75 FJ40 - Any red flags?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys... Would appreciate your opinion on this 75 engine. Yay or Nay?

Thanks!

IMG_1252.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1254.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG

Could use a lot more info. You're going to want to know the compression numbers, total mileage, ever been rebuilt, etc...

Buying things on looks can get you into big trouble!!!

Could use a lot more info. You're going to want to know the compression numbers, total mileage, ever been rebuilt, etc...

Buying things on looks can get you into big trouble!!!
Thanks! He says the mileage says 65,000, but is pretty sure it rolled over. The 40 is a few states over from me so I haven't seen it in person yet. Don't know compression numbers or if it's been rebuilt.

The dash looks a little strange to the far left, and so does the passenger floorboard. I can't make out what it is. But I am new to the Cruiser world and am not sure what an authentic one should look like.

01515_31v3slUVIjR_600x450.jpg

as everyone else says, do the compression test ... I'm assuming the engine is in a 75? ... get the engine number off the left side of the block just above the starter and check it against the engine serial number data here or on Spector Off Road table ... that will give you an idea if its a 75 engine or something else ...

Thanks! He says the mileage says 65,000, but is pretty sure it rolled over. The 40 is a few states over from me so I haven't seen it in person yet. Don't know compression numbers or if it's been rebuilt.

The dash looks a little strange to the far left, and so does the passenger floorboard. I can't make out what it is. But I am new to the Cruiser world and am not sure what an authentic one should look like.

Well, it's hard to see much, since it looks like someone took a can of black Krylon and sprayed the entire dash with it. There appear to be multiple holes drilled in the far left section of the dash, for no obvious reason. The steering wheel is not stock. The non-stock seats are some of the ugliest I've ever seen. Not sure what you're looking at on the "passenger floorboard", but in the one pic you've posted, the passenger seat is mounted much farther back than the stock location, so you can seen the gas tank in front of it. That may be what you're looking at.

While it is hard to tell the overall condition of any vehicle without doing an in-person inspection, this one appears to have a number of poorly-executed modifications.

I know its likely exploration at this point re that 40, but if you're interested in it, there must be a local Land Cruiser club where the truck is ... a local cruiser-head may be able to do an inspection for you ... just a thought ...

All what they said about the black paint and the seats...

The underside of the hood looks like it may be original paint though. It's kinda weird you didn't post any pics of the whole truck, expecially the bezel. I'm sure it's upside down.

X2 on finding a local MUD member/club for on-site advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom