60 series....Tech and Classifieds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

An 80 series power steering box is a direct swap onto an '86 FJ60 frame. The 80 series boxes seem to be less prone to leaks and are actually rebuildable unlike the 60 series boxes which can only be resealed.
Are 80 series steering gears all the same across the model years, or is there a specific version of the 80 series steering gear to look for to use on 86 FJ60? thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
80 series steering gears all the same across the model years, or is there a specific version of the 80 series steering gear to look for to use on 86 FJ60? thanks for the feedback.
All 80 boxes are the same but you can also just send redhead your box. If it’s out of spec they won’t rebuild it. Period.

and they test everything before it leaves.

I did email them the other day (red-head), before I started to explore what other options there might be... Trying to do too many things in a short period of time....
I think I have an old FJ60 steering gear ...I could do the core on.... to go to an 80 series gear (pending if they are good with that). I'll touch base with them further....which would be good in that my truck would not be deadlined on just moving around.

right now ....i want something good thats going to last...

thanks for the feedback..etc.

rear leaf spring OME suspension mount (rear of rear leaf spring). about 15 years of fun. Showing the inner view of one of the brackets.... where might one look to address this "screw up"....lack of greasing or brackets torqued to tight???/

what comes to mind... ?

Yea its my truck and whatever is going on...its likely I did it. These have been on the truck about 15 years, with same bushings (OME). I broke a zerk fitting and in the process of screwing with that, I noticed the bushings need to be replaced and then I took this apart to find this nice wear pattern. There are also some dark wear patterns on the pins, but i'm not sure thats normal (I simply dont' know).

this is how things look after some clean up.

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

Last edited:
rear leaf spring OME suspension mount (rear of rear leaf spring). about 15 years of fun. Showing the inner view of one of the brackets.... where might one look to address this "screw up"....lack of greasing or brackets torqued to tight???/

what comes to mind... ?

Yea its my truck and whatever is going on...its likely I did it. These have been on the truck about 15 years, with same bushings (OME). I broke a zerk fitting and in the process of screwing with that, I noticed the bushings need to be replaced and then I took this apart to find this nice wear pattern. There are also some dark wear patterns on the pins, but i'm not sure thats normal (I simply dont' know).

this is how things look after some clean up.

View attachment 3304203

View attachment 3304214

Option 1:
Clean the pins
Swap the shackle side plates so that the worn side is facing out
Install new bushings

Option 2:
New Shackles
New Bushings

yeah, thanks for the feedback... I planned on replacing all the bushings, across the truck, and I have new parts (shackle parts) for this item and the front spring hanger of the rear driver side leaf spring, I've not taken the rest of the stuff apart as I was going to work these one by one. I'll post up some pics of the bushings that came off....I saw no wear on the springs themself.

as I take apart the rest of the bushing related brackets etc, I'll look for wear and replace hard parts as necessary.

did not know if this might be considered normal after this long period of time .(the wear)...or the amount of wear on the one side of the bushing and the wear shown on the brackets..

so far I've only looked at this one bracket....

was wondering if anything was evident of me winning any type of dumb@$$ award on something I've done or not done.....I would rather learn from it, than repeat it.

Been a long time but I think I followed all the instructions I had etc...when the suspension was installed (all OME stuff).

Last edited:
notice the shoulder on the rh side bushing.... I got these pics later last night....anyway...

seems like significant wear on the bushings in the leaf spring ....more so than on the mount side. But not clearly shown in the pic, the top bushing rh shoulder is partially damaged or worn....these are 15 years of wear...all though I dont'drive this truck much, its been on a few rock trails, such that a 60 can do...

I did not see wear on the spring itself.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

pics showing rear of rear spring (driver side)...

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

another post , looking for the smart way vs. the "dumb @**" move

I'm playing hell in trying to get this front part of the driver leaf spring oriented right where I can seat the main pin correctly (given that round surface on the back of bracket that seats into the OEM bracket from the frame. YOu can see the round part I'm talking about in the 2nd and 3rd pics.

What I've done so far.

Driver side rear leaf spring. Took the old bushings from the rear part of the leaf and swapped that out, leaving the bolts loose, then took the front of the leaf loose and replaced bushing but have been playing hell trying to get the pin oriented correctly so it will seat ...correctly, hard to see in the pic, but I'm about (1st pic) a few mm of getting it to seat but no matter what I do....I can't get the orientation right.

(1) does it make sense to get the front of the leaf spring setup and seated before dealing with teh rear of the leaf spring ?

(2) is there any logic on going to the passenger side and getting the bolts loose there , in the hope of gettign some more flex in general.

right now, the passenger side is tight (i've not started on replacement there), ubolts are tight...I did not see a reason to screw with them.

I guess I'm doing something dumb or steps in approach are flawed.

Suggestions on approach?

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

Last edited:
Assuming that my experience with my 40s and 70s are applicible to a 60, I have few questions
  • Did you confirm that hole in the spring hanger matched the diameter of the pin shoulder? i.e., dry fit without the spring eye in the perch
  • Is the spring bolted to the axle? i.e., the u-bolts are not in place and the axle is supported (this should allow play/movement to get the spring pin installed)
  • Is the spring perch bent in any? i.e., I have found my spring perches bent ever so slightly by odd rocks, which has necessitated opening the mouth of the perch so the shoulder bottoms out before the pin/bushings bottom out.

Good luck

Assuming that my experience with my 40s and 70s are applicible to a 60, I have few questions
  • Did you confirm that hole in the spring hanger matched the diameter of the pin shoulder? i.e., dry fit without the spring eye in the perch
  • Is the spring bolted to the axle? i.e., the u-bolts are not in place and the axle is supported (this should allow play/movement to get the spring pin installed)
  • Is the spring perch bent in any? i.e., I have found my spring perches bent ever so slightly by odd rocks, which has necessitated opening the mouth of the perch so the shoulder bottoms out before the pin/bushings bottom out.

Good luck

replacing parts (pins etc & bushings) exactly what was there before , so no known parts issues.

I'm just replacing the bushings and bolt / pin hardware, axle is bolted to the leaf springs , I did not remove or loosen the u bolts. If I'm forced to deal with the u bolts, then I will, was hoping that was not required. Agree that would make things easier, at least in part.

I don't think the perch is bent, hard to say..nothing obvious to me... I'm real close to getting it to seat properly but the last few mm have been a challenge. I'll see if I can tell if there is any bend....

I figured I might have created my own challenge.....should the front leaf spring pin go in first and then deal with the rear leaf spring mount 2nd , I did the opposite, I started on the rear leaf spring pin / bushing and now dealing with the front leaf spring pin/bushing (rear driver side leaf spring ).

I'm going to screw around with it some this weekend as the temps appear to be dropping some.

thanks for the feedback....I'm going to screw around with that over the weekend, and approach it as suggested.

Any one have some stock rear 60 springs laying around?

Any one have some stock rear 60 springs laying around?
I might have a set under a piece of yard art, but I will have to check.

I might have a set under a piece of yard art, but I will have to check.
Sweet. if they are not too crusty and you drag them to SCC?

Local guy. Paid $21,000. Decided it’s not his thing.

Has some C channel rust and some in the rear inner fenders.

Nice truck overall.

Mark

+1 (601) 918-1099

IMG_5168.jpeg

IMG_5169.jpeg

IMG_5170.jpeg

IMG_5173.jpeg

IMG_5174.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom