2003 LX: SAS...or Sell

nukegoat

Should have bought a Jeep
SILVER Star
Visit site
I'd guess 30-40k. Depends on axles used, air lockers, tire size, etc... If you want to run huge tires ala @nukegoat style I doubt any shop would do it for less than 80k.

Most people are better off buying the nicest 80 series they can find; or waiting a few years until 105's become importable.

The cost of just parts under the Lexus is approx $32k in case anyone is keeping track. Probably 25k of that is the SAS componentry.

Axles, wheels, tires, suspension, steering, links, skid plates, bumpers, etc.

ClassyJalopy

Meanwhile...
SILVER Star
Visit site
The cost of just parts under the Lexus is approx $32k in case anyone is keeping track. Probably 25k of that is the SAS componentry.

Axles, wheels, tires, suspension, steering, links, skid plates, bumpers, etc.
You should've bought a Jeep!

Kidding aside, it seems stuffing a v8 in a 60 or 80 is cheaper than putting a solid axle under a 100! Also, I suspect in a couple of years you might be able to import a whole 105 for a little less than what it'd cost to convert a 100!!

saucebox

Slobivius Americanus
Website
twitter.com

Kidding aside, it seems stuffing a v8 in a 60 or 80 is cheaper than putting a solid axle under a 100! Also, I suspect in a couple of years you might be able to import a whole 105 for a little less than what it'd cost to convert a 100!!

Loads cheaper. But I no longer have a 60 (sad face) and prefer the 100 platform to the 80 (except for the obvious...suspension).

A 60 with the 4.7 (and a conversion to coils) is about as close to dream vehicle as I could get, assuming I was stuck with North America parts only.

Visit site
so obviously my guesstimate was drastically lower than what it actually costs, but I’m curious how everything adds up? Skid plates and bumpers aren’t necessary for a SAS. I’ve done a SAS for an 87 Toyota pickup using a Dana 60, and it cost probably 6k max to put everything in. I know we’re talking LC/LXs, but the mechanical components are all the same general thing.
Please bear in mind I’m not flaming your build or anything like that, I think it’s sick. I’m just attempting to understand the economics of it all

Visit site
so obviously my guesstimate was drastically lower than what it actually costs, but I’m curious how everything adds up? Skid plates and bumpers aren’t necessary for a SAS. I’ve done a SAS for an 87 Toyota pickup using a Dana 60, and it cost probably 6k max to put everything in. I know we’re talking LC/LXs, but the mechanical components are all the same general thing.
Please bear in mind I’m not flaming your build or anything like that, I think it’s sick. I’m just attempting to understand the economics of it all
Bracket kit - $2500 from Trail-Tailor
80 series axles - $2500 from Junkyard if you want locked axles.
Labor - 1 MILLION Dollars!

saucebox

Slobivius Americanus
Website
twitter.com

No worries. 14K is everything. Wheels and tires were a little over 4K of that, the plasma cutter was something like $700. I also chose to rebuild everything and stick with 5 lugs, so there's a small pile of cash at Partsouq now to convert all that.

If you have the know-how to do the job already, you likely have the tools as well. I stabbed a V8 in a 60 series a long time ago, but making those two motor mounts was the extent of my knowledge before this. I borrowed that welder, and had a fabricator friend help me out getting things bent.

There's a ton of savings in there if you spec out cheaper springs, cheaper shocks, put off locking the third, and use the factory 80 radius arms instead of buying the DeltaVS arms (the Trail Tailor kit comes with plates for caster correction). That was my plan to begin with, but trying to put this all together during the pandemic meant I was either going to wait a long time for cheaper components or wait a long time for the stuff I actually wanted. It gave me another 6 months of saving up to just do it the way I wanted.

nukegoat

SILVER Star
Visit site

No because you'd still need to swap axles and better suspension etc. 80 axles meh

nukegoat

SILVER Star
Visit site
Yeah because everyone “needs” to swap axles lol. Cmon man. Not everyone is trying to build a monster truck here with 50” tires.
I was disagreeing that it's cheaper to swap a V8 into a hundy, not claiming it was necessary. I think a proper motor/trans swap is more expensive, especially in CA

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom