$5,000 to spend on drivetrain upgrades. Ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You ask us all these questions this morning, when you already have $5000 worth of mods in the works? Why bother asking? Just confirming your decisions?

I put $6000 in my truck to begin with on my budget, but not $5000 PER YEAR! Hell,my maintenance alone for all my cars averages about $1000 per vehicle per year, NOT including fuel.

Good Luck!

Wish I could throe $5000 per year into my LC.......It would be a LOT nicer by now! I'd have over $20,000 in it!

I'm confused. You are correct - I already have $5,000 spent or in the works. But that is from 2016 budget. Just hasn't been installed yet. I bothered asking because I wanted advice on what to do this this year. There are many people that put way more than $15,000 or $20,000 into their rigs to build what they want. I heard of a guy who has nearly $40,000 into his. You sound like you think it is wrong for me to set a yearly budget? Nobody said you have to spend $5000 PER YEAR on your rig. I work hard at my job and provide a great life for my beautiful family. I can set my budget at any amount I want. Thanks for your opinion - very helpful

It might sound retarded to you. But to me, this is a hobby and something I enjoy. It is a budget of $5K. I don't have to spend every penny to wast money. I simply set a budget of how much i am willing to invest into my cruiser.
Fair enough. Develop a plan of action though and figure out what your goals are. Spending money just to spend money rarely works out. What issues are you currently having with your drivetrain? What is holding you back the most? Tackle those issues first then go from there. I'm sure we'd all love to spend your money for you but we need a clearer picture.

Dude, install the goods you have & see what happens.

Then worry about how the next $5K is spent. You might chase a driveline vibe or who knows what.

I can buy a $600 reverse bucket for my jet boat, but I need a $700 linkage to make it work right & hold when in reverse. If I bought the bucket & didn't know that I'd probably buy some other thing (as boats often demand), just to find my new bucket coming off until I could afford linkage. Just saying,

Dude, install the goods you have & see what happens.

Then worry about how the next $5K is spent. You might chase a driveline vibe or who knows what.

I can buy a $600 reverse bucket for my jet boat, but I need a $700 linkage to make it work right & hold when in reverse. If I bought the bucket & didn't know that I'd probably buy some other thing (as boats often demand), just to find my new bucket coming off until I could afford linkage. Just saying,
I get what you are saying, and agree 100%.

- Phase 1 = Lift - 35" tires - Part time conversion - bumpers and winch. (Everything is complete except for the install of the bumpers. Have driven with the lift - tires and conversion for one year. Everything works well and no additional issues to solve.) Now I am ready to move to phase 2 for 2017.

- Phase 2 = beefing up drivetrain, axles, transfer, gears.

My goal for this thread is to determine what people would recommend for improving the components under the cruiser.

Harrop/Eaton E-lockers, low range t-case gears, and 4.88...:steer:

Gears/lockers would be my first priority, I have 4.88s and air lockers sitting on one of my workbenches waiting to go in mine. Transfer case gears could be nice but that depends on use as far as if they're a worthwhile improvement. A floater rear from an FZJ80 would get you better rear brakes and a little more robust axle.

Lots of good advice. Thanks for the input.
Sounds like selectable lockers and 4.88 gears are the way most would go to start.

- 4.88 Gears = $450 - $500
- ARB Air Lockers = $2,000 - $2,200
I'm guessing labor will be an additional $1,000 - $1,500. (Does this sound in the ballpark for labor?)

Total = $3,450 - $4,200

Lots of good advice. Thanks for the input.
Sounds like selectable lockers and 4.88 gears are the way most would go to start.

- 4.88 Gears = $450 - $500
- ARB Air Lockers = $2,000 - $2,200
I'm guessing labor will be an additional $1,000 - $1,500. (Does this sound in the ballpark for labor?)

Total = $3,450 - $4,200
You pull thirds and send them with gears and lockers to Zuk (Ken) @gearinstalls.com Contact him for a quote...don't mess around...send them to Zuk!

You're going to be completely rebuilding your front axle too, so factor all that in. Might be a good time to rebuild the rear while you're at it...those gaskets, seals, bearings, misc. add up. You can see some of Ken's work on my Harrop locker in this thread Oh yes I did! Harrop/Eaton E-Locker thread Zuk is very reasonably priced and comes with the highest of recommendation from many on Mud.

There is some info and opinions in the thread titled something like...
"If I had to do it all over again I would..."
Has some long term thoughts on the mods people have done.

Thanks everyone. I decided that gears & lockers are probably the best plan for 2017. This would also leave $500-$1000 available for any unexpected cost. LINUS and EWILLS have a good point. It is easy to underestimate the total cost when planning a project. The cost of unexpected items can add up fast.

Having gone from 80 to 100 and planning back to 80 again. 2UZ-FE is first on my list. It will bolt on to the later 80, more power and torque so you can skip regears, spend the rest of the money on road trips since it will be a joy to have those power going where you wanted.

Saw that Cruiser Outfitters offers complete ready to install third-members.
- Core Differential Housing - $250
- Ring & Pinion install kit - $129.75
- 4.88 Ring & Pinion - $205.50
- Ring Gear Bolt & Nut kit = $45
- Pinion Flange = $42.50
- ARB Air Locker = $940.50
- Install & Setup = $195
- Shipping - $76
Total - $1,883.25

Looks like the complete third-member with ARB lockers are only available for the rear axle.

Full float rear with Kurt's upgrades? (Cruiser Outfitters). That's where I
d put my money. The 100 engine in the 80, that would be three or four years of a $5000 a year budget. @Luke111 did his through Slee I believe. Solid ride, I believe he is getting into the 100 scene though.

Gears, lockers, sliders and stout skid plates would compliment your coming bumpers and winches.
17.5 winch???

Gears, lockers, sliders and stout skid plates would compliment your coming bumpers and winches.
17.5 winch???
4 Wheel Parts had a sale on the Smittybilt X20 17,500 winch. It was only about $100 more than the 12K and I have more than enough room on the bumper.

I'm confused. You are correct - I already have $5,000 spent or in the works. But that is from 2016 budget. Just hasn't been installed yet. I bothered asking because I wanted advice on what to do this this year. There are many people that put way more than $15,000 or $20,000 into their rigs to build what they want. I heard of a guy who has nearly $40,000 into his. You sound like you think it is wrong for me to set a yearly budget? Nobody said you have to spend $5000 PER YEAR on your rig. I work hard at my job and provide a great life for my beautiful family. I can set my budget at any amount I want. Thanks for your opinion - very helpful

Sorry, wasn't criticizing you......was bitchin about me not being ABLE to put that into mine............

I am happy with mine as it is. Mine's a DD and I would LOVE it to be perfect, it's just not in MY deck of cards.

I'm happy to hear about what you are doing. Keep making it better!

The cost of drive train upgrades is only going to be justified & appreciated by you. Probably best not tell anyone how much $$$$ was spent!
I have smittybilt winch on my 100 and have been greatly disappointed, when I can a Warn will replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom