Builds 2007 LX470 Super Cruiser build with Elate Mfg Supercharger (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the difference between the Nomad VB and doing a shift kit with new solenoids?

What do the valve bodies do. Im curious to see if this should be put on my mod Wishlist.

What do the valve bodies do. Im curious to see if this should be put on my mod Wishlist.

What's the difference between the Nomad VB and doing a shift kit with new solenoids?
I think the shift kit increases the RPM and firmness of the shift while the valve body upgrade increases the line pressure for each gear which improves holding power and reduces slip. I think the Nomad VB upgrade also includes a shift kit.

You were running e85 prior to the supercharger correct? you said that the stock ecu was able to keep up with fueling without the piggyback needing to add fuel, do you think that’s because of the e-85 kit already adding more fuel?

You were running e85 prior to the supercharger correct? you said that the stock ecu was able to keep up with fueling without the piggyback needing to add fuel, do you think that’s because of the e-85 kit already adding more fuel?
Yep the flex fuel kit I have already acts as a piggyback and increases the fuel injector pulse width depending on ethanol %. With the adjustable fuel pressure regulator I can dial in the AFR during WOT.

Yep the flex fuel kit I have already acts as a piggyback and increases the fuel injector pulse width depending on ethanol %. With the adjustable fuel pressure regulator I can dial in the AFR during WOT.

Just to confirm, you're running "stock" 12 hole injectors with e85 and a blower and they're keeping up?

Just to confirm, you're running "stock" 12 hole injectors with e85 and a blower and they're keeping up?
Yes sir, the adjustable fuel regulator also. The regulator is a rising rate so every 1psi of boost increases fuel pressure by 1psi so as boost builds so does fuel pressure which helps out.

Yes sir, the adjustable fuel regulator also. The regulator is a rising rate so every 1psi of boost increases fuel pressure by 1psi so as boost builds so does fuel pressure which helps out.

I'm amazed that they aren't beyond their limits!

@J1000 how does the evap system work with FI? The system needs a vacuum source and I’m not sure if it’s manifold vacuum or ported vacuum but regardless, your manifold will only see vacuum with the throttle closed; at idle or deceleration. I’m curious how the new manifold etc accommodate this, I am assuming you have it hooked up or the leak detection system would throw codes. Also curious if it’s possible that this could allow a boost leak if it doesn’t have a check valve or something - it could theoretically pressurize the gas tank or leak boost to atmosphere through the charcoal canister.

@J1000 how does the evap system work with FI? The system needs a vacuum source and I’m not sure if it’s manifold vacuum or ported vacuum but regardless, your manifold will only see vacuum with the throttle closed; at idle or deceleration. I’m curious how the new manifold etc accommodate this, I am assuming you have it hooked up or the leak detection system would throw codes. Also curious if it’s possible that this could allow a boost leak if it doesn’t have a check valve or something - it could theoretically pressurize the gas tank or leak boost to atmosphere through the charcoal canister.
The Elate blower already has ports post throttle body and pre charger to give vacuum to the EVAP, PCV, PS etc. It's literally plug and play except for the water neck mod.

Last edited:
Love that you went for this supercharger kit!

What tires are you running? How much does your rig weigh?

Asking, because a re-gear in the diffs might wake it up to another level. I have this same engine\trans combo in an 06 Tundra that I re-geared to 4.56 because of larger tires and high elevation. The gear change made a huge difference.

Love that you went for this supercharger kit!

What tires are you running? How much does your rig weigh?

Asking, because a re-gear in the diffs might wake it up to another level. I have this same engine\trans combo in an 06 Tundra that I re-geared to 4.56 because of larger tires and high elevation. The gear change made a huge difference.
Currently I am running 275/70/18 which are a true 33" but when they wear out I'm going back to 285/65/18 which I had previously. The 285s are more like a 32.5" but when aired down they are actually taller than the 275 and run better on the highway etc.

No way, no how is gearing going to give the same performance increase as the blower. Yesterday I did my first real towing test with the blower and I am completely stoked. I drove about 150 miles across the Denver Metro area to drop off a Sequoia. If anyone knows Denver it's hilly, constantly going up and down. With the blower I just kept it in 4th and cruised along keeping pace with traffic easily.

I am almost more impressed with the partial throttle performance than the WOT performance. This thing just loves cruising at 3000 RPM all day. I'm guessing the Sequoia is a little heavier and definitely bulkier than my 80-series I plan to town regularly so it was a good test. My 100 is a frickin beast now.

I got 11 MPG loaded and 12 MPG on the return trip. When it was stock I would have gotten probably 9 MPG if I did the same speeds or I would have had to slow down to get above 10 MPG. Super happy with the results! The real test will come when I head up I-70 into the mountains for the first time. I can also tell that the intercooler is working, the power is always crisp and eager. With heatsoak the power starts to feel soft as the ECU pulls timing, but that never happens once moving. After parking for a little bit the truck feels a little sluggish and soft, but as soon as you get some MPH then it feels crisp and strong again.

uzjDIhV.jpg

Here are some photos to show just how this thing pulls. This is after a slowdown on the highway down to about 50 MPH then it starts accelerating again. It stays in 4th gear at 2000RPM and the boost comes in and it just goes. This was also up a hill.

H1TsQen.jpg

TiTgfeJ.jpg

Before, without the supercharger this would have required a downshift to 3rd and a run up to redline, and it would have been a lot slower.

Trans temps are totally fine. The thing actually runs cooler now once it gets on the highway because it hardly ever shifts! This is the temps after 1.5 hours on the highway towing the Sequoia:

pL0AH6F.png

Last edited:
I think the shift kit increases the RPM and firmness of the shift while the valve body upgrade increases the line pressure for each gear which improves holding power and reduces slip. I think the Nomad VB upgrade also includes a shift kit.
You get one of these VBs yet. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Nomad and hoping someone has some input

Pulled this out of my tire. Kept driving. Ridge Grapplers are frickin beast.

HVkLh1W.jpg

Been having some fuel issues which I think I figured out for the most part. I bought a new fuel pump resistor and evap canister. I was having weird issues with surging and the AFR going rich and lean after idling for an extended period of time when it was really hot. I recently replaced my fuel pump so I started thinking fuel pump resistor. Mine was original so I replaced it, so far it seems to have fixed that issue. I got an evap canister for a 2008 Scion and it's about 1/2 the price of the 100-series canister but identical. It's maybe 1/2" shorter otherwise identical. Plug and play. I've been running a Scion evap can from the junkyard for the last 40k or something and it was leaking. From my junkyard snooping it looks like the similar era Camry and Prius also have the same evap canister. The same part is used on a small 1.8L car with a 10 gallon gas tank and a 4.7L truck with 24 gallons. Makes sense.

0in4HuL.jpg

0bRqaxS.jpg

MSRY9l1.jpg

P8tK5H0.jpg

Also I've been smelling fuel from the engine bay and thought I had a fuel leak somewhere but couldn't pinpoint it. I picked up a handy $30 fuel leak detector and was able to figure out two of my passenger side fuel injectors have a slight leak. (Amazon product ASIN B0871KX5MF) I had a hell of a time getting the fuel rails lined up with the spacers and the injectors and everything I'm guessing I pinched an o-ring. Will get that sorted and replace the fuel filter at the same time.

OZyqt5m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wholesale Automatics Nomad Valvebody installed! Only drove it briefly but she shifts like a BMW now!

It was pretty straightforward, the WA instruction video is really good it walks you through every step. Just made a huge mess and dripped all over me. This was my first time doing any work on an auto so I was a little worried but it turned out to be pretty easy.

Got them both on the bench and swapped over the solenoids. I wiped em all clean and then dipped them in fresh ATF. I also poured fresh ATF all over the cracks and crevices before putting it back together. I don't know anything about autos but it seemed like the right thing to do. Plus that way it would drip all over me when reinstalling.

I just followed the Toyota refill procedure and used a pesticide sprayer like others have mentioned on the forum. Used Valvoline Maxlife ATF which seems to be the best to use (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008QDV2JG?th=1). I ended up needing about 5 quarts.

7q9sIKW.jpg

4BibUlK.jpg

oqKjimi.jpg

fz72bMb.jpg

I've only driven it a short time so far but it definitely sharpened up the shifts. I just got the Stage 1 upgrade so it shifts similar to a BMW or Mercedes trans. Quicker shifts, slightly firmer but not too much which is what I was hoping for. Still very comfortable. Also whatever it did to the torque converter I have to re-calibrate my throttle foot because now it just takes off from a stop with the smallest bit of throttle. Wasn't expecting that but I like it. I also have the manual TCC lockup kit I will install that another day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom