the meantime"
  • got the engine completely torn down and off to the machine shop to get hot tanked, decked, tested. I am now trying to source parts for the rebuild. I want to go OEM as much as possible.
    • **Does anyone know of a list of all gaskets and hard parts that are needed? I know you can buy gasket sets, but it appears to get OEM I have to order individually...I am not sure all the gaskets and other parts I need. I can cobble a list together, but just hoping someone has something already.
  • Ordered a Teseven 1/2 tub. They have a year backlog, so looking like around next summer it will get delivered.
  • Got the front seat frames painted and got the upholstery and covers on. I went to an upholstery shop and while they did a good job, I am pretty sure I got jobbed on the price...
Some pics of the still under construction garage, seats and engine:

Dsqa4kEVQKqqRAchkAz48w.jpg

f%WhuTVSSsOLlnuJHNW39Q.jpg

W8iPn%TdTmKsuEaVe09Bow.jpg

tVfyrPUpTGmXSjPq2Aw2uA.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

Last edited:
Ok. Delays of life keep happening, but I am finally getting going. Been working on the frame and overall I think it’s in great shape. I took all the measurements from the FSM and pretty much dead on everywhere, so no twisting or other issues.

The one problem area is the rear crossmember and support gussets/brackets. Looks like the lower portion of the middle section was bent down slightly which created a gap between the crossmember and the bracket, and they just rusted out.

B79DC07E-FA92-48EA-9C29-529661C2C9D2.jpeg
AC61CA65-C553-4EDC-B692-808250621E6C.jpeg
1AC26803-7349-4118-AD41-AE458DB0445D.jpeg

I think I can straighten the crossmember and replace (or maybe repair?) the gussets.

I think @Awl_TEQ makes a replacement for most of that rear frame area.

Spent the evening cleaning another batch of parts for plating. This is after about 20 hours in a tumbler with some simple green.

View attachment 1978415
What kind of tumbler are you using and can you post some pics of it? I have been thinking about buying one.

What kind of tumbler are you using and can you post some pics of it? I have been thinking about buying one.

I just use this one: 5 Lb. Metal Vibratory Tumbler Bowl

But it isn't made for liquid, which I discovered and fried the motor. So I picked up another one and have just been dry tumbling. But mixing with simple green did a much better job.

Monthly update :rolleyes:. Things have been largely on hold, due to the construction of my new shop(!). Can't wait to move in and have a proper place to do this stuff.

In the meantime"
  • got the engine completely torn down and off to the machine shop to get hot tanked, decked, tested. I am now trying to source parts for the rebuild. I want to go OEM as much as possible.
    • **Does anyone know of a list of all gaskets and hard parts that are needed? I know you can buy gasket sets, but it appears to get OEM I have to order individually...I am not sure all the gaskets and other parts I need. I can cobble a list together, but just hoping someone has something already.
  • Ordered a Teseven 1/2 tub. They have a year backlog, so looking like around next summer it will get delivered.
  • Got the front seat frames painted and got the upholstery and covers on. I went to an upholstery shop and while they did a good job, I am pretty sure I got jobbed on the price...
Some pics of the still under construction garage, seats and engine:

View attachment 2089252

View attachment 2089253

View attachment 2089256

View attachment 2089257

View attachment 2089262
I almost went with Teseven myself, but my concern was if their was a problem with the tub then Im going to have to deal with a company half way around the world. And for some reason Im a magnet for problems, so I decided not to use them. Seats look great.

Looks like AWL_TEQ is not making parts currently. You can make your own rear brace section out of rectangle steel with some mods.

Wow, I did not know he was not producing anymore, bummer. BTB (Break The Bank) does have some nice stuff but it's going to be expensive, hence the name.

Looks like AWL_TEQ is not making parts currently. You can make your own rear brace section out of rectangle steel with some mods.

maybe a good project to cut my fab teeth on? Looking at them, seems pretty straightforward...

Hey Curtice, is the 78 frame better than the 76, disregarding the motor mounts for the 350? I wouldn't swap frames because of just the 350 mounts, if the 78 frame is in overall better condition then the 76. I couldn't tell by the photos. Cleaning up the motor mount area is no big deal.

Hey Todd! I think the 76 is in better shape overall. The 78 frame is pretty hacked up at the front, and the rear crossmember on that one is more bent up it appears, although not unfixable. Gussets might be in better shape on the 78 frame...i'll give it some thought.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like they make a full tub though......still looking for one here....

I ended up going with Teseven and purchased a half tub, but am considering changing that order to a full tub.

OK, so need to update. Been working on this quite a bit, but making slow (and sometimes backwards) progress. I'll try to give some more regular updates, post some pictures of the progress.

First off, tub, since that was the last discussion here. I purchased a 1/2 tub from Teseven, paid half down last year. If you haven't heard, they burned down last month. Too bad as they were good to work with and I felt bad, for them losing their business, but also for all the cruiser owners that lost their whole cruiser. Anyway, Teseven has promised a refund, which is good for me. The downside is I now need to figure out what to get, so back to square one. I'll most likely go for a Columbia made one from one of the vendors that does that. I just can't bring myself to pay the price Cool Cruisers wants. Outside possibility I'll go Aqualu, but don't think so. More to come on that.

Next, the frame. Oh what a nightmare i've had here. I bought the rear frame gussets from Cruiser Solutions. Turned out great. Also picked up some new front bumper extensions.

Started by cleaning real well. Here is my son washing it:

ha+ttrYrTQOKU+lm+yMUbg.jpg

I wanted to powder coat, but decided I needed to start saving money where I could. After researching POR15 and all related products, I decided to go with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, covered by their 2K Ceramic Chassis paint. So I got the frame all prepped and sprayed the Rust Encapsulator. This was my first time using a paint gun, and it went on well and turned out great.

OlbWrnM0R7SpltEdLbfhFw.jpg

So, so far so good. I followed Eastwood instructions and proceeded to apply the 2K chassis paint. All seemed to be good, until a couple of days later where I was still waiting for the paint to seem ready (well beyond the time it should). But the paint never adhered. I could just scrape it off with my fingernail. The rust encapsulator was rock solid, but not the paint. I called Eastwood and they told me I must have not used enough activator. So, I spent the next week stripping it back down with a combination of wire wheel and chemicals, so I could repaint. Since I was pretty upset and lacking in confidence in my painting skills, I had a friend who paints cars for a living come help. So we painted it together. I waited a few days, and same problem. :bang::bang::bang:. He said the paint sucks and we did everything right. I called Eastwood back, they didn't know, but at least gave me all my money back. At this point, I'd had it. So I took it in to get blasted and powder coated. Just got it back last week and it looks great. Should have done this in the first place and not wasted more than a month.

0a7%HBVDT9K28VMUylf8Mg.jpg

cRnIxEBtQ6S5hsl9VaDZCg.jpg

So that is where I am at on the frame. Excited to be able to start bolting things onto it!! :cool:

Last edited:
In the meantime while dealing with the frame nightmare, I got to work on rebuilding the axles (front first). This has been documented quite a bit, but here are some photos of my progress. First a few before photos. Ugly!

60591200042__E5BC98C8-551F-426C-9F39-32E07410909E.JPG
f4T6RaAYQCW65ER3CqOAUA.jpg
mnBFzUrLT26zdQYUAra%4g.jpg

So tore things down. My son again helping:
u4eYhtvjQlm5J7AldOQRsQ.jpg

It is messy work
xzJymDpXR0eujfyXRGM%Hw.jpg

But got it all torn down. Decided not to mess with the dif at this time. It didn't appear to be leaking, so I will let be and take it on as a later project if I need to.

After tearing down, I realized that my balls were really pitted :cautious:. Plus there was a pretty nice groove, I assume from the cruiser sitting for years without moving before I bought it. Guess I didn't take a before picture. But I saw the JB Weld trick that others have done to fill in the pits and groove, so decided to do that.

uhnUASB+RQ28hoW%cX1mAg.jpg

Let it dry a couple of days and sanded it off. Turned out real well and feels much smoother. Its probably not perfect, but it'll do I hope.
LJ3egBlXRJ+AmUengSSHmg.jpg

So got to painting and rebuilding the components. Rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters

342YBVphQCWZAV4lU9EA9A.jpg
AYRhUPW5QGWM3lX3pZKjKw.jpg
0aGllueOTOGS8qndyD8%bw.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom