54mm Spindle/Axle/Hub Nut Socket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
None of my local auto parts stores (Advance, Napa, Sears, even Tractor Supply) stock the honkin' 54mm socket we need to disassemble the spindle/axle/hub nut and even with the sweet deal we get from Dan/Onur the OEM tool is a little spendy.

Brian (waskillywabbit) over at WabFab has the 54mm socket in a 3/8" drive no less for $15 with free ground shipping. I almost bought two! More of an early 4Runner/Tacoma guy, he does have some pretty cool slider/Hi-Lift adapter products [none of which I have any need for, unfortunately].

Just thought I'd share the love: WabFab 54mm Spindle Socket

None of my local auto parts stores (Advance, Napa, Sears, even Tractor Supply) stock the honkin' 54mm socket we need to disassemble the spindle/axle/hub nut and even with the sweet deal we get from Dan/Onur the OEM tool is a little spendy.

Brian (waskillywabbit) over at WabFab has the 54mm socket in a 3/8" drive no less for $15 with free ground shipping. I almost bought two! More of an early 4Runner/Tacoma guy, he does have some pretty cool slider/Hi-Lift adapter products [none of which I have any need for, unfortunately].

Just thought I'd share the love: WabFab 54mm Spindle Socket

Wow, thanks for that link.
Great deal, just ordered one. :cheers:

FYI 54mm crosses over to 2-1/8" which is readily available in 3/4" drive at our local Sears store (Craftsman). I use a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter allowing the socket to be used with the more convenient 1/2" ratchet handle size and it works great.

I also have one similar to the OP's aforementioned/linked socket tool and it works OK but not as well as the much thicker walled Craftsman socket. Both are in the tool drawer...but I always reach for the Craftsman socket.

FWIW.

Last edited:
I got one at NAPA that they called 55mm on the label, but it also says says "for Toyota 4x4". It fits perfectly. Don't let the label fool you. It works much better than the cheesey 54 mm one that I got from a landcruiser vendor who will remain unnamed, but has the initials MAF.

FYI 54mm crosses over to 2-1/8" which is readily available in 3/4" drive at our local Sears store (Craftsman).

I also have one similar to the OP's aforementioned/linked socket tool and it works OK but not as well as the much thicker walled Craftsman socket. Both are in the tool drawer...but I always reach for the Craftsman socket.

FWIW.
Mine came from amazon.com...it's numbered "6612 54mm". Fit is perfect. I can take it to 100 ft.-lb. with no slippage or weirdness. NAPA should be able to get you a similar tool, 6612 is a common OTC part number. Should be < $20.

I agree on the hd socket if I need it.

Steve

I picked up mine from Northern Tool. $13, for those of us fortunate enough to have one in our area.

FYI 54mm crosses over to 2-1/8" which is readily available in 3/4" drive at our local Sears store (Craftsman). I use a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter allowing the socket to be used with the more convenient 1/2" ratchet handle size and it works great.

FWIW.

I do the same. The 1/2" to 3/4" adapter comes in handy for a number of other applications. Like using my 1/2" torque wrench with 3/4" sockets.

I've also used a screwdriver and hammer.:eek:

You can buy an entire gargantuan socket set from Harbor Freight for ~$25 when they're on sale. Dunno if they'll work since I have a 2 1/8" from NAPA and an aftermarket hub socket from a group buy. I have the HF set, but never tried it.

FWIW.

Gotcha.
Was never sure if a regular socket would fit in the hub.
Makes sense just to buy a regular socket then.

got mine off one of the tool trucks for a bit under $20 I think, which come to think of it sounds oddly inexpensive for those guys. Forgot the details.
(oh, and yes, the fit is tight in the hub, better check the thickness. Lotsa discussion on that here.)

Last edited:
I too have a 2 1/8" I bought off ebay, 8.00 w free shipping and a variety set of impact adapters for another 12.00.

I did a quick search .. only in 3/4 .. though I will need to go with the adapter route ..

I had one from MAF and it works .. but I'm looking for a tight fit ( MAF one and many others design are bit lousy .? and you need to keep reasonable amount of pressure against the nut in order to tight it )

Northern tool had them for something like $8 a couple years ago. I picked up all the sizes. They have 3/4 drives but a few adapters an all was good. Just be aware that these type sockets are not deep enough to work on the long FJ40 birfs from 75-77 They are just a hair to short.

Toyota also has one that you can buy. It was around $25, 1/2 drive and great quality. I can dig mine out for the part number if anyone wants one.

Toyota also has one that you can buy. It was around $25, 1/2 drive and great quality. I can dig mine out for the part number if anyone wants one.

OTC/Kent Moore/SPX makes the Toyota SST's. The older version is OTC 7612 the newer OTC 6612 not sure which is being supplied to Toyota now? I have had both and prefer the Trail Gear socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom