Builds 40 Guy Builds a 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am digging the new LED headligts. I wish I had gone straight from the HIR Phillips to these as I can't remember them exactly. They only lasted 1.5 year or so... and they doubled in price so I went with the LEDs. So far, so good. They aren't lacking, they have good light output, good beam pattern and a great color around 5-6K
Thx! I will give them a try

Finally found a good spot for my trauma kit. I wanted fast access, secure mounting where it couldn’t pop out and I wanted it somewhat discreet.

I did add a first aid kit decal on three sides for quick ID in a high stress situation.

It is surprisingly secure and easy to access. I’ve had it on for two months and driven a ton of miles both on and off road.
976D6A7D-58E1-415D-AA34-91D25E476C72.jpeg

Nice spot...
E48381D6-C5B2-467D-B7E9-2DA8B64B16E2.jpeg

I was finally able to start getting after some of the preventative maintenance I’ve been putting off. I’ve been throwing a P0170 code off and on for a little while now.

So today I decided to crank out a few things that I know needed addressing. Mainly replacing a cracked vacuum line off the intake, a new PCV valve and grommet. I also decided to get after it with a new set of valve cover gaskets as I was starting to develop a little bit of a leak.

I’m gonna pop in a new fuel pump this week when the part comes in, and I went ahead and put in a new fuel filter. If those things don’t take care of the code my last resort is to replace the upstream bank 1 02 sensor.

Cracked vacuum hose...
434C39B7-5275-444B-993F-067DAA2964E1.jpeg

Out with the old and in with the new. I’m Going to open the filter up to take a look inside and see the condition of the old filter.
4C585ACC-E907-4906-B9CC-2D18345505B6.jpeg

Know if you’ve ever wondered why a Toyota fuel filter costs over $30 it’s because it comes with all the brackets and rubber grommets. Honestly I appreciate these details that Toyota goes through to get us good products that last.

6E474DC0-0400-45FA-87D9-7F06287E0C3B.jpeg

Pulling the valve covers was not that hard just a little bit time consuming, I picked up a Fel-Pro gasket kit as the Toyota parts were wildly expensive by comparison in the Fel-Pro gaskets of always serve me well in the past.

Once on the bench it was time to clean it up.
742DE03A-EDB0-4ADA-BBA4-FC99EFEC2677.jpeg

Everything looks
7D181996-A085-4A7A-89C9-62B0AFE0712F.jpeg

The kit comes with new gaskets for the spark plug seals, just bend the tabs and drive the old ones out, all of mine crumbled so I was glad I went in and added the new ones.
BA0A6B0D-9E59-410B-B304-CC1629C96388.jpeg

And added a new OEM PCV valve and grommet. One thing to note if you lose the grommet inside the valve cover on a replacement Toyota has captured the backside to where the rubber pieces cannot fall into the cylinder head. There’s a separate compartment at the PCV valve draws air from and the rubber grommet cannot fall into the motor even if it’s crumbling into pieces.
D4321E49-1AAA-4F27-91DE-641DFC99C0E0.jpeg

The fit of the Fel-pro gasket is awesome and fit perfectly.
3046EADF-95A7-4053-BB10-4932F77F3F56.jpeg

Hopefully you resolve the p0170 code and also hopefully the feltpro serves you well.
I am dealing with the same code and felt pro gasket leaked right away.

Following with interest

Hopefully you resolve the p0170 code and also hopefully the feltpro serves you well.
I am dealing with the same code and felt pro gasket leaked right away.

Following with interest

Bummer that’s not what I like to hear. I’ve had good luck in the past with them but not on a 100 series yet.

Had some time to replace my new fuel pump. I bought a new Denso unit which is the OEM replacement. I grabbed mine on Amazon... this one
100 series fuel pump

the kit was REALLY complete with the pre-filter screen, hose and new clamps. That’s all I needed.

Thank you Mr. Toyota for the access hole under the seat. Getting everything removed is the hardest part of this job, otherwise it’s just as easy as swapping a few parts and not blowing everything up!
DDBE8EF1-2530-44FB-9790-B3FC24B5EADD.jpeg

After 20 years mine was dirty...
9DD39788-2B8A-46CD-B50B-86CC28C1D0A3.jpeg

I used some compressed air and cleaned it all up before unplugging and unscrewing things
155B1F85-A368-4C2D-9819-62B039F3D7DF.jpeg

Remember to pull EFI Relay and turn the engine over for about 10 seconds or so to release the pressure from the line. Otherwise you’ll want some safety glasses before removing the hoses. It’s a good idea to pull the negative battery cable. Then pull the old unit out.
DDD9256F-09D0-441B-8467-39B832371C44.jpeg

My prefilter screen was looking well loved...
084C366F-ADB4-456D-9086-46D4B52F5C03.jpeg

This is all the parts that need replacing... the pump, screen and the short section of fuel line and it’s two clamps.
98F20DE7-97EA-4A97-A920-89E238E7424B.jpeg

All parts replaced and ready to reinstall.
C01F47F9-0DF9-42DE-A9D7-B8E91006A087.jpeg

All in all this is a :banana: :banana: job at most only because you could blow yourself up. Getting the rear seats in and out are the hardest parts to the job.

So far my sputtering and hesitation is gone but I still may need to swap out an O2 sensor or two.

Other than the code, what were the symptoms that led you to the fuel pump? I have noticed that mine is kicking/sputtering on dips and certain uphills. It’s not terrible but noticeable. I just went on a 1,000 trip and noticed it any time the road changed up or down quickly. So big dips or the start of a large hill that appears quickly and not gradual. I am wondering if it is a fuel pump issue or trash/crud in tank? My fuel filter is pretty new.

I had hesitation at times and a stumbling that didn’t go away with more gas. It was sporadic at best, first I experienced it every few months, then every few weeks then nearly daily for only a few moments of the whole days driving. I drive about 20-30 on average a day.

One more data point I could really hear the old fuel pump when I turned the car on before starting. The new pump is absolutely silent. I actually thought I wired it up wrong it was quiet. I have no idea if that was the sound of the pump failing or struggling but it is what it is.

@REZARF I see under recommended items purchased with the pump is a Denso fuel pump tank seal. Did you order that too or feel that you needed/should replace on a 20 year old truck?

Mine looked good, I cleaned it up with a quick wipe and looked it over but mine seemed solid with no cracks. I reused mine.

Enjoying the wilds of Costco.
D82DD861-D624-46FC-ADE8-A386B51684BE.jpeg

Finally got around of creating a punchlist for everything that needed to get done on the cruise or before the wheeling season kicks off here in a few months. There’s so many things still to do, building truck seems like a never ending journey. However, I suppose like many of you I enjoy the journey as much is the destination.

One of the bigger items to tackle was to finally get my Blue Sea ML-ACR finally fully up and running with the remote switch. So much wiring and I can’t not be OCD about it. Anyhow, I got it knocked out today and it’s gonna be nice to let it do it’s thing automatically without my input under the hood.

I ran separate wires through the firewall and over to the Aux battery fuse panel and to the unit...
1E2166CD-A6CA-4BEB-A06A-0417FCFA3CF4.jpeg

Finally more than just posing... a fully functional switch. And the auto feature!
90F7027B-D3E7-4F6D-B222-24364EA322FB.jpeg

I love wiring... but it’s got to be done 100% correctly. Splicing the unit to the new harness between the switch and fuse block.
71B492A6-2B0F-4320-A1EF-C4A811AC983F.jpeg

@REZARF I'm getting ready to wire my roof rack mounted light bar and was eagerly reading your thread to see how you did it. I may have missed it but I did not see where you described how you ran your wires. Would you mind telling me how you routed your wires? Your work is top notch and I expect that you have found a very good way to accomplish this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom