'76 Rear Axle too Far To Passenger Side

My 1976 FJ40 seems to drive fine, but Ive always been curious about the rear axle. When you look at the body above the rear tires, the passenger rear tire is flush with the body, but the drivers side is at least 2" inset of the drivers side fender. Im looking into doing a real alignment this spring and was wondering if you guys can give me some advice on why the wheels are so far off from each other......

jim land

SILVER Star

it could be an illusion cause by typical cruiser lean , if the driver side is lower ,the rear tire will be cover by the body on this side , but 2'' is alot

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor

Are your rear shackles straight up and down and parallel to each other when viewed from directly behind the vehicle ?

Or... 60 axle swaped in all to one side without cutting into the center section :hmm: haha

If it was a 40 axle pushed over 2 inches one tire would be hanging out by 2 and the other would be under the truck by 2...

Yes let’s see pictures of this!

Last edited:
Will get pictures here in May...shes in storage for the winter.

The body is in pretty bad shape, tub is all rusted and repaired by PO in a few spots. Rims are the stock steelies, but I bought them used on Craigslist so maybe there was a slight difference in a couple haha. No matter how you adjust the drag link the car ALWAYS has to be steered to the right a 1/4 turn. Should have the stock axles, as it was original save for the motor which was factory replaced at some point. Has a 4" HFS lift on it with 33 x 10.50

Top Bottom