2002 Clunk When Shifting Forward to Reverse-TOO Much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a used 2002 LC, and occasionally there is a clunk when shifting from forward to reverse or vice versa. After doing some searching, and remembering back to an FJ that I owned; this is tied to the u-joints in the drive shafts. However, the LC is much worse than the FJ; to the point I am concerned that it might damage the transmission. Other than greasing the shafts, what have people done to bring this problem under control?

To keep from getting flamed, I did some searching prior to asking my question, and came back with greasing the fittings.

Before anyone lectures you about not using the search tool, lol.

The OFFICIAL clunk/thunk driveshaft thread

I recommend taking a look at the FAQ (frequently ask questions) Link on the 100 series Forum main page.

The most common causes for the R to D clunk (N to D or N to R) clunk is front drive shaft axle to hub flange teeth become worn down. Inspection: Front drive shaft and wheel should move together without play.

Front Axle Hub Flange backlash?
CV Swap / Wheel Bearings / AHC Lift / Other Needed Items???
CV Swap / Wheel Bearings / AHC Lift / Other Needed Items???

Bad Spider joint (AKA u-joint) will vibrate as you drive, as speed picks up they vibrate more.
How to visually inspect U-Joints?

Bad CV of front drive shaft will click as you drive, turning may change sound if outboard CV.

Propeller shaft rear (AKA rear drive shaft) clunk is mostly associated with braking, acceleration and speed bumps.

Many moving parts in drive train, some clunk is to be expected with age. Buy your's sounds like it need attention ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom