‘69 Time Capsule

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That dizzy is an engine killer.
 
Ruh roh… tell me more
 
Looks like another sucker like me bought the Man A Fre combo #2, chasing that extra 50 horsepower.

20260913_220417.webp


20260913_220734.webp
 
Made a bit of headway (sorry Broski, it was terribly sporadic and in between other chores/nap times/ etc.

Oil has been changed. Tried firing with starter fluid with no luck, lots to check it was just a final Hail Mary of the evening to start my week off right. Will invite Richard over later this week if he’s free to tinker.

He also noticed the fine condition of the spare key which went right over my head. Kinda neat.

And Mark thank you for the heads up on my hand grenade. That has been added to the “replace” list. Open for suggestions should anybody have one.

Happy Sunday!

Cheers.

IMG_3161.webp


IMG_3171.webp
 
Made a bit of headway (sorry Broski, it was terribly sporadic and in between other chores/nap times/ etc.

Oil has been changed. Tried firing with starter fluid with no luck, lots to check it was just a final Hail Mary of the evening to start my week off right. Will invite Richard over later this week if he’s free to tinker.

He also noticed the fine condition of the spare key which went right over my head. Kinda neat.

And Mark thank you for the heads up on my hand grenade. That has been added to the “replace” list. Open for suggestions should anybody have one.

Happy Sunday!

Cheers.

View attachment 4212823

View attachment 4212824
I have options to offer. Will give you a jingle mid-week.
 
I started to respond to your want ad looking for front disc brake parts. I'll here instead.

Easiest way to go back stock later is just use a early FJ40 disc brake axle. 76/77 will have a coarse spline pinion. A three speed flange would most likely work and bolt to the current driveshaft. You probably have a Birfield axle. If a ball and claw it has a bronze bushing and not a seal requiring machining to add a seal. Would also require clearance on the knuckle for disc brake Birfield even if it has a seal.
 


The only time I met Marv in person was in 1974. Al was up in Idaho and Marv was with Harold in California. Not sure when Harold died and Marv ended up going out on his own. Sure he sold a ton of the Delco distributors prior to 1986. Sure he knew what he was talking about.
 
Did he explain why it was Black Death ?
What the Issue with them ?
 
Back around 1990 bought a used distributor for SOR. I installed it and set the timing. On my test drive I noticed I had no oil pressure. I pulled the distributor and compared it to my original. It was shorter. Mine is a 9/67 which is the month for the changed from F135 to F145. If there is one thing that would may an engine killer would be no oil pressure which depends on the distributor to drive the pump.
 
Back around 1990 bought a used distributor for SOR. I installed it and set the timing. On my test drive I noticed I had no oil pressure. I pulled the distributor and compared it to my original. It was shorter. Mine is a 9/67 which is the month for the changed from F135 to F145. If there is one thing that would may an engine killer would be no oil pressure which depends on the distributor to drive the pump.
Ok this makes sense
If that’s the case and one is getting oil pressure then it shouldn’t be a problem ?
 
Me thinks its not an oiling issue with the dizzy. If it wouldnt pop & spit with starter fluid then probably no spark.
Agreed
But we were talking about a black bomb.

If I was there I would have checked for spark before trying to start it 😉
 
My 72 came with a Delco when I got it in 82. I had to give it a tune up in say 2000 ish. Last year I bought the chinesium one on Amoron for $115 delivered with tax. First thing I put on my old drive gear which is a Toyota gear. Then I had to swap over the O ring - theirs was too fat and I couldn't press the dizzy in. My old Delco cap (brass contacts) with the good spark wires fit nicely so I put it. After a few days (several hundred miles) the chine points arm bent. I put in my old Delco points, rotor and confessor and they fit and run fine. Rig is due for a tune up.

I love the simplicity of straight mechanical advance.
 
Did he explain why it was Black Death ?
What the Issue with them ?

Yes, Click on the link. It directs you to the post along with subsequent posts on the subject. It's short and Mark and Downey chime in on the purpose and history of the problems. After reading it, I would be sourcing a proper proven distributor.
 
@Downey
Jim, I vaguely remember MAF having 2 locations, 1 in CA and the other in Boise ID? going from memory from catalogues I had in the mid 1980's

My mid 1970's catalogs list Idaho as well as California.

I heard the Boise store was basically a friend of theirs selling some stuff out of his living room ???

On the phone with Marv years ago I mentioned going to the Northridge in 1974. He said that was him behind the counter and Al was in Idaho at that time. Thinking this was before I joined Mud. I already knew Marv's connection with Man-A-Fre from another vendor. Think my visit was August or September 1974. My folks lived in Northridge at the time. I visited MAF, Downey (which was in the back of Downey Toyota at the time) and Hicky which was close the coast.
 
I went to the Boise Man-a-fre out on Fairview (likely really Meridian) many times back in the 80's He was really nice and very knowledgeable. I think he died of some sort of cancer and the store never reopened.

I remember he had or knew of a blueprint Toyota I6 that glass full water above the rim would sit on the valve cover at full throttle and not spill.
 
Back
Top Bottom