3.4L V6 DOHC 24 valve in a 40 has anyone ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello,

It is possible.

There are not many details out there but this swap has been done.

This is a picture from a Bandeirante.

VZJ50.jpg

Sorry, no details about the build.

EDIT: Another picture from a 40 Series.

Land Cruiser 50 - OJ50 3.jpg

I understand this is a common conversion in Bandeirantes. It should be doable in a 40 Series.

Matching this engine with a 40 Series transmission and transfer case may be tricky.

Juan

Last edited:
I have one waiting to go in my 40 project. The only thing holding me back from fully committing to it over a 1uz is if I will be revving the crap out of it.

I believe there is a yellow 40 with a 5vz swap somewhere on this site.

IMO, the 3.4 is a torqueless wonder. I drove a 3rd gen 5 speed 4Runner with that engine for 17 years.

Great engine, but not for a heavy FJ40.

I had a 4 door tacoma with a supercharged 3.4. I loved it.

There was a guy named John in my neighborhood years ago that had a supercharged 3.4 with a manual transmission in a 45. It was a long time ago and that is all I remember. It was a cool rig.

If you add the supercharger It should be plenty of power and torque for a 40. For what it would cost, you could do a number other swaps for less though.

IMO, the 3.4 is a torqueless wonder. I drove a 3rd gen 5 speed 4Runner with that engine for 17 years.

Great engine, but not for a heavy FJ40.
I agree with this sentiment. Reliable- yes. Powerful- no. Drove a t100 for 15 years. Loved the truck. But power was never its strong suit. Just checked and the 3.4 t100 came in at 4000#. My topless, modified 40 tips the scales at 4500#.
Supercharger sure would be neat, but it’d have to be free to go down that road.
Just my opinion. To each their own.

My 2000 Tacoma that I've owned for the past 18 years has a V6 and it's been a great motor all around. Bed loaded and pulling a heavy trailer has never been a problem. When I go off road with it I don't find it lacking in the least. I would love to drive a 40 with one in it just for a means of comparison.

As much as I like, my 5VZ-powered '95 Taco, I don't really find it any more real world driveable than my '03 taco which has the 2.7l I4.
Both are 5 speed, extended cab, 6 lug.

I know on paper there should be a significant difference, but I just don't "feel" it. The V6 is smoother and thirstier, but I can't see it being some sort of match-made-in-heaven for a 40. I happen to enjoy the tractor-like qualities of my '67. lol

So I have a 98 v6 and thinking I can put it into my project 40. wondering if the stock v6 trans and transfer case will work in the 40 or if it will be too long ?
I'll have to look if the parts truck has offset axles like the Landcruiser.

So I have a 98 v6 and thinking I can put it into my project 40. wondering if the stock v6 trans and transfer case will work in the 40 or if it will be too long ?
I'll have to look if the parts truck has offset axles like the Landcruiser.
This is the same power train swap I'm doing in my 40. You can use the donor truck trans but you'll need a t100 transfer case to get the correct drop for the front axle. This will also leave you with a centered output to the rear diff, I'm going to do a mini truck diff in the rear to cure this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom