3 Iinch lift questions.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey, you are gonna get every bit of advice from stay with stock..... big tires are over rated to..... go 44s & cut as needed.... the biggest bang for the buck right now for dual rate coils that can take the longer 28" shocks is a 2.5" Tapered coils by Dobinson. $325 a pair. Get the 6" fronts shocks (1.5" BS) & 4" (2"BS) rear shocks $125 per. Another great shock that takes less bump stop spacing than the Dobinson shocks is the Icon 56511 (.5"BS) & 56512 (1.25"BS) $159 per

I have coils that are very similar dual rate coils to the Dobinson Tapered called Slinky but they cost a lot more... very good coils but spendy.

By the way I run 3" suspension with 37s stock drive lines, stock control arms, stock pan hards, stock brake lines.... I do have a body lift without issues just have to readjust shifter linkage. Body lift is not need to run 37s... heck nowdays they run 40s on a 3" lift... but ya gotta cut dim fenders out.

Here are some links

Compiled 80 series suspension component spec thread... shocks, coils & more.
Great info i really appreciate it, Nd now that you mention it, for the 37's did you regear yor 80? And if so i am planning to go to 5.29 sinze i want some 37's but if i get a deal i will be getting 40's haha

I have a build thread link in my signature...
I have stock 410 gears but have Marlin Tcase gears. This set up works surprisingly well. 529s are on my wish list, not needs at this time... family 1st.

I would not do 40s on a 2K budget. 40s will need crome axle shafts plus many other things.

I have a build thread link in my signature...
I have stock 410 gears but have Marlin Tcase gears. This set up works surprisingly well. 529s are on my wish list, not needs at this time... family 1st.

I would not do 40s on a 2K budget. 40s will need crome axle shafts plus many other things.
The need to upgrade shafts is mostly based upon the current birfield condition and how it’s driven.

The need to upgrade shafts is mostly based upon the current birfield condition and how it’s driven.
Ok, Steve is correct... you can run 40s on stock front axle if you Mall Crawl:steer:

Yeah i think i will have to upgrade my front axle because i can hear it howling when cruising on the road i am pretty sure it is just a bearing but will have to check it this weekend i'll probbably start tearing it apart i'll post some pics if you guns want to see the progress

Yeah i think i will have to upgrade my front axle because i can hear it howling when cruising on the road i am pretty sure it is just a bearing but will have to check it this weekend i'll probbably start tearing it apart i'll post some pics if you guns want to see the progress
One thing is for sure, we like visual aids around here even if we have already done that a hundred times.

The 80 series has a noisy drive train, so what you are hearing may be normal especially from the transfer case.

By all means, if your budget allows for large tires, it probably allows for a set of RCV front axle shafts. That’s exactly what I did when I stepped up to 37’s.

Like everyone else, your budget has already been breached. It’s a common disease among the crowd your running with now, don’t sweat it but understand, the only cure is quiting cold turkey. :flipoff2:

One thing is for sure, we like visual aids around here even if we have already done that a hundred times.

The 80 series has a noisy drive train, so what you are hearing may be normal especially from the transfer case.

By all means, if your budget allows for large tires, it probably allows for a set of RCV front axle shafts. That’s exactly what I did when I stepped up to 37’s.

Like everyone else, your budget has already been breached. It’s a common disease among the crowd your running with now, don’t sweat it but understand, the only cure is quiting cold turkey. :flipoff2:
Hahaha yeah i guess i'll have to work on my budget first, any tips with the wife?:bang:

Hahaha yeah i guess i'll have to work on my budget first, any tips with the wife?:bang:
My wife is into it because she loves going the places I can take her in my 80 so I have no challenge there. We have no kids at home so I don’t have that expense to deal with anymore either which helps greatly.

Upgrade as needed. If you break something on your rig, you can use that as leverage and justification for better parts. That’s all I’ve got on that.

Last edited:
That is what separate bank accounts are for dude!!!! If she asks how much something cost, just divide the real cost by 10...$3000 Slee rear bumper for $300..bargain shopper!

So many opinions and options I'm finding out... Not sure what I should do anymore. Was planning a 3" lift with 35's but really didn't wanna mess with all the geometry and drivelines, ect ect. Figured I was safe with 3". But?

So many opinions and options I'm finding out... Not sure what I should do anymore. Was planning a 3" lift with 35's but really didn't wanna mess with all the geometry and drivelines, ect ect. Figured I was safe with 3". But?

3" is good. Run 35's without issue, or if you get the bug to go 37's add 1" spacers or trim as needed. 37's you will want 5.29 gears. It gets $pendy.

3" with 35's will take you a lot of places.

3" is good. Run 35's without issue, or if you get the bug to go 37's add 1" spacers or trim as needed. 37's you will want 5.29 gears. It gets $pendy.

3" with 35's will take you a lot of places.

would there be much real difference between where this setup, vs a good 2" lift with 285/75/16s could go?

would there be much real difference between where this setup, vs a good 2" lift with 285/75/16s could go?
What kind of wheeling do you do? In 90% of the real world situations out there, you won't see a difference. But, if you're like me, you seek out that last 10% of situations because crawling your rig on bigger rocks is fun. In my opinion, the 3" lift with 315s is my Goldilocks zone. You can do a simple lift, not cut your fenders and run a really flexy setup. On a 2", I dragged my belly on rocks a lot. A 4" required a DC driveshaft and my wife couldn't get in. The 3" is just right for me.

@Lumpskie is spot on.

I am at stock height on 33's and I go everywhere the guys with 35's and lifted go. However I drag myself over a lot of things where with 35's and lifted it would be a lot more tidy.

The temptation for 37s is real. Do I really need them? Of course not, but it looks f*cking sweet as hell and would make life easier from time to time.

In a lot of older threads I've been reading, many say that 37s stretch the limit of the 80 series drivetrain. I realize this topic (at least at one point) was pretty :deadhorse:, but what are the current thoughts on the longevity of 37s with a relatively stock drivetrain...no chromoly shafts, etc.

This question is seriously getting old. Look at the faq’s sticky.

We all had to research, take your lazy fingers and search.

If you are just off-roading, 33" will likely be fine. Lots of guys here on the east coast run 2-2.5" lifts with 35" tires and they are VERY capable. I wheeled with them on 33" tires with bumpers, sliders and skid plates and I can mostly go where they go, but I dragged on things they just drove over.

Now, I'm running 37" tires on a 3" Dobi flexi springs and log travel shock lift with all supporting hardware and 1" body lift. No rubbing, no trimming so far. Time will tell as the springs loosen up and flex a bit more. Minor vibes in driveline, but not enough for me to want a DC shaft yet. That being said, $2k will NOT get you there. I can say that now I can hang with the others in my group and we can all move to more difficult trails and wheeling is much more fun. Now I would say the largest limit on my truck's ability is me being able to drive it properly.

Stock 28s and stock suspension
00Q0Q_ffbT1g1Dez0_1200x900.jpg

33s on stock springs and shocks
20171124_152017.jpg

With the Dobi 3" kit and log travel shocks
DSC_0327.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom