200 favorite Rock Sliders (3 Viewers)

what are the best rock sliders for the 200?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was looking for feedback on another 200 vendor. Has anyone here heard of or know about Rocky Road Outfitters? I was looking at their sliders.
Thanks

I was looking for feedback on another 200 vendor. Has anyone here heard of or know about Rocky Road Outfitters? I was looking at their sliders.
Thanks
I didn't see any specifics about how they mount but it appears they just bolt to the outer frame rail somehow. If so, you'll likely just rip the bolts out if you hit them hard. If they use u-bolts the mounting system will be stronger but the brackets will need to hang a bit below the frame rail and turn into anchors. Other sliders sandwich the frame rail or wrap under it putting the most important bolts in shear.

They also claim to not be able to bend their square tube with a 100-ton shop press.. they must not be trying very hard.

Save yourself some headache and just get a well reputed setup like Budbuilt or Slee. In this case the old “buy once, cry once” saying seems applicable. I have complete confidence in the engineering, design intent and build quality of Budbuilt products.

Just got the Slee sliders added last week. 2020 Heritage. I’m very happy and the customer service was top notch!

9137A284-520D-4CF0-B148-EE06A093C036.jpeg

That site has been up a long time for Rocky Road. I looked at them as an option for custom LX slider way back in 2018. The plate mount they picture is similar to how bud built does it. Looks plenty sturdy. Maybe call them and ask for a reference?

That site has been up a long time for Rocky Road. I looked at them as an option for custom LX slider way back in 2018. The plate mount they picture is similar to how bud built does it. Looks plenty sturdy. Maybe call them and ask for a reference?
Could be wrong, but doesn’t bud sandwich the frame between two plates?

Could be wrong, but doesn’t bud sandwich the frame between two plates?
The outside is a massive continuous 3/8" plate. It is sandwiched to the frame with a combo of captured nuts on "lollipop" fitting, and through-bolts to 1/4" thick plates. The bolts are 5/8".

The finish on my Budbuilt sliders has been a bit lacking to put it mildly. This is after about 4.5 months of strictly on road use (with the exception of our gravel driveway). I'm still in the process of resolving this issue with Budbuilt. I have confidence that it will be made right.

20210425_160108.jpg

20210425_152448.jpg

The finish on my Budbuilt sliders has been a bit lacking to put it mildly. This is after about 4.5 months of strictly on road use (with the exception of our gravel driveway). I'm still in the process of resolving this issue with Budbuilt. I have confidence that it will be made right.

View attachment 2675289

View attachment 2675290
The blame, if one wants to call it that, appears to be with whoever applied the finish be it paint or powder coat?

The blame, if one wants to call it that, appears to be with whoever applied the finish be it paint or powder coat?
@RET2 I had the same thought.

@goldwater58 Someone else had a set that corroded quickly too and posted about it here recently. In their case, if I recall correctly, they were purchase with powder coat from Budbuilt. I think the issue Rob mentioned was too thin a coat of powder? They stood behind the issue, and Rob drove several hours to swap them out with a new set. If yours were purchased with powder coat already on them, have you reached out to Budbuilt? My perception is that they really stand behind their products and take care of people. If someone else finished them with paint or powder, I’d contact the person that did that work to see if they’ll stand behind it.

Also, fwiw, that photo above was my first set of Budbuilt step sliders. I had them prepped, primed and painted at a local body shop with etching primer and Imron auto paint. They seemed to chip pretty easily with stones blasting them constantly. They also came out more shiny than I was hoping for. I bought my second set powdercoated by Budbuilt’s coater. They’re a bit more flat, and the finish seems much more durable.

I had the finish applied by BudBuilt (or whoever they sub it out to). I did reach out to Rob and he mentioned some sort of refund, but I haven't heard from him in a few weeks since then. Again, I'm confident that I'll be taken care of.

Will the MetalTech's work on a 2020 Heritage edition LC? Website says 2008-2018. Anyone with pictures on a 2020?
Putting the Metal-tech on my 2021 HE now. Same holes but only 3 per side are threaded. This means lots of rivnuts and pretty difficult. Start with extra rivnuts and drill bits. Once done the look great! As always, very high quality. Doing the install at home with my son.

20210605_202813.jpg

Filip from Dissent Off-road here,
Just wanted to chime in since this thread has been revived. Dissent Off-road makes aluminum step sliders for the 200 series. The frame brackets are steel, but we make the actual slider out of aluminum to save weight. Each side weighs 45lbs. Everything Dissent Off-road makes is manufactured in our facility in Colfax, CA, 100% Made in the USA.

200-slider-install-hero.jpg

And they do hold up off-road pretty well:

Last edited:
Filip from Dissent Off-road here,
Just wanted to chime in since this thread has been revived. Dissent Off-road makes aluminum step sliders for the 200 series. The frame brackets are steel, but we make the actual slider out of aluminum to save weight. Each side weighs 45lbs. Everything Dissent Off-road makes is manufactured in our facility in Colfax, CA, 100% Made in the USA.

View attachment 2697379

And they do hold up off-road pretty well:

Mine should be delivered this week. Along with my bumper. :)

I have White Knuckle sliders (Straight, DOM with full diamond plate) and have been very pleased. Coming down a very steep and loose trail I slid into a boulder - Slider took all the impact force and I drove away with a scuffed slider.... Had the flimsy factory step been there then I have no question it would have taken out the rear door and rocker panel.

I contacted BudBuilt this past weekend about cost and scheduling to have them install sliders and have yet to hear from them. I guess I’ll call them if I don’t hear back soon. I’m hoping to turn it into a nice sight seeing trip late in the summer (given the production lead times) with a day or 2 planned for them to do the install, but some decent communication from their end will be needed so I can schedule time off from work and plan lodging for the trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom