For Sale 2000 LC with cylinder misfire $5k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 100 Series
Mileage
I have a 2000 LC with 230k ish miles. I have replaced a ton of parts most listed below with oem, and I'm in the process of purchasing a newer 200 series. I've lost the drive to chase this last misfire issue and want to pass this project (any cruiser this old is a project) on to someone else. Local mech gave a $3,800 estimate to replace head gasket (next logical step for misfire). Assume engine is bad. Asking $5k for a rust free AZ vehicle with a ton of newer parts.

Parts replaced in last 5 years ( I'm sure I've missed a couple and have records for all work done):
New rear springs and all 4 shocks
Radiator
All bushings, rear upper and lower control arms, panhard, and sway bar
Front upper control arms
starter
alternator
all plugs and coils
injectors
fan shrowd
heater t's
cv axles
wheel bearings
steering rack
hub flanges
MAF
rotors and pads
Brand new ko2's

IMG-6943.jpg

IMG-6394.jpg

IMG-6398.jpg

IMG-6399.jpg

IMG-6400.jpg

IMG-6401.jpg

IMG-6402.jpg

Last edited:
Full disclosures is always best IMHO. Reputation, is more important than a few dollars.

If this is truly a blown head gasket. Which if just one cylinder, I've some doubt. As blown head gasket typically effect 2 cylinder next to each other. Misfire is more often spark plug or coil related.

So are we talking about $100 coil & spark plug Or a bad engine.

Do you have tech stream misfire screen shot, compression and coolant test results?

Full disclosures is always best IMHO. Reputation, is more important than a few dollars.

If this is truly a blown head gasket. Which if just one cylinder, I've some doubt. As blown head gasket typically effect 2 cylinder next to each other. Misfire is more often spark plug or coil related.

So are we talking about $100 coil & spark plug Or a bad engine.

Do you have tech stream misfire screen shot, compression and coolant test results?
It's mainly cylinder 1 but will randomly show 3 and 7 as well. All plugs and coils are new and injectors in those cylinders were replaced in the last couple weeks while chasing the issue down.

It's mainly cylinder 1 but will randomly show 3 and 7 as well. All plugs and coils are new and injectors in those cylinders were replaced in the last couple weeks while chasing the issue down.
Runs fine when warmed up, only has issue when starting cold.

One theory. The headgasket could be allowing a small amount of coolant to leak into the cylinder when not running. When you start it it just takes a minute to burn off the coolant before it starts to run right. How long does it misfire for after you start it? You could take the spark plug out of the offending cylinder, let it set over night, then start it and see if any coolant comes out of the spark plug hole. I once had an acura that did this.

Dang dude, I just bought this same year and color in Tucson and have the same issue. I need to reread the techstream results to assess whats going on. I hope it is not a gasket issue. If fixed, please update your thread

Actually without more info and being distance purchase. I'd wouldn't offer much more than $500 either. It would have to be a steel for me to buy. $500 is that! It will cost me ~$1k to get here. I'd assume engine swap. So I'd be in about $4k plus my labor, just to start restoring. I'd also assume all the usually stuff a 22 yr old w/250K will need less your list of parts.

One with unclear issue, I assume the worst. Which sound like warped head. Which is engine swap in most cases, as likely compression difficult to get reading on! It can be hard to find good ones to swap in.

But in reality, if more info can pinpoint issue, and a local buyer to you. Likely worth ~$7K. Extra if that is the rose color. .

Obviously posting in tech section, you'll get offers. GLWS. Someone may get a sweet ride with a little work.

Last edited:
swap the engine with a good used one, there's this guy in MT with one and can ship.

I'll give you 50 cents and you can keep the tires! Seriously, have you checked compression cold and warm?
I believe compression was low on cylinder 1 but within tolerances. I’ll ask the mech when I pick it up. I’d assume warm it is fine as there are no issues when warm.

Just pretend it is the 70s and go outside and start your rig 10 min before you leave. I understand your frustration, but this seems like a minor issue to make you offload an otherwise well sorted rig.

I believe compression was low on cylinder 1 but within tolerances. I’ll ask the mech when I pick it up. I’d assume warm it is fine as there are no issues when war
Just pretend it is the 70s and go outside and start your rig 10 min before you leave. I understand your frustration, but this seems like a minor issue to make you offload an otherwise well sorted rig.
I agree, I was already planning on offloading the rig as I’m buying a 200 series! Just bad timing for the issue to show up…

I have a 2000 LC with 230k ish miles. I have replaced a ton of parts most listed below with oem, and I'm in the process of purchasing a newer 200 series. I've lost the drive to chase this last misfire issue and want to pass this project (any cruiser this old is a project) on to someone else. My question is what would be a fair price to list it at with a full disclosure of current misfire issue. Local mech gave a $3,800 estimate to replace head gasket (next logical step for misfire).

Parts replaced in last 5 years ( I'm sure I've missed a couple and have records for all work done):
Radiator
All bushings, rear upper and lower control arms, panhard, and sway bar
Front upper control arms
starter
alternator
all plugs and coils
injectors
fan shrowd
heater t's
cv axles
wheel bearings
steering rack
hub flanges
MAF
rotors and pads
Brand new ko2's

View attachment 2865048

View attachment 2866036

View attachment 2866037

View attachment 2866038

View attachment 2866039

View attachment 2866045

View attachment 2866046

IMG-6404.jpg

IMG-6405.jpg

IMG-6406.jpg

IMG-6407.jpg

IMG-6408.jpg

IMG-6409.jpg

IMG-6410.jpg

IMG-6411.jpg

is this officially for sale now?
got a price in mind?

is this officially for sale now?
got a price in mind?
It got moved by the admin, I’d like to get around $10k for it but am open to offers. It’s still at the shop so I haven’t had a chance to talk to the mech yet after trying a bunch of less expensive options. If I can’t get close to $10k then I think I’d rather keep it.

Keep it or Sell for parts rig.

You're trickling in info here!

Blown head gasket/warped head, typically, compression below minimum, usually well below. I'd want compression, leak dn and all 8 cylinders scoped. plus coolant combustion test before I'd make a call on lower end (block) or heads.

You could even have some bad coils or spark/plugs. Typically coils act worse when hot, but not always. I've seen some misfire cold. Misfire does not set of DTC, unless coil fired.

Call it a dead engine, for lack of a proper diagnoses.

Bad leather -1,200
Bad carpet -300 (salvage yard)
Bad paint. -$5,000
Bad engine. -3,500
Usually 250K stuff $6,000
Dash questionable.
No rust. One good point.

Keep it or Sell for parts rig.

You're trickling in info here!

Blown head gasket/warped head, typically, compression below minimum, usually well below. I'd want compression, leak dn and all 8 cylinders scoped. plus coolant combustion test before I'd make a call on lower end (block) or heads.

You could even have some bad coils or spark/plugs. Typically coils act worse when hot, but not always. I've seen some misfire cold. Misfire does not set of DTC, unless coil fired.

Call it a dead engine, for lack of a proper diagnoses.

Bad leather -1,200
Bad carpet -300 (salvage yard)
Bad paint. -$5,000
Bad engine. -3,500
Usually 250K stuff $6,000
Dash questionable.
No rust. One good point.
While I agree with the majority of your diagnosis, the dash and usual 250k stuff are solid, and the paint in in pretty good condition minus the mirrors and door handles. There’s another shop in town that does mostly cruisers that I may take it to. That or sell it as a parts rig… Thanks for the info though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom