2017 Used LC - undercarriage pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum and hopefully posting this to the correct thread. I see this forum has a lot of experts and enthusiasts of Land Cruisers. So, I was wondering if I could get some excellent advice from y'all. I am looking to buy a used 2017 Land Cruiser and was hoping if you could look at the below pics of the undercarriage of this LC and comment if you see any issues with rust and corrosion, as well as anything else.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Last edited:
if the price is right, buy it!!!! that is all normal surface rust.... nothing to worry about

Looks great!!

I have that section of skid plate if you want it from when I replaced with aftermarket skids. Yours for shipping costs

Looks pretty good to me, considering you'll just be driving it in CT.

If that skid wasn't just pulled off for the pictures, when you replace it run a tap through the threads of the holes for the mounting bolts, and grease those bolts before installing. I see rust in one hole and you wouldn't want that to lock the bolt up and cause issues later.

Most local Toyotas look worse fresh off the delivery truck. Go for it!

has this been re-geared? it looks like the rear diff was replaced, and the rear drive shaft is scuffed.

other than that everything looks normal, other than the missing skid plate.

That is MINT (by New England standards). GO for it!

has this been re-geared? it looks like the rear diff was replaced, and the rear drive shaft is scuffed.

other than that everything looks normal, other than the missing skid plate.
Yeah I wonder about the diff

That little bit of rust is nothing to worry about. If you buy that truck, it won't take you long to wire brush those spots and hit them with some rattle can flat black to prevent that rust from growing. In CT where they salt the roads you are going to want to undercoat the car with something like fluid-film to prevent any rust going forward.

Someone made a good point about the rear diff. The numbers, 11126, aren't normally there. Could be a used differential, could be the previous owner pulled it to have it re-geared and the shop marked it. Can't tell from the pics if the front diff is marked as well. If it has a locker or lockers that might explain it.

EDIT: At least I dont think that numbering belongs. Maybe others will confirm their trucks had it from the factory and it isnt a concern.

Last edited:
My diff has a similar number "0417" in that same spot, similar handwriting, also upside down. The plot thickens...

It's clean, but I wonder if posts like this are just troll posts...or are people that worried about literally 1 patch of surface rust?
I say that in the nicest way possible, not trying to sound pretentious.

What makes you think the diff has been replaced? The driveshaft seems normal for something under a vehicle for three years, at least to me.

It's clean, but I wonder if posts like this are just troll posts...or are people that worried about literally 1 patch of surface rust?
I say that in the nicest way possible, not trying to sound pretentious.

Not troll posts at all. Living in texas, I can own a vehicle for decades and have literally zero rust. While I don't care about a little surface rust on the frame, over the long haul (how long I plan to keep mine) bolts and things will begin to rust in place, dramatically increasing the difficulty level of frame and suspension work. There is no reason for me to accept a vehicle with ANY rust at all.. but if someone is living in CT and rust is a foregone conclusion, looking for a truck as clean as I'd want is pointless.

So many of us plan to keep these vehicles for so long that we hold them to a higher standard than most cars.

Just remembered.. have a look at the KDSS valve body. If that is bad at all, consider passing. That is one area that rusts quicker than most, and can prove very expensive/difficult to sort out.

....Not troll posts at all. Living in texas, I can own a vehicle for decades and have literally zero rust. While I don't care about a little surface rust on the frame, over the long haul (how long I plan to keep mine) bolts and things will begin to rust in place, dramatically increasing the difficulty level of frame and suspension work. There is no reason for me to accept a vehicle with ANY rust at all.. but if someone is living in CT and rust is a foregone conclusion, looking for a truck as clean as I'd want is pointless.

So many of us plan to keep these vehicles for so long that we hold them to a higher standard than most cars.
Understandable. Just seems to be a higher volume than before across all models. Maybe Mods can create a "please give advice on this truck" sub forum?

Understandable. Just seems to be a higher volume than before across all models. Maybe Mods can create a "please give advice on this truck" sub forum?
I've been in this subforum for 2.5 years and this is very common

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom