7" Round LED Headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Back in the day with 7" LED headlights became a thing for Jeeps and motorcycles, JW Speaker and Trucklite were the big names. That's what you bought unless you wanted cheap Chinese crap off eBay or Alibaba.

There are a lot more options now and I'm curious how many folks are running LED headlights in the rigs. Would love to get pics and feedback and opinions on the various lights being run. I'm getting ready to purchase by end of year and wanted to see what I was possibly missing. I'd never put LED's in my 40-series... the Koito H4's are plenty of upgrade for me there and I want to keep the old-school look. But on my Troopy I feel like the LED won't be so out of place.

Here are the manufacturers, of good repute, that I'm currently aware of.
JW Speaker
TruckLite
KC HiLite
Holley (these seem a very cool option for 40-series folks as they preserve the vintage look)
CityRacer (I love my other stuff from him, but his price point concerns me that they aren't TruckLite quality)
Hella (seem to have an LED 7" headlight in non-NA markets)
VisionX (seems to be what Jonathan Ward is using these days)
Putco (also seems to be used by Ward at times, not a good aesthetic in my opinion)

Any others I'm obviously missing?
Any advice/input from the crowd?

Good list. The only thing to note is that LEDs alone do not produce much heat, which is a good thing normally. Unless you live in a snowy/icy climate, and then your lights might ice over. They do make lights with heated rings to avoid this. Just something to think about when converting.

Good list. The only thing to note is that LEDs alone do not produce much heat, which is a good thing normally. Unless you live in a snowy/icy climate, and then your lights might ice over. They do make lights with heated rings to avoid this. Just something to think about when converting.
Good point. I know that JW Speaker and TruckLite both make units with heated lenses. A little more expense, but worth considering for sub-zero situations.

I talked to a guy that had bought several different ones and he liked these. I bought a set just a few days ago, have not used them yet, so I can't base an opinion on them.

Amazon product ASIN B01B376YOE

I talked to a guy that had bought several different ones and he liked these. I bought a set just a few days ago, have not used them yet, so I can't base an opinion on them.

Amazon product ASIN B01B376YOE
Did they plug right in? H4 plug?

I'm curious about longevity on the Chicom specials. It's a tempting way to try out LED's to see if I even like having them for a headlight.

or you could add these LED bulbs to your Koito H4's, see how they go. supposed to be just as bright as HID's and adjustable base so you can set them correctly. Also thinking about this upgrade.
One thing worth noting... H4 reflector housings are designed to have an omnidirectional light source to properly cast their light in a pattern that is DOT compliant. No LED replacement can truly produce an omnidirectional light source. The housings built for, and around, an LED unidirectional source account for this and produce truly compliant lighting.

This may seem like nit-picking but a lot of things in the right-of-way of our roads and highways are designed based on a specific pattern of light to be cast by headlights. The curse of being an engineer... I probably care about this more than most and anecdotally "close enough" probably truly is close enough.

One thing worth noting... H4 reflector housings are designed to have an omnidirectional light source to properly cast their light in a pattern that is DOT compliant. No LED replacement can truly produce an omnidirectional light source. The housings built for, and around, an LED unidirectional source account for this and produce truly compliant lighting.

This may seem like nit-picking but a lot of things in the right-of-way of our roads and highways are designed based on a specific pattern of light to be cast by headlights. The curse of being an engineer... I probably care about this more than most and anecdotally "close enough" probably truly is close enough.
I totally understand your statement. That's why I mentioned this specific LED because the base rotates so that you can set it correctly, so it shines where it is supposed to shine and not blind oncoming traffic. Check out their web site and the videos they have produced about all sorts of light subjects. They also have tested the Holley "classic" look 7" and have good things to say about em.

Did they plug right in? H4 plug?

I'm curious about longevity on the Chicom specials. It's a tempting way to try out LED's to see if I even like having them for a headlight.

Yes, and they come with a conversion cable for a different plug....

This may seem like nit-picking but a lot of things in the right-of-way of our roads and highways are designed based on a specific pattern of light to be cast by headlights.
My PIAA yellow fog lights have an actual fog light pattern. That stuff is important.

I would also check out Stedi. They are an Australian company, they make a few different lights including a couple 7" round kits. I have the Stedi Iris's on my car and am pleased with the brightness of both high beams and low.

I have the Koito h4 plug in play replacement, really happy with them.

I did it cause I wanted the h4 housing and was going to run LED, but I don't know I want to anymore, these are filling my needs just fine and the cutoff is perfect.

However if I was to, or decide to drop in LED, I will only get the type that have the little metal shroud over the led emmiter,,,

I DO Have plenty of experience running them on the motorcycle, I chose H4 leds from Cyclops, at the time they were one of the only ones with that little shroud, anyway, the pattern was good and light output was great.

Forgive me if it was mentioned in this thread or elsewhere already. Is anyone running Koito H4 p/n HSSB-16-24HP (for those of you 24V folks).

電球交換式ハロゲンヘッドランプユニット | ヘッドランプユニット | その他|製品情報|株式会社小糸製作所|市販製品情報 - https://www-sp-koito-co-jp.translate.goog/product/other/detail.html?pc=C185&cc=other_ct020&_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Koito2.JPG

Koito1.JPG

Forgive me if it was mentioned in this thread or elsewhere already. Is anyone running Koito H4 p/n HSSB-16-24HP (for those of you 24V folks).

i know its not excactly what your asking, but i'm running the 12v version of them, and if it means anything to you, they are properly designed with a cutoff that is perfect and light output is completely adequate. i'm sure the 24v version is excactly the same in those regards.

i know its not excactly what your asking, but i'm running the 12v version of them, and if it means anything to you, they are properly designed with a cutoff that is perfect and light output is completely adequate. i'm sure the 24v version is excactly the same in those regards.
Thank you!

I agree, trying to put an LED lamp in a housing made for incandescent can be frustrating trying to get the splash pattern right, and not blind oncoming drivers. Even when you adjust the bulb by rotating it.

I would just get a higher wattage/brighter whiter bulb that is still incandescent.

If you want to go with LED, then replace the entire housing with a projection LED bulb/housing combo. I did this in my Land Cruiser and have been happy with the results. Proper cutoff, wide splash, and great distance with Hi Beams. The only downside is you need to add a relay as Toyota uses a ground switch for the hi beams. All this info is in my build thread: Builds - 2002 HZJ76 Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2002-hzj76-build.1258634/#post-13961201

Whatever you choose... enjoy! :cheers:

Yeah I am trying to avoid relays or additional wiring. Plus I don’t really like LED

These are what I use and are used widely through out Australia and are considered premium LEDs. Not cheap, but they offer a lifetime warranty if you use their breather kit for water crossing. UNCONDITIONAL guarantee.

I ended up ordering two of the 24V versions from abroad. They don't seem to be available locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom