'71 FJ - Clueless and need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I'm new to the community. I've always been a Toyota guy ('98 Runner, 2x 2010 Tacos) and have been looking for a hobby...so, I bought a '71 FJ for s**ts and giggles. My priorities are:

1) Installing seat frames and seats
2) Figuring out the steering/installing power steering
3) Replacing the front drums with discs

For 1: Does anyone have any suggestions for aftermarket seats? Not looking for stock, looking for safe. Need full recline and adjust.

For 2: I have no idea what kind of steering box I have. I attached a picture. With this set up, what is the best way forward with power steering?

For 3: Backburner until I dial in 1 & 2.

Any and all help is much appreciated.
Thanks - B

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Welcome. Looks like you have a shackle reversal suspension lift. I think your steering is a saginaw setup. The box is a little unfamiliar but someone should chime in soon. For the seat frame, check this www.overlandwerks.com , procar makes some affordable reclining seats, others have had decent luck finding seats at the pick n pull. Good luck.

Mastercraft makes some sweet reclining suspension seats. That steering box looks like a gm manual unit. Ditch that and go Saginaw power steering.
I would cut all that thick ass plate off the front too. There is no need for it.

The steering box looks Like it may be a Downey manual steering box conversion... Gets rid of all those links ... Or could be a home brew

He may know if you could do just a box swap to get to power ... I'm not sure... Maybe he can advise

If not he also can provide you the right stuff to go power

@Downey

Thanks for the quick replies!

As for the plates, def ditching those. They were part of a mount for a Hokey winch that was completely shredded.

I cleaned up some grime on the steering box and found a part number - '70 Saginaw manual box. Is the mount for the manual the same for the power unit? If so, it looks like I just have to cut a bigger hole in the frame for the conversion. It has a small block V8 with pump mounts, so it looks like it would be slick.

As for the suspension, the passenger side droops about 1.5". The front driver side has a two shock towers and the passenger side has one. Is this common? How can I fix the droop?

Welcome!

Seats....I installed some Procar Rally seats in mine. If you want to see the install, click > here <.

img_3987-jpg.1268746

The Saginaw power box is larger than the manual one. Yours was not installed with the forthought that someday someone might want to upgrade. You simply don't have enough room.

Which is a good thing. The mount is a POS, and since it won't work, you won't be tempted to keep it. Plenty of vendors on this forum, myself included, offer a beefy mounting plate for the power box.

Before you start down that road, you might want to post up a pic oor two of what you've got attached to yours. You might be needing more than you think.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

...and that home-made relay rod HAS TO GO!

I have smittybilt suspension seats in my '40 - I like them because I adapted the stock bracket (at least the passenger side) to work with the seat. One thing to note when you're buying seats - the seat cushion thickness. Too little and it will both hurt and you'll get constantly ribbed about the driver of the '40 with two hands and hair appearing about the dash. Too much and your head will be in the roof.... another consideration is most performance seats are made pretty narrow. How do I say this delicately? be sure your tail fits before you spend the $200-500 per seat.

@Downey, thanks for the pic. Is it worth going the Sag route or FJ60? I've read hundreds of posts on the pluses/minuses of both, and it looks like I'll prob go the FJ60 conversion since it feels more "Toyota-ish." Also Less work and cutting.

As for the suspension, I'm not sure what kind it is, and if it's f***ed up and needs repair. Here are pics of the driver side and passenger side. Why are there two shock towers on one side and one on the passenger side? Also, with this setup, is there room for an FJ60 PS box?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I guess I'd keep the Trailmaster steering stabilizer shock, but I'd remove the boot from it so that trapped water does not live on the shock (translation=RUST). I would remove the front double shock kit from the drivers side, then throw the "arm pit of all shock absorber" Ranch shocks in the trash, then grab a nice set of Bilstein shocks for the front end (single shocked).

If you RESEARCH the fj60 box conversion, you will find out more about shock relocation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom