2017 Portsmouth Island trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Four recoveries total. One of them was not my truck, but definitely my fault.

Ninja edit: Got some really great photos too.
Woah! what? where's the rest of the story?

Woah! what? where's the rest of the story?
1. @SeanLX became one with the sand because of some idiot photographer egging him on. Pictures to follow.
2. @forrest5000 had electrical gremlins during the Friday water crossing to Portsmouth Village. He got a tow from @AJR.
3. Guy in an '05 Tundra attempted to cross to Portsmouth Village at Jeep speed (plus alcohol) and blew up his motor. Got towed out of the way by @AJR. Eric and Adam both took all the trucks occupants back to the beach side when we crossed back over.
4. @forrest5000 had similar electrical gremlins crop up on the return water crossing and was helped out in the last hundred yards by @AJR.

1. @SeanLX became one with the sand because of some idiot photographer egging him on. Pictures to follow.
2. @forrest5000 had electrical gremlins during the Friday water crossing to Portsmouth Village. He got a tow from @AJR.
3. Guy in an '05 Tundra attempted to cross to Portsmouth Village at Jeep speed (plus alcohol) and blew up his motor. Got towed out of the way by @AJR. Eric and Adam both took all the trucks occupants back to the beach side when we crossed back over.
4. @forrest5000 had similar electrical gremlins crop up on the return water crossing and was helped out in the last hundred yards by @AJR.
Good thing @AJR went on the trip.

Distributor got wet,

Did anyone find a petzl headlamp after we left?

Hmm forest and electrical issues. They follows him apparently. Lol. Can't wait to see all the pics guys.

I did not get stuck lol damn starter took a crap on me. I will try and get some pics up too, I posted some on my FB and Instagram pages

I did not get stuck lol damn starter took a crap on me. I will try and get some pics up too, I posted some on my FB and Instagram pages
Starter in a 100 series = PITA

IMG_1336.jpg
IMG_1342.jpg
IMG_1327.jpg
IMG_1354.jpg

Well, since nobody else has done it, I'll give a brief (yeah, right) report: Weather was good. Temps got higher every day and night. Didn't see rain until a brief misting very early on Sunday while the early departure folks were loading up and troubleshooting problems. Wind picked up throughout Saturday and a gale watch was posted for Saturday night/Sunday morning but nothing ever came from it.

The island wasn't as crowded as in years past. In fact, although the 20 cabins were all booked up for the dates of our trip, I think most of them were empty. Go figure.

Everybody pitched in, as usual, for group meals. Some cooked, some cleaned, some provided cooler/fridge space. There were a few Envirocoolers on hand and they all worked well. I definitely recommend getting one from the RAL-area Habitat for Humanity ReStores if you've haven't. I hear that you'll have to source your own 120v adapter now for home use but that's been covered in the Enviro thread.

@Green Hell Mustang took off 24 hours early in fear of the storms that were forecast. Turns out he shouldn't have but it was definitely a good idea at the time. He left behind his food stuff and @SeanLX, Marie and I whipped up his steak fajitas. There was something else we made that night...what was it? I'm terrible at remembering these things...I guess it was...SEAN'S 7.5lb BLACK DRUM!!! I'll let him post the pic as mine is terrible.

@DeeRex @SeanLX @77 KROOZER @forrest5000 and myself leapfrogged 10 fishing rigs all over the island trying to do what wasn't being done anywhere - catch fish. It was bad this year. As in some of us could have used the same piece of bait for 3 days bad. It finally came down to Sean, Derek and myself late Saturday afternoon and I took off to catch up to Derek while Sean tried a spot he had marked earlier in the day. Turns out I followed a ghost 15 miles south because I didn't know Derek had given up and driven north to the Village with @AJR and @77 KROOZER. So I picked a spot and set up shop after calling Sean to alert him to a growing channel running perpendicular to the shore as the tide was coming in. 30 minutes later he pulls in next to me and throws out his lines. Then he asks me to open his cooler and grab the mullets to cut up for bait. I got a beer from my truck instead. Then he asked me again. I found something else to do. Then again. Another beer. Then he says, "Just look in the damn cooler". And behold! There it was, radiating out of the bait cooler like Marcellus Wallace's soul in a black briefcase. His first fish of the trip. A legal fish, at that! What a sight! It justified the purchase of one his 2 new rod/reels (the cheaper one, IIRC. It's always the cheaper one).

We had another fishing first on this trip. Derek caught a legal flounder. The first flounder I can remember on these trips. So there's now an exclusive club within the club: People who have caught keeper fish on ONSC Portsmouth trips. Sean (black drum), Derek (flounder), and me (red drum). Terrible, I know. We got a few small black drum, some small bluefish and a skate or two in addition to the eaters. Seriously, even the puffers and other bait stealers were absent this year.

Other good stuff - Adam AJR steamed some sand oysters on the beach Friday and Saturday nights around Shandor's fires. Shandor built fires. Only one cabin turned on the heat, and only once. I didn't burn any food and didn't serve any sand, for once! Sarah brought a vacuum. I remembered to bring fuzzy bathmats for the entry and shower. The cabin deck hose didn't leak 24/7. Meatball's guest, Deb, was awesome...much better than Meatball. Raccoons (trash pandas) were everywhere; the first one was spotted in daylight climbing a deck post outside #17. Nobody got bit by, or ran over, a raccoon.

That's all I remember for now. Maybe someone else took pics. All of mine are already posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom