$5,000 to spend on drivetrain upgrades. Ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry, wasn't criticizing you......was bitchin about me not being ABLE to put that into mine............

I am happy with mine as it is. Mine's a DD and I would LOVE it to be perfect, it's just not in MY deck of cards.

I'm happy to hear about what you are doing. Keep making it better!
It's my bad. I re-read how I responded - I was a dick.

I love these type of threads! :popcorn:

What is this "Valve body upgrade for transmission" upgrade you speak of?
Wholesale automatics of Australia offer upgraded valve bodies that offer better shifting and cooling etc... supposed to make a world of difference in the A440f and A442F

If your gunna use that 12k winch on the rear make it portable/removable. Otherwise it becomes a HUGE anchor back there. I have an older Slee rear bumper and I often wise I had more clearance like lots of the newer bumpers. I can't imagine wheeling with the extra clearance that winch would require if hard mounted?

Leave the vehicle the way it is and drive it to Vegas. Use the rest of the cash to get yourself a really fancy hooker and some drugs.

Y'know, if you are having trouble coming up with something reasonable to spend it on.

Last edited:
For the past couple years I set a budget of $5,000 I can spend on upgrades or modifications for the Cruiser. This summer I want to spend it on the drivetrain.
The only upgrades I have done so for are;
- OME Lift
- Chrome-Moly Birfs
- Part-time conversion
Everything else is stock under the cruiser.
Curious what the experts would spend $5,000 on.
supercharger all the difference in the world

For the past couple years I set a budget of $5,000 I can spend on upgrades or modifications for the Cruiser. This summer I want to spend it on the drivetrain.
The only upgrades I have done so for are;
- OME Lift
- Chrome-Moly Birfs
- Part-time conversion
Everything else is stock under the cruiser.
Curious what the experts would spend $5,000 on.
Harrop Eaton ELockers (@wardharris), if not already locked. If your rig came with ABS from the factory, ditch the part-time because (my understanding is that) by going part time you have inactivated the ABS , Which is a safety feature. That could cost you big-time in the event of an accident where braking was a factor-as in seeing your insurance company completely disown you and deny all claims. Civil suit would certainly be possible, and perhaps even criminal prosecution if the accident were bad enough. In any event, you would likely become uninsurable. :-(

Last edited:
Full float rear
Upgraded brakes for front and rear
Hydroboost mod
Stainless extended Brake lines
Valve body upgrade for transmission
Factory E-lockers or selectable lockers of choice
Chromoly rears if you wheel a lot.
U-joints all around
Factory Suspension bushings
Regear the axles.

Or
Buy the diesel adapters swap kit this year and by next year you may have all the parts.
Then next year can be a Cummins...or wait for the OM606 Adapter.
What year is he? Hydroboost incompatible with ABS. Though if already inactivated by going part time, well…

You pull thirds and send them with gears and lockers to Zuk (Ken) @gearinstalls.com Contact him for a quote...don't mess around...send them to Zuk!
LOCKER / GEAR COMMENTS :bounce::bounce2:

Ignore my Harrop link below - this is an endorsement, not a sales pitch. :)

Ken Francisco (Zuk) at @gearinstalls.com is a great resource - he can get you what you need, set up your gears/diffs and even help get them installed if you are up for a road trip to Phoenix.

More importantly, he has probably set up more diffs than anyone else I know and is an awesome resource for ADVICE. Shoot him a PM before you do anything. He has helped many of our customers and I/we/they have great trust in him.

upload_2017-4-23_8-20-16.png

LOCKER / GEAR COMMENTS :bounce::bounce2:

Ignore my Harrop link below - this is an endorsement, not a sales pitch. :)

Ken Francisco (Zuk) at @gearinstalls.com is a great resource - he can get you what you need, set up your gears/diffs and even help get them installed if you are up for a road trip to Phoenix.

More importantly, he has probably set up more diffs than anyone else I know and is an awesome resource for ADVICE. Shoot him a PM before you do anything. He has helped many of our customers and I/we/they have great trust in him.

View attachment 1446373
Zuk da man. And of course get your lockers from da other man--Ward...

I'd save 3 years put a 6BT and be happy

What's your intended usage? Is it a mall crawler or are you expecting it to perform a specific way in specific environments? That gets to the main question, where are you taking it, how are you using it, and have you experienced any shortcomings?

Logic would dictate that you experience how your rig handles and what you wish could be different first, before dumping money into it for something you may not even need.

Honestly, 2" lift and 35's is super capable if you have behind the wheel experience driving it, and I wouldn't mess with gearing at that tire size. If you're not messing with gearing, just have a rear locker installed and see if you can get yourself stuck before adding a front.

Sliders and skid plates would be the top on my list. I'd hate to beat up body work just before your paint and body phase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom